Conservation of Energy in Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of toasting a slice of bread in space and how its temperature would change over time. The speaker questions whether the temperature would increase, decrease, or stay the same without additional heat sources. They also consider factors such as insolation and black body radiation in determining the energy balance equation. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that further research is needed to fully understand the effects of toasting bread in space.
Neil Graham
Imagine bringing a toaster and a slice of bread into space. After doing so, we were to toast the slice, measure the temperature after toasted, then chuck the piece of toast out into space quickly before too much heat transfers. After a week goes by, we find the piece of toast and bring it back into the spacecraft then quickly measure it.

I would like to know whether the temperature of that piece of toast would raise, lower, or stay the same without having to spend $50,000 to bring those 2 kilograms or so into space. My understanding of this is that it would raise temperature due to the photons of the sun, unless it were to somehow be caught up in some gas cloud, where it would lose heat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neil Graham said:
Imagine bringing a toaster and a slice of bread into space. After doing so, we were to toast the slice, measure the temperature after toasted, then chuck the piece of toast out into space quickly before too much heat transfers. After a week goes by, we find the piece of toast and bring it back into the spacecraft then quickly measure it.

I would like to know whether the temperature of that piece of toast would raise, lower, or stay the same without having to spend $50,000 to bring those 2 kilograms or so into space. My understanding of this is that it would raise temperature due to the photons of the sun, unless it were to somehow be caught up in some gas cloud, where it would lose heat.

What do you think the energy balance equation would look like? If you are in deep space with no insolation, you would use black body radiation to calculate the loss of heat. If you are close to an energy source like in close orbit near a star, the insolation would be part of the energy balance, no?

Likes Neil Graham
Neil Graham said:
My understanding of this is that it would raise temperature due to the photons of the sun,
If your toast is so close to the sun, that radiation heats it beyond what a toaster does, why did you need a toaster in the first place?

A.T. said:
If your toast is so close to the sun, that radiation heats it beyond what a toaster does, why did you need a toaster in the first place?
Just as an example that it leaves the spacecraft with a heat higher than room temperature.

berkeman said:
What do you think the energy balance equation would look like? If you are in deep space with no insolation, you would use black body radiation to calculate the loss of heat. If you are close to an energy source like in close orbit near a star, the insolation would be part of the energy balance, no?
I have not gone over the energy balance equation in my high school classroom yet, but with some researching of the keywords that you've said, I did get a better understanding of what would happen, thank you.

Likes berkeman

Related to Conservation of Energy in Space

What is conservation of energy in space?

Conservation of energy in space is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

How does conservation of energy apply to space?

In space, conservation of energy applies to all objects and systems, including planets, stars, galaxies, and even the entire universe. It is crucial in understanding the behavior and interactions of celestial bodies and their energy sources, such as nuclear fusion in stars.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in space?

Some examples of conservation of energy in space include the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of comets, and the gravitational interactions between galaxies. It also applies to the transfer of energy through electromagnetic radiation, such as light and heat.

Why is conservation of energy important in space exploration?

Conservation of energy is essential in space exploration because it helps us understand the energy sources and limitations of spacecraft. It also allows us to calculate and predict the trajectory and behavior of objects in space, which is crucial for successful missions.

Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy in space?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of energy in space. However, some theories, such as dark energy and dark matter, are still being studied and could potentially challenge our understanding of energy conservation in the future.