Complex & Real Differentiability ... Remmert, Section 2, Ch 1

In summary: Longleftrightarrow \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} =0$$ with a complex number ##z \in \mathbb
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Reinhold Remmert's book "Theory of Complex Functions" ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Complex-Differential Calculus ... and in particular on Section 2: Complex and Real Differentiability ... ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand the relationship between complex and real differentiability ... ...

Remmert's section on complex and real differentiability reads as follows:
?temp_hash=f9a2d1d32bc609fb064aff024fb25eab.png

In the above text from Remmert, we read the following ... ... just below 1. Characterization of complex-differentiable functions ... ...

" ... ... If ##f : D \to C## is complex-differentiable at ##c## then ...##\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h} = 0##From this and (1) it follows immediately that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable and have ##\mathbb{C}##-linear differentials ... ...

... ... ... "
Can someone please explain (formally and rigorously) how/why

(i) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable ... ...

(ii) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings have ##\mathbb{C}##-linear differentials ... ...(***NOTE: I suspect the answer to (i) is that the form of the two limits is essentially the same ... although I'm concerned about the presence of norms in one and not the other ... and also that we can identify ##\mathbb{C}## with ##\mathbb{R}^2## as a vector space ... is that correct?)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=======================================================================================
Physics Forum readers of the above post may benefit from access to Remmert's section defining R-linear and C-linear mappings ... so I am providing access to that text ... as follows:

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• Remmert - 1 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 1 ... .png
    Remmert - 1 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 1 ... .png
    27.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Remmert - 2 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 2 ... .png
    Remmert - 2 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 2 ... .png
    32 KB · Views: 437
  • Remmert - 3 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1  - PART 3 ... .png
    Remmert - 3 - Complex and Real Differentiability - Section 2, Ch. 1 - PART 3 ... .png
    23.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    Remmert - 1 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 1 .png
    32.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    Remmert - 2 - R-linear and C-linear Mappings, Ch. 0, Section 1.2 ... PART 2 .png
    32.7 KB · Views: 372
  • ?temp_hash=f9a2d1d32bc609fb064aff024fb25eab.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 579
    32 KB · Views: 872
    23.9 KB · Views: 595
    32.2 KB · Views: 535
    32.7 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
" ... ... If ##f : D \to C## is complex-differentiable at ##c## then ...##\displaystyle \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h} = 0##From this and (1) it follows immediately that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable and have ##\mathbb{C}##-linear differentials ... ...

... ... ... "
Can someone please explain (formally and rigorously) how/why

(i) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings are real differentiable ... ...
It follows, because we have any complex ##h## approaching zero, and we are thus allowed to restrict ourselves to real paths to zero, which still gives the same condition, so complex differentiability implies real differentialbility.
(ii) it follows from the limit immediately above and (1) that complex-differentiable mappings have ##\mathbb{C}##-linear differentials ... ...
We have the differential ##f\,'(c)## which acts via multiplication on the direction ##h##, and multiplication ##h \longmapsto f\,'(c)\cdot h## is ##\mathbb{C}-##linear in its variable ##h##. (Remember my comment about the Jacobi matrix in the previous thread.)
(***NOTE: I suspect the answer to (i) is that the form of the two limits is essentially the same ...
Yes. Real is a subcase of complex.
... although I'm concerned about the presence of norms in one and not the other ...
This doesn't make a difference.
$$
\lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h} = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} \cdot \frac{||h||}{h}= \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} \cdot z = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} =0
$$ with a complex number ##z \in \mathbb{C}## of norm ##1##.
... and also that we can identify ##\mathbb{C}## with ##\mathbb{R}^2## as a [real] vector space ... is that correct?)
Yes, with the strong and loud emphasis on "as a real vector space". However, we have the complex numbers here as a field and a complex vector space, which are more than just a real plane, which is why complex differentiation is more - in the sense of stronger, resp. stricter - than real differentiation. With ##(\alpha\cdot i) \cdot (\beta \cdot i) = -\alpha \beta## we get a possibility to change between the dimensions: imaginary ##\to ## real. A rule which we do not have in real vector spaces, where we cannot just switch from one dimension (##x-##axis) to the other (##y-##axis) by some scalar multiplication.

Likes BvU and Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
It follows, because we have any complex ##h## approaching zero, and we are thus allowed to restrict ourselves to real paths to zero, which still gives the same condition, so complex differentiability implies real differentialbility.

