R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings.... Another Question .... Remmert, Section 1.2, Ch. 0 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, R-Linear and C-Linear mappings are types of linear transformations between vector spaces that preserve vector space operations. R-Linear mappings are defined over real vector spaces, while C-Linear mappings are defined over complex vector spaces. They differ in the type of vector space they operate on, with R-Linear only operating on real numbers and C-Linear operating on both real and complex numbers. These mappings are used to transform vectors between different vector spaces, making it easier to analyze and manipulate data. In the field of complex analysis, Remmert, Section 1.2, Ch. 0 provides a foundation for understanding the applications of R-Linear and C-Linear mappings. In scientific research, these mappings are used to
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Reinhold Remmert's book "Theory of Complex Functions" ...I am focused on Chapter 0: Complex Numbers and Continuous Functions ... and in particular on Section 1.2:\(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\)-linear and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear mappings of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) into \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) ... ... I need help in order to fully understand one of Remmert's results regarding \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear mappings of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) into \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) ... ... Remmert's section on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\)-linear and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear mappings of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) into \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) reads as follows:
View attachment 8543
View attachment 8544In the above text by Remmert we read the following: (... fairly near the start of the text ...)

" ... ... An \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\)-linear mapping \(\displaystyle T : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}\) is then \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear when \(\displaystyle T(i) = i T(1)\); in this case it has the form \(\displaystyle T(z) = T(1) z\). ... ... "My questions are as follows:Question 1

How/why exactly is an \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\)-linear mapping \(\displaystyle T : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}\) also \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear when \(\displaystyle T(i) = i T(1)\) ... ... ?
Question 2

Why/how exactly does a \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\)-linear mapping have the form \(\displaystyle T(z) = T(1) z\) ... ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    16.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    44.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Peter,

I am happy to assist you with understanding Remmert's results regarding \mathbb{C}-linear mappings of \mathbb{C} into \mathbb{C}. Let me address your questions one by one.

Question 1:

An \mathbb{R}-linear mapping T : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} is a function that satisfies the following properties:

1. T(a+b) = T(a) + T(b) for all a,b \in \mathbb{C}
2. T(ka) = kT(a) for all k \in \mathbb{R} and a \in \mathbb{C}

Now, in order for T to be \mathbb{C}-linear, it needs to satisfy the following properties:

1. T(a+b) = T(a) + T(b) for all a,b \in \mathbb{C}
2. T(ka) = kT(a) for all k \in \mathbb{C} and a \in \mathbb{C}

Since i \in \mathbb{C}, we can rewrite the second property as T(ia) = iT(a). Now, if we substitute a = 1, we get T(i) = iT(1). This means that T(i) = i T(1) is a necessary condition for T to be \mathbb{C}-linear.

Question 2:

A \mathbb{C}-linear mapping T : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} has the form T(z) = T(1)z because of the following reasoning. Since T is \mathbb{C}-linear, we know that T(ia) = iT(a) for all a \in \mathbb{C}. Now, let z = a+bi \in \mathbb{C}. Then, T(z) = T(a+bi) = T(a) + iT(b) = T(1)a + iT(1)b = T(1)(a+bi) = T(1)z. Therefore, we can see that T(z) = T(1)z for all z \in \mathbb{C}.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of Remmert's results. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings.... Another Question .... Remmert, Section 1.2, Ch. 0 .... ....

1. What are R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings?

R-Linear and C-Linear mappings are types of linear transformations between vector spaces. R-Linear mappings are defined over real vector spaces, while C-Linear mappings are defined over complex vector spaces. These mappings preserve the vector space operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings differ?

The main difference between R-Linear and C-Linear mappings is the type of vector space they are defined over. R-Linear mappings are defined over real vector spaces, while C-Linear mappings are defined over complex vector spaces. This means that R-Linear mappings can only operate on real numbers, while C-Linear mappings can operate on both real and complex numbers.

3. What is the purpose of R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings?

R-Linear and C-Linear mappings are used to transform vectors from one vector space to another while preserving the vector space operations. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of vector spaces, as well as providing a way to map between different types of vector spaces.

4. What is the significance of Remmert, Section 1.2, Ch. 0 in regards to R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings?

Remmert, Section 1.2, Ch. 0 is a chapter in a book dedicated to the study of complex analysis. In this section, the author discusses R-Linear and C-Linear mappings as they relate to complex analysis. This chapter provides a foundation for understanding the applications of R-Linear and C-Linear mappings in the field of complex analysis.

5. How are R-Linear and C-Linear Mappings used in scientific research?

R-Linear and C-Linear mappings are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to analyze and manipulate data. They are particularly useful in studying complex systems and phenomena, as well as in designing algorithms and models for scientific research. They also have applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.