Convert the domain of the Tan function to interval notation?

In summary, the domain of the Tan function is all real numbers except for numbers that are odd multiples of π/2. To convert the domain to interval notation, we can use the notation (-∞, -π/2) U (-π/2, π/2) U (π/2, ∞). It is important to know the domain in order to avoid undefined values and ensure the function is well-defined. The domain cannot be extended beyond the real numbers, and it is similar to the Cot, Sec, and Csc functions but different from the Sin and Cos functions.
Tsubaki

Homework Statement

Hey guys. So basically I'm doing some Calc I homework and I'm working on the domain of this function:

g(x) = √tan(2x+π)

Homework Equations

Now to determine the domain, I know that the function under the root cannot be negative.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after examining the behaviour of tan on different intervals and only allowing positive tan values, I came to the conclusion that the domain of the function should be:

nπ/2 ≤ x ≤nπ/2 + π/4

But the part I'm stuck is converting the domain above into "Interval Notation", as the problem asks. I am used to these domains coming out as nice set intervals, such as (-∞, 2) ∪ (4, +∞), but I'm not seeing that here.

I'd appreciate the assistance. Thanks!

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsubaki said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys. So basically I'm doing some Calc I homework and I'm working on the domain of this function:

g(x) = √tan(2x+π)

Homework Equations

Now to determine the domain, I know that the function under the root cannot be negative.

The Attempt at a Solution

So after examining the behaviour of tan on different intervals and only allowing positive tan values, I came to the conclusion that the domain of the function should be:

nπ/2 ≤ x ≤nπ/2 + π/4

But the part I'm stuck is converting the domain above into "Interval Notation", as the problem asks. I am used to these domains coming out as nice set intervals, such as (-∞, 2) ∪ (4, +∞), but I'm not seeing that here.

I'd appreciate the assistance. Thanks!

Matt
Maybe something like this:
$$\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{Z}} [n \pi/2, n\pi/2 + \pi/4)$$
The above represents the union over an index in the integers of the half-open intervals listed.

Related to Convert the domain of the Tan function to interval notation?

1. What is the domain of the Tan function?

The domain of the Tan function is all real numbers except for numbers that are odd multiples of π/2, since these values result in undefined values for the Tan function.

2. How do you convert the domain of the Tan function to interval notation?

To convert the domain of the Tan function to interval notation, we can use the notation (-∞, -π/2) U (-π/2, π/2) U (π/2, ∞). This represents all real numbers except for odd multiples of π/2.

3. Why is it important to know the domain of a function?

The domain of a function determines the set of input values for which the function is defined. It is important to know the domain in order to avoid undefined values and to ensure that the function is well-defined.

4. Can the domain of the Tan function be extended beyond the real numbers?

No, the domain of the Tan function cannot be extended beyond the real numbers. Any values outside of the real number system would result in undefined values for the Tan function.

5. How does the domain of the Tan function compare to other trigonometric functions?

The domain of the Tan function is similar to the domain of the Cot, Sec, and Csc functions, as they all have values that result in undefined values. However, the domain of the Sin and Cos functions includes all real numbers.