Verifying That A Function Is A Solution To DE

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying if a given function is an explicit solution of a first-order differential equation, considering the function's domain and its definition interval as a solution. The function and differential equation in question are y = 5 tan 5x and y' = 25 + y^2, respectively. The conversation concludes by discussing the need for at least one interval of definition for the solution, taking into account both the tangent and secant functions.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Hello, I am suppose to verify that the indicated function
[itex]y = \phi (x)[/itex] is an explicit solution of the given first-order
differential equation. Then I am suppose to consider [itex]\phi[/itex] simply as a function, giving its domain; and then I am suppose to consider it as a solution, giving at least one interval of definition.

The differential equation: [itex]y' = 25 + y^2[/itex]

The possible solution: [itex]y = 5 \tan 5x[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the domain to be [itex]\displaystyle ... \cup (\frac{(2k -1) \pi)}{10},\frac{(2k +1) \pi)}{10}) \cup (\frac{(2k +1) \pi)}{10},\frac{(2k +3) \pi)}{10}) \cup (\frac{(2k -3) \pi)}{10},\frac{(2k +5) \pi)}{10}) \cup ... [/itex]

And I was able to show that the function satisfied the DE, thus being solution:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} [5 \tan 5x] = 25 + (5 \tan 5x)^2[/itex]

[itex]25 \sec^2 5x = 25(1 + \tan^2 5x)[/itex]

[itex]25 \sec^2 5x =25 \sec^2 5x [/itex], which is a true statement.

What I am unsure of is, what should the interval of solution be? Does it have to in any way reflect the domain restrictions of the sec function, or only the tan?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you need "at least one interval", I would suggest just giving the largest open interval about ##x=0## such that neither the tangent nor secant has a singularity.

Okay, so I am suppose to find an interval for x such that differential equation and its solution are defined; that is, I have to take into account both tan and sec. I wasn't sure if this was the case or not. Thank you, LCkurtz.

Related to Verifying That A Function Is A Solution To DE

What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how one or more variables change over time. It involves derivatives, which specify the rate of change of the variables.

What is a solution to a DE?

A solution to a DE is a function that satisfies the equation when substituted into it. It represents the relationship between the variables described by the DE.

What is the process for verifying that a function is a solution to a DE?

The process involves substituting the function into the DE and checking if it satisfies the equation. This can be done by taking derivatives of the function and comparing them to the derivatives in the DE. If they are equal, then the function is a solution.

What should be checked in order to verify that a function is a solution to a DE?

It is important to check that the function is continuous and differentiable in the given domain, and that it satisfies any initial or boundary conditions specified in the DE. Additionally, the function should satisfy the DE for all values in the given domain.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when verifying a function as a solution to a DE?

Common mistakes include not checking for all possible solutions, not verifying the function for all values in the domain, and not properly applying initial or boundary conditions. It is also important to check for any simplification errors or mistakes in taking derivatives.