Constructing an Argand Diagram - My First Attempt

In summary, an Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It is constructed by plotting the real part of the complex number on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Its purpose is to visualize complex numbers and their properties, making it easier to solve equations and understand geometric relationships. The advantages of using an Argand diagram include its intuitive nature and ability to represent complex operations and geometric interpretations. However, it has limitations such as only being applicable to two-dimensional numbers and not being able to represent infinity or have a physical meaning for the positions of points on the graph.
icystrike

Homework Statement

I'm looking at bii) of the question.
Its my very first attempt at argand diagram and i do not really know how to construct one.
attachment.php?attachmentid=23867&stc=1&d=1266867454.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=23868&stc=1&d=1266867454.jpg

Attachments

• LGIM0019.jpg
    LGIM0019.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 496
  • LGIM0018.jpg
    LGIM0018.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi icystrike! :smile:

Your diagram looks fine …

you've correctly drawn the three roots at -20º, 100º, and 240º. and the line you've drawn is the correct line.

What is worrying you about that? :confused:

cos I'm self-learning and does not have any tutor , thus , I'm here to check with you if I'm on the right track . Thanks tiny-tim ! (=

Related to Constructing an Argand Diagram - My First Attempt

1. What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. The horizontal axis represents the real part of the complex number, while the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. It is named after French mathematician Jean-Robert Argand who first introduced the concept in the 18th century.

2. How do I construct an Argand diagram?

To construct an Argand diagram, you will need to plot the complex numbers on a Cartesian plane, with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Start by drawing the horizontal and vertical axes, and then plot each complex number as a point on the plane. You can also use different colors or shapes to represent different types of complex numbers, such as real, imaginary, or complex conjugates.

3. What is the purpose of constructing an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is useful for visualizing complex numbers and their properties, such as magnitude and angle. It can also help in solving complex equations and understanding geometric relationships between complex numbers. Additionally, it is often used in physics and engineering to represent vectors and wave functions.

4. What are the advantages of using an Argand diagram?

Using an Argand diagram can make understanding and working with complex numbers easier and more intuitive. It allows for visual representation of complex operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It also provides a geometric interpretation of complex numbers, which can aid in problem-solving and making connections between different mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any limitations to using an Argand diagram?

While Argand diagrams are a useful tool for understanding complex numbers, they do have some limitations. They are only applicable to two-dimensional complex numbers and cannot represent higher dimensions. Additionally, they cannot show the entire complex plane, as infinity cannot be represented on a finite graph. It is also important to note that the positions of the points on the diagram are purely symbolic and do not have a physical meaning.