Argand diagram, phase difference & power

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential difference and current in a circuit, represented by complex numbers. The appropriate phasors are sketched on an Argand diagram and the phase difference between them is found to be 14.6°. The power is then calculated using the equation P=VIcos∅, resulting in 345 watts.
eddievic

Homework Statement

The potential difference across a circuit is given by the complex number

V=40+j35volts

and the current is given by the complex number

I=6+j3 amps

a) sketch the appropriate phasors on an Argand diagram.
b) Find the phase difference between the phasors for voltage V and current I
c)Find the power (watt) given that

power = VxIxcos∅

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Argand diagram attached (I wonder have I maybe took this too literal as it seems too simple?)
b) tan(V)=35/40=0.875=0.17883 rads
tan(I)=3/6=0.5=0.46365 rads
∅=V-I=0.25518 rads
=14.6°
c)P=VIcos∅
V=√40^2+35^2=53.151
I=√6^2+3^2=6.7082
so substituting into equation
(53.151)(6.7082)(0.9676)=345 watts

Attachments

• Argand Diagram.pdf
    469.5 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your plot for V is backwards on your attachmnet

barryj said:
Your plot for V is backwards on your attachmnet

how so?

Looks like you have V = 35 + j40 plotted. I looks OK.

Ah right thanks for there'll

Silly phone should say reply :-)

Related to Argand diagram, phase difference & power

1. What is an Argand diagram?

An Argand diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with the origin at the center. The real part of a complex number is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis.

2. How is phase difference represented on an Argand diagram?

Phase difference is represented on an Argand diagram by the angle between two complex numbers. This angle is measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis to the line connecting the two complex numbers. The phase difference can range from 0 to 2π, with 0 representing no phase difference and 2π representing a complete phase shift.

3. How is power calculated from an Argand diagram?

Power can be calculated from an Argand diagram by finding the magnitude of the complex number and squaring it. This represents the absolute value or modulus of the complex number, which is equivalent to the power of the circuit or system being represented.

4. What is the relationship between phase difference and power on an Argand diagram?

The relationship between phase difference and power on an Argand diagram is that the magnitude of the complex number, or the power, is directly proportional to the cosine of the phase difference angle. This means that as the phase difference increases, the power decreases, and vice versa.

5. How is an Argand diagram used in circuit analysis?

An Argand diagram is used in circuit analysis to visualize and analyze the behavior of complex circuits. By plotting complex impedances and voltages on the diagram, it is possible to determine the overall impedance and power of the circuit, as well as identify any phase differences that may exist between different components. This can aid in understanding the behavior and performance of a circuit, and can also be used for troubleshooting and optimization.