Theorem 1.8: Sets or Domains in the Complex Plane - Palka Ch.2

In summary: So if $z_0$ is an isolated point in $A$, it still belongs to the closure of $A$ because every open disk around $z_0$ contains points in $A$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: The Rudiments of Plane Topology ...

I need help with an aspect of Theorem 1.8 ...

Theorem 1.8 (preceded by its "proof") reads as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7337In the above text from Palka Ch.2 we read the following:

"Let \(\displaystyle A\) be a set in the complex plane ... ... "Now it seems that from what Palka has written in the quoted text above, that \(\displaystyle A\) cannot be an arbitrary set ... anyway not a scattered set of points in the complex plane ... is that correct?

It seems that \(\displaystyle A\) must be a connected region or domain in the complex plane ... is that right?

[ ... ... Note that Palka does not use the term "connected region" or "region" but does refer (without definition as far as I can tell, to "plane set" ... ]

Can someone please clarify the above concerns ...

Peter===============================================================================It may help readers of the above post to have access to Palka's basic notation and terminology regarding plane topology ... so I am proving the same ... as follows:View attachment 7338
View attachment 7339
View attachment 7340

Hope that helps ... ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Now it seems that from what Palka has written in the quoted text above, that \(\displaystyle A\) cannot be an arbitrary set ... anyway not a scattered set of points in the complex plane ... is that correct?

It seems that \(\displaystyle A\) must be a connected region or domain in the complex plane ... is that right?
No, Theorem 1.8 applies to an arbitrary subset $A$ of the complex plane.

I think that maybe you are misled by thinking that an isolated point $x$ in $A$ cannot be the limit of a sequence in $A$. But in fact it is the limit of such a sequence: you can just use the constant sequence in which every element is $x$ itself.

Opalg said:
No, Theorem 1.8 applies to an arbitrary subset $A$ of the complex plane.

I think that maybe you are misled by thinking that an isolated point $x$ in $A$ cannot be the limit of a sequence in $A$. But in fact it is the limit of such a sequence: you can just use the constant sequence in which every element is $x$ itself.
oh! indeed ... yes ... thanks Opalg ...

... so you are saying that where \(\displaystyle A\) is a set of isolated points scatted across the complex plane that we choose \(\displaystyle z_n = z_0\) for our point belonging to \(\displaystyle A \cap \Delta ( z_0, \frac{1}{n} ) \) ... ... and do so again and again for \(\displaystyle n+1, n+2, \ ...\) in order to manufacture the required sequence \(\displaystyle \left\langle z_1 \right\rangle \) ... ... Is that correct?

Peter***EDIT***

... BUT ... problem ! ... Theorem 1.8 would then imply that the point \(\displaystyle z_0\) belongs to the closure of the set \(\displaystyle A\) ... but surely \(\displaystyle z_0\) does not belong to the closure of \(\displaystyle A\) ... ? ... does it?

Oh ... maybe \(\displaystyle z_0\) DOES belong to the closure of the set \(\displaystyle A\) ... because for every \(\displaystyle r \gt 0\), the open disk \(\displaystyle \Delta ( z_0, r )\) contains \(\displaystyle z_0\) and hence has a non-empty intersection with \(\displaystyle A\) ... and also, of course, with \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C} \sim A\) ... ...Can someone please clarify the above for me ...

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
Oh ... maybe \(\displaystyle z_0\) DOES belong to the closure of the set \(\displaystyle A\) ... because for every \(\displaystyle r \gt 0\), the open disk \(\displaystyle \Delta ( z_0, r )\) contains \(\displaystyle z_0\) and hence has a non-empty intersection with \(\displaystyle A\)
Yes, that is correct. The closure of a set $A$ always includes the whole of $A$.

Related to Theorem 1.8: Sets or Domains in the Complex Plane - Palka Ch.2

1. What is a set in the complex plane?

A set in the complex plane refers to a collection of points or numbers that are represented by coordinates in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How is a set different from a domain in the complex plane?

In the context of Theorem 1.8, a set and a domain in the complex plane are essentially the same thing. They both refer to a collection of points or numbers in the complex plane that satisfy a certain condition.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 1.8 in complex analysis?

Theorem 1.8 is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that a function is analytic on a set in the complex plane if and only if it is analytic on its domain. This theorem is important because it allows us to extend the concept of analyticity from open subsets of the real line to open subsets of the complex plane.

4. Can Theorem 1.8 be applied to any type of function?

Yes, Theorem 1.8 can be applied to any function that is analytic in the complex plane. This means that the function must be differentiable at every point in its domain, and its derivative must also be continuous.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Theorem 1.8?

Yes, Theorem 1.8 has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze and model complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and stock market trends.