Continuity of an arc in the complex plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an arc and a simple arc in relation to the curve C(t). The definition of a simple arc is given and it is stated that a simple arc cannot have gaps and cannot cross itself. The question is raised about what would happen if the two curves that make up C(t) did not coincide in the complex plane. It is also mentioned that the function C(t) can be defined in two parts but this does not have a mathematical significance.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I have a rather simple question. I have the curve

##
C(t) =
\begin{cases}
1 + it & \text{if}~ 0 \le t \le 2 \\
(t-1) + 2i & \text{if }~ 2 \le t \le 3
\end{cases}
##

which is obviously formed from the two curves. This curve is regarded as an arc if the functions ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are continuous real mappings. Clearly each individual curve has continuous real mappings. But here is my concern: what if the two curves did not coincide somewhere in the complex plane, that is, they were not joined somewhere? Would the curve ##C(t)## no longer be an arc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another question I have relates to an arc being a simple arc. The definition of this concept is the following:

An arc is simple arc if, on ##a < t < b##, ##t_1 \ne t_2## implies ##C(t_1) \ne C(t_2)##, e.g. the function is one-to-one.

So, according to this definition, if a curve is composed of smaller curves, such as the one given in the first post, then no individual curve can cross itself, but it is possible for one of the other curves to cross another curve. Is this right?

Bashyboy said:
Would the curve ##C(t)## no longer be an arc?
Right, an arc cannot have "gaps".
Bashyboy said:
then no individual curve can cross itself
Why not? C(t)=sin(2t) + i sin(3t) for 0<t<2pi
In fact, those cases ("define it in two parts") are just used for notation - they have no special mathematical meaning.

Doesn't the condition ##t_1 \ne t_2 \implies C(t_1) \ne C(t_2)## means that the curve never crosses itself?

A "simple arc" never does that by definition in post 2, but a general curve can (violating this condition if it does).

Related to Continuity of an arc in the complex plane

What is the definition of continuity for an arc in the complex plane?

Continuity for an arc in the complex plane refers to the ability of the arc to be drawn as a continuous curve without any breaks or disjointed points.

How is the continuity of an arc in the complex plane determined?

The continuity of an arc in the complex plane is determined by examining the behavior of the arc at each point along its length. If the arc can be drawn without any disruptions, it is considered continuous.

Can an arc in the complex plane be discontinuous?

Yes, an arc in the complex plane can be discontinuous if it has breaks or disjointed points along its length. This means that the arc cannot be drawn as a continuous curve.

What is the significance of continuity for an arc in the complex plane?

The continuity of an arc in the complex plane is important in studying and understanding the behavior of functions and curves in the complex plane. It allows for smooth and uninterrupted mathematical operations and analysis.

How does the concept of continuity in the complex plane relate to real-life applications?

The concept of continuity in the complex plane has various real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It helps in analyzing and predicting the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.