Computer freezes when visiting forum

• Bug
  • Thread starter AdkinsJr
  • Start date
In summary: I've been experiencing a 5-10 second "stall" whenever i access the forum for more than a week. After the wait, it gest back to normal. I am using IE 9 and win 7 and have no issues with other sites on the net.There are lots of idea - just not much data to apply them to...
AdkinsJr
For some reason whenever I try to visit this forum, or the similar "math help" forum, my laptop freezes right away and I have to reboot. I have to use my parent's PC just to access these two forums. The strange thing is that it's ONLY these two forums (physics forum, and a similar math forum on the net)... I can visit other forums on the net, any website, youtube, yahoo, you name it...every website works fine but these two...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdkinsJr said:
For some reason whenever I try to visit this forum, or the similar "math help" forum, my laptop freezes right away and I have to reboot. I have to use my parent's PC just to access these two forums. The strange thing is that it's ONLY these two forums (physics forum, and a similar math forum on the net)... I can visit other forums on the net, any website, youtube, yahoo, you name it...every website works fine but these two...

Any ideas or suggestions?
What is your operating system and browser?

I've been experiencing the same problem lately.

(My OS is Windows 7 and I use Firefox).

Windows 7 and Firefox 10.0.2 for me and I've never encountered this problem.

dlgoff said:
Windows 7 and Firefox 10.0.2 for me and I've never encountered this problem.

I'm using Firefox 13.0.1. Maybe it's a problem with more recent versions?

A couple of days ago, I was experiencing trouble with LaTeX loading, now that seems to be ok. The freezing only occurs when I visit the Homework Help subforum.

Compare with your parents (@OP) or some configuration that works (others).
What do you use there?

Evo said:
What is your operating system and browser?

I'm using Windows Business Vista, it happens on any browser, chrome, firefox, or IE. I use firefox primarily, and I have updated at least twice since I noticed the problem about 6 months ago. So I've ruled that out.

It happened not to long after I had an infection on my computer, I resolved the issue with malewarebytes support, they have a free forum online. There were some registry errors initially, but I didn't have any additional problems running programs, websites, etc. after we resolved the errors and they gave me the ok. Everything runs perfectly except these two forums.

It's just very strange because it's ONLY this forum and math help, could any remaining registry errors be associated with something as contained as that? I"m not very knowledgeable.

E_M_C said:
I'm using Firefox 13.0.1. Maybe it's a problem with more recent versions?

A couple of days ago, I was experiencing trouble with LaTeX loading, now that seems to be ok. The freezing only occurs when I visit the Homework Help subforum.

Do you have other browsers installed? I attempted with IE and Chrome and it doesn't help, so I don't think it's browser. I downloaded chrome just to test on this forum.

lol, still no ideas? I guess everyone is as stumped as me. Note that it use to work on the laptop. It's been a problem since February maybe (roughly). Has anything around here changed in the last 6-12 months?

I just tried to view this forum moments ago and my computer froze immediately and I had to reboot. I'm on a different PC now.

I've tried browsing the internet for other sites or forums to test my laptop and no others will cause my computer to freeze except for this and the math help forum. Could it be related to the latex forum code maybe? That's the only similarity between these two forums I can think of.

I tried posting the issue on a computer tech support forum as well and I get 0 responses. It is a mystery.

Perhaps it's one of the add-ons, ad-programs, or vigilink.

I've been experiencing a 5-10 second "stall" whenever i access the forum for more than a week. After the wait, it gest back to normal. I am using IE 9 and win 7 and have no issues with other sites on the net.

There are lots of idea - just not much data to apply them to...

What was the malwarebytes support?
Professional or amateur from their forum?
You are being coy about this.

Something this did then, or something you are running since, is conflicting with something the math and PF forums use. Isolate it.

What happens if you run Internet Explorer with no add ons?

Press Start go to Accessories > System Tools and click on Internet Explorer(No Add-ons)

Studiot said:
What happens if you run Internet Explorer with no add ons?

Press Start go to Accessories > System Tools and click on Internet Explorer(No Add-ons)

What happens? It works! At least it's working at the moment. I've been browsing around the forum for a few minutes and everything is fine. I even posted in the homework section.

All I had tried before was testing different browsers and disabling microsoft security essentials; I couln't think of anything else to try. I'm not knowlegable enough with computers to easily brainstorm solutions. But what I still don't understand, if it's an IE add-on, why does it not work useing Chrome or Firefox? I can't make sense of that, but at least I know that I can run IE without add-ons to access this site.

Thanks!

Simon Bridge said:
What was the malwarebytes support?
Professional or amateur from their forum?
You are being coy about this.

I guess I presumed everyone would be familiar with malwarebytes.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7

They're knowledgeable volunteers, not anyone can give advice on there, they assist registered members in resolving infections that aren't easily fixed with malwarebytes or MSE. You run a scan, post the log file, and they do what they can to guide you in removing the virus/malware.

Other browsers 'pick up' their setting from IE, when installed.

If you later install a 'helper', toolbar or other browser gadget it will add itself to fox and chrome etc.

In normal IE go to tools> Manage Addons and experiment with the settings.
Try also turning off the popup blocker temporarily.

You should not disable MSE

go well

Related to Computer freezes when visiting forum

1. Why does my computer freeze when I visit a forum?

There are several possible reasons for your computer freezing when visiting a forum. It could be due to a slow internet connection, a large amount of data being loaded on the forum page, or a software or hardware issue on your computer.

2. How can I prevent my computer from freezing when I visit a forum?

To prevent your computer from freezing when visiting a forum, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, updating your browser and operating system, and closing any unnecessary programs or browser tabs.

3. Is my computer at risk when it freezes on a forum?

In most cases, your computer is not at risk when it freezes on a forum. However, if the freeze is caused by a virus or malware, it could potentially put your computer at risk. It is always recommended to have a reliable antivirus software installed.

4. Why does my computer only freeze on certain forums?

The freezing could be due to the specific content or scripts on the forum page. Some websites may have heavy advertisements or videos that can cause your computer to freeze. It could also be a compatibility issue with your browser or operating system.

5. Can I fix a frozen computer myself, or do I need to seek professional help?

In most cases, you can fix a frozen computer by following some troubleshooting steps. However, if the issue persists, it is best to seek professional help. They can diagnose and resolve any underlying software or hardware issues causing the freezing.