We have the differential ##f\,'(c)## which acts via multiplication on the direction ##h##, and multiplication ##h \longmapsto f\,'(c)\cdot h## is ##\mathbb{C}-##linear in its variable ##h##. (Remember my comment about the Jacobi matrix in the previous thread.)

Yes. Real is a subcase of complex.

This doesn't make a difference.
$$
\lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h} = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} \cdot \frac{||h||}{h}= \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} \cdot z = 0 \Longleftrightarrow \lim_{ h \to 0 } \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ ||h||} =0
$$ with a complex number ##z \in \mathbb{C}## of norm ##1##.

Yes, with the strong and loud emphasis on "as a real vector space". However, we have the complex numbers here as a field and a complex vector space, which are more than just a real plane, which is why complex differentiation is more - in the sense of stronger, resp. stricter - than real differentiation. With ##(\alpha\cdot i) \cdot (\beta \cdot i) = -\alpha \beta## we get a possibility to change between the dimensions: imaginary ##\to ## real. A rule which we do not have in real vector spaces, where we cannot just switch from one dimension (##x-##axis) to the other (##y-##axis) by some scalar multiplication.
Thanks fresh_42 ...

Reflecting on what you have written ...

But ... just a clarification ...

You write:

" ... ... It follows, because we have any complex ##h## approaching zero, and we are thus allowed to restrict ourselves to real paths to zero, which still gives the same condition, so complex differentiability implies real differentiability. ... ... "

Can you please justify why we are allowed to restrict ourselves to real paths to zero ... I thought we had to be able to approach zero along all paths ... can you please clarify ...Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

We want to show that ##f(c+h)-f(c) = f\,'(c)\cdot h + ||h||\cdot E_c(h)## holds for the real variable ##h## approaching zero. (I've used your previous notation as it is within one line.) What we have is, that ##f(c+h)-f(c) = f\,'(c)\cdot h + ||h||\cdot E_c(h)## holds for the complex variable ##h## approaching zero; that means, for all complex paths ##p: [0,1] \longrightarrow \mathbb{C}## approaching zero, e.g. ##p(t)=h \cdot (1-t)## or ##p(t) = \sin((1-t) \cdot |h|)## or whatever. Now if we only consider those paths among all allowed, which are real, i.e. ##p([0,1])\subseteq \mathbb{R}## we still have ##f(c+h)-f(c) = f\,'(c)\cdot h + ||h||\cdot E_c(h)## which is real differentiabilty. It also shows, that the converse direction does not hold: If we had real differentiability, we wouldn't have any knowledge yet about what's going on along complex paths to zero.

Likes Math Amateur
The complex derivative is complex linear by definition since it is defined to be multiplication by the complex number ##f'(c)##.

As Fresh_42 explained, a complex linear function is real linear since real numbers are complex numbers.

Given that it is real linear, your definition of real differentiable is immediately satisfied by taking the limit of the norm of

##\displaystyle \frac{ f(c + h ) - f(c) - f\, ' (c) h }{ h}## since if this goes to zero its norm must as well.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur

Related to Complex & Real Differentiability ... Remmert, Section 2, Ch 1

1. What is complex differentiability?

Complex differentiability is the property of a complex-valued function to have a derivative at a certain point. A function is complex differentiable if it is smooth (continuous and without sharp turns) and has a unique, well-defined slope at each point. This allows us to extend the concept of a derivative from real-valued functions to complex-valued functions.

2. How is complex differentiability related to real differentiability?

In complex analysis, a function is said to be complex differentiable if it is differentiable in the complex sense. This means that the function has a derivative at each point in the complex plane. It is also related to real differentiability because if a function is complex differentiable, it must also be real differentiable. However, the converse is not necessarily true. A function may be real differentiable but not complex differentiable.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations and how are they related to complex differentiability?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary conditions for a complex-valued function to be complex differentiable. They relate the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of a function to the partial derivatives of the function itself. If a function satisfies these equations, then it is complex differentiable at that point. However, if a function fails to satisfy these equations, then it is not complex differentiable at that point.

4. Can a function be complex differentiable at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be complex differentiable at some points but not others. This is because the Cauchy-Riemann equations must be satisfied at each point for a function to be complex differentiable. If the equations are satisfied at a particular point, then the function is complex differentiable at that point. However, if the equations are not satisfied at a point, then the function is not complex differentiable at that point.

5. Why is complex differentiability important?

Complex differentiability is important because it allows us to extend the concepts of calculus to the complex plane. This is important in many areas of mathematics and physics where complex numbers are used, such as in complex analysis, number theory, and quantum mechanics. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of complex-valued functions and their properties, leading to important applications in various fields.