Help with complex loci on Argand diagram

In summary: The locus of a point is the set of all points within the bounds of the point. In this case, the point is located at the intersection of the two perpendicular vectors drawn from the origin to the point. In summary, the student attempted to find the locus of a point on the Argand diagram, but could not find a clear method for doing so.
stfz
Hi all, I'm hoping for some help/guidance on this problem:
1. Homework Statement

The complex number z is represented by the point P on the Argand diagram. Sketch and describe in words the locus of P if:

i) ##|2-iz|=2##
ii) ##|\dfrac{1+i}{z}-2|=2##

The solutions read:
i) ##|2-iz|=2 \Leftrightarrow |z+2i|=2##
ii) ##|\frac{1+i}{z} -2| = 2 \Leftrightarrow |z - \frac{1+i}{2}| = |z|##

In (i), apparently what they've done is multiplied the expression ##2-iz## within the modulus by ##i##. But it doesn't explain why that is valid...
With (ii), I have no idea how they did that...
Some help here would be appreciated - I haven't seen any formal information given on this in the book, and I can't see how the result is implied :(

Homework Equations

##|z-a|## represents the scalar/real distance between two complex numbers ##z## and ##a## on the Argand diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) - Multiplication of expression inside modulus by ##i## yields answer, but I don't have the proof for why this can be done.
(ii) - Not really sure how to start here.

Thanks!
Stephen :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying a complex number by i amounts to a rotation of +90 degrees on the Argand plane, but doesn't change the vector's length (modulus). Plot 5+i2 and -2+i5 to illustrate this.

So perhaps in the interest of simplifying the expression, multiplying by i inside a modulus is a useful technique?

stfz said:
Hi all, I'm hoping for some help/guidance on this problem:
1. Homework Statement

The complex number z is represented by the point P on the Argand diagram. Sketch and describe in words the locus of P if:

i) ##|2-iz|=2##
ii) ##|\dfrac{1+i}{z}-2|=2##

The solutions read:
i) ##|2-iz|=2 \Leftrightarrow |z+2i|=2##
ii) ##|\frac{1+i}{z} -2| = 2 \Leftrightarrow |z - \frac{1+i}{2}| = |z|##

In (i), apparently what they've done is multiplied the expression ##2-iz## within the modulus by ##i##. But it doesn't explain why that is valid...
With (ii), I have no idea how they did that...
Some help here would be appreciated - I haven't seen any formal information given on this in the book, and I can't see how the result is implied :(

Homework Equations

##|z-a|## represents the scalar/real distance between two complex numbers ##z## and ##a## on the Argand diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) - Multiplication of expression inside modulus by ##i## yields answer, but I don't have the proof for why this can be done.
(ii) - Not really sure how to start here.

Thanks!
Stephen :)

In (i) they used two facts:
(1) ##|z_1 z_2| = |z_1| \; |z_2|## for any two complex numbers ##z_1, z_2## (applied to ##z_1 = i##, ##z_2 = 2-iz##).
(2) ## i \times -i = +1##.

Thanks for the help :) I have figured it out. Thanks again :D Just proved it myself that if ##|z_1| = |z_2|##, then ##|kz_1|=|kz_2|, k\in C \cup R##

Related to Help with complex loci on Argand diagram

1. What is a complex locus on an Argand diagram?

A complex locus on an Argand diagram is a graphical representation of all the complex numbers that satisfy a given condition or equation. It helps to visualize and understand the behavior of complex numbers in the complex plane.

2. How do you plot a complex locus on an Argand diagram?

To plot a complex locus on an Argand diagram, you first need to identify the condition or equation that defines the locus. Then, you can substitute different values of the complex number into the equation and plot the resulting points on the diagram. Connecting these points will give you the complex locus.

3. What are the common types of complex loci on an Argand diagram?

Some common types of complex loci on an Argand diagram include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. The shape of the locus depends on the equation or condition that defines it.

4. How do complex loci on Argand diagrams relate to real-life applications?

Complex loci on Argand diagrams have many real-life applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and understand complex systems, such as electrical circuits and economic models, and to solve problems involving complex numbers.

5. Are there any tips for working with complex loci on Argand diagrams?

Some tips for working with complex loci on Argand diagrams include: familiarizing yourself with the properties and operations of complex numbers, understanding the equations and conditions that define different types of loci, and practicing plotting and interpreting loci on the diagram.