Coefficient of Restitution problem

In summary, the problem involves a 1.25 kg squash racquet swung at 37 m/s contacting a ball moving at 42 m/s in the opposite direction. After impact, the racquet has a velocity of 25 m/s and the ball has a velocity of 50 m/s. The coefficient of restitution associated with the impact is found by using the equation e=(V1-V2)/(U1-U2), where V1 and U1 represent the velocities of the racket and ball before impact, and V2 and U2 represent the velocities after impact. The direction of the velocities must be taken into consideration, with the racket moving in the positive direction and the ball moving in the negative direction. By plugging