Comparing FSU and UF Math/Physics Programs - Jameson's Questions

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, Jameson is considering two schools, FSU and UF, for their mathematics or physics programs due to Florida's Bright Futures Scholarship and College Prepaid plan. They ask for information on the programs at either school and receive multiple responses. Overall, it appears that UF has a better program and environment for learning, with a large and well-equipped physics building, an honors course sequence, and approachable teachers and advisors. Some students also mention that FSU may have a more liberal arts focus and a library named after Dirac, but overall, UF seems to be the preferred choice.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I will be a senior next year and have two schools in mind because of Florida's Bright Futures Scholarship and a College Prepaid plan, FSU and UF. I will most likely want to major in mathematics or physics and was wondering if anyone knew anything good or bad about the programs of either school.

Thanks,
Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
UF is better than FSU in almost every single field (I don't say every because I haven't looked at every last field). Take that for what its worth.

I got accepted into both this year and plan on going to UF. It appears to have a far better program, and also isn't as liberal artsy as FSU. Also I think it would be a better environment that is more conducive to learning (i.e. rigerous program)... and also most of the partyers from my school seem to be going to FSU.

And I'm a party pooper .

yeah, i go to UF, and i'd recommend it over FSU.

all FSU has going for it is a library named after dirac.

UF has a great program. the physics building is nice and big. there are physics booths in the lobby where you can play with stuff to a certain extent (my fave is the spectroscopy booth).

there's an honors course sequence at UF, too, and that was a lot of fun. I'm only halfway through them, and it's been a lot of fun--really challenging. UF also makes it easy to do a double major with physics and math, although that may not interest you. the advisers are really nice, too. and all the teachers I've heard about are all approachable for office hours and stuff.

Related to Comparing FSU and UF Math/Physics Programs - Jameson's Questions

What is the difference in curriculum between FSU and UF's math programs?

The curriculum for math programs at FSU and UF are similar in terms of core courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. However, FSU offers a wider variety of electives in areas like number theory and combinatorics, while UF has a stronger focus on applied mathematics.

Which school has a better faculty for math/physics?

Both FSU and UF have highly qualified and experienced faculty in their math and physics departments. However, UF has a larger faculty size and a higher number of faculty members who are members of prestigious organizations and have received national recognition for their work.

Are there any notable research opportunities for undergraduate students in these programs?

Both FSU and UF have research opportunities for undergraduate students in the math and physics departments. FSU has the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) which allows students to work with faculty on research projects, while UF has the Scholars Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) which provides funding for students to conduct research with faculty.

What is the job placement rate for graduates of these programs?

The job placement rates for graduates of FSU and UF's math and physics programs are both high. According to the universities' career centers, the job placement rate for FSU math graduates is 80%, while the job placement rate for UF math graduates is 85%. For physics graduates, the job placement rate for both schools is around 90%.

Are there any notable alumni from these programs?

Both FSU and UF have notable alumni from their math and physics programs. Some notable alumni from FSU include mathematician Paul R. Halmos and physicist Myron Salamon. UF's notable alumni include mathematician Paul Erdős and physicist John Robert Schrieffer, who won a Nobel Prize in Physics.