How can I sketch the following in an Argand Diagram?

In summary, to sketch a complex number in an Argand Diagram, plot the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. The complex number will be represented as a point in the diagram, with its distance from the origin representing its magnitude and its angle from the positive real axis representing its argument. This diagram is useful for visualizing and performing operations on complex numbers.
Mathematicsss

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Sketch in an argand diagram:
|z − i| = 2

Homework Equations

z= a+bi

The Attempt at a Solution

|z − i| means that the distance from z to i is 2, however I am not sure where to put z.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsss said:

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Sketch in an argand diagram:
|z − i| = 2

Homework Equations

z= a+bi

The Attempt at a Solution

|z − i| means that the distance from z to i is 2, however I am not sure where to put z.

Do you know where to put ##i##? Start there.

Mathematicsss said:
There is not just a single location for z -- it is arbitrary. Follow Ray's advice in locating i.

Related to How can I sketch the following in an Argand Diagram?

1. How do I plot complex numbers on an Argand Diagram?

To plot complex numbers on an Argand Diagram, you need to use the real and imaginary axes. The horizontal axis represents the real part of the complex number, while the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The complex number is then plotted as a point on the diagram, with the real part being the x-coordinate and the imaginary part being the y-coordinate.

2. What is the purpose of an Argand Diagram?

An Argand Diagram is used to visually represent complex numbers. It allows us to see the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex number and interpret them geometrically. This diagram is especially useful in visualizing and solving complex mathematical equations and problems.

3. How do I draw a vector on an Argand Diagram?

To draw a vector on an Argand Diagram, you need to first identify the starting and ending points of the vector. The starting point represents the initial value of the complex number, while the ending point represents the final value. Then, draw a line connecting the two points on the diagram to create the vector.

4. Can I plot more than one complex number on an Argand Diagram?

Yes, an Argand Diagram can be used to plot multiple complex numbers. Each complex number will be represented as a point on the diagram, and you can connect these points to visualize their relationships. This can be particularly helpful when solving systems of equations involving complex numbers.

5. How can I use an Argand Diagram to find the modulus and argument of a complex number?

An Argand Diagram can be used to find the modulus and argument of a complex number by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The modulus of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number, while the argument is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number.