Colision with a wall/platform and coefficient of restitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an elastic platform to measure the coefficient of restitution for a ball being thrown against a solid wall. After the data was analyzed, it was found that the ball rebounded less distance when the platform was in place, indicating a lower coefficient of restitution. The final question asked about the calculation of the rebound speeds and whether dividing them is an appropriate method for determining the coefficient of restitution.
kohlerb
1. A ball is launched against a solid wall with straight trajectory and a velocity of Vo. It hits the wall on a 3ft height and it falls on the ground at a 2ft distance (by the left of the wall). Then, an elastic platform is positioned on the exact height of the collision of the ball, and it is throwed once again, with the same velocity. But now, it falls on the ground at a distance of 0,83ft.
a) Coefficient of restitution = ?
b) Vo = ?

g = 32,17; No drag;
My attempt was to calculate the velocity right after the wall colision, and right after the platform colision, using kinematics equations for velocity (free fall and horizontal movement), and then divided both to find the coefficient, but that doesn't sound right to me. And I have no idea on how to calculate the Vo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kohlerb. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

With the elastic platform, the ball rebounds far less distance? That doesn't sound right. (Maybe the data has been accidently swapped around?)

If this were an exam question, you should still "go through the motions" for solving it, even though the data values won't give a logical answer. At least demonstrate that you know the correct method for determining coefficient of restitution.

What would the rebound speeds be, for each throw?

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi kohlerb. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

With the elastic platform, the ball rebounds far less distance? That doesn't sound right. (Maybe the data has been accidently swapped around?)

If this were an exam question, you should still "go through the motions" for solving it, even though the data values won't give a logical answer. At least demonstrate that you know the correct method for determining coefficient of restitution.

What would the rebound speeds be, for each throw?

I'm sorry, I wrote the question poorly, the platform is a "soft" platform, it really makes the ball rebounds less. But I still don't know if the way I calculated the coefficient is the correct way. Can I divide the two rebound speeds to find it?

Rebound speeds:

Without the platform: 4,65ft/s
With the platform: 1,93ft/s

Last edited by a moderator:
With one of the rebound speeds being that of an elastic collision, you should be able to divide them. As you have not shown how you calculated them, I can't say whether your working looks right or not.

I would first like to clarify the concept of coefficient of restitution. It is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects and is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity after the collision to the relative velocity before the collision. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much energy is lost or retained during a collision.

Now, coming to the given scenario, we have a ball launched with a velocity of Vo, which hits a solid wall at a height of 3ft and falls on the ground at a distance of 2ft. This collision can be considered as an inelastic collision as some energy is lost due to deformation of the ball and the wall. The ball then hits an elastic platform, positioned at the same height as the collision with the wall, with the same velocity. This time, the ball falls on the ground at a distance of 0.83ft.

a) To calculate the coefficient of restitution, we can use the formula:

Coefficient of restitution = (Final relative velocity)/(Initial relative velocity)

In the given scenario, the final relative velocity is the velocity of the ball after the collision with the platform, which is 0.83ft/s. The initial relative velocity is the velocity of the ball before the collision with the platform, which is the same as the velocity before the collision with the wall, i.e. Vo. Therefore, the coefficient of restitution can be calculated as:

Coefficient of restitution = (0.83ft/s) / (Vo) = 0.83/Vo

b) To calculate the initial velocity, we can use the equations of motion for the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's motion.

For the vertical component, we can use the equation:

h = h0 + Vo*t - (1/2)*g*t^2

where h is the vertical distance traveled, h0 is the initial height, Vo is the initial velocity, t is the time taken, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Using the values given in the scenario, we can write two equations for the collision with the wall and the platform:

For the collision with the wall: 3ft = 0ft + Vo*t - (1/2)*32.17*t^2

For the collision with the platform: 0.83ft = 0ft + Vo*t - (1/2)*32.17*t^2

Solving these two equations simultaneously, we get

Related to Colision with a wall/platform and coefficient of restitution

1. What is a "colision with a wall/platform"?

A collision with a wall/platform refers to the physical interaction between an object and a stationary surface. This can occur when an object is moving and comes into contact with a wall or platform, causing a change in its velocity and direction.

2. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents a completely inelastic collision (objects stick together after impact) and 1 represents a perfectly elastic collision (objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy).

3. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the objects after collision by the relative velocity before collision. This can also be expressed as the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity of an object.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is affected by several factors, including the materials and surfaces of the objects involved, the speed and angle of impact, and the presence of any external forces such as friction. In general, harder and smoother surfaces tend to have a higher coefficient of restitution, while softer and rougher surfaces have a lower coefficient of restitution.

5. Why is the coefficient of restitution important in collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is important because it helps us understand the energy transfer and conservation that occurs during a collision. In real-world scenarios, the coefficient of restitution can affect the outcome of collisions, such as in sports or car accidents. It is also a key factor in the study of physics and mechanics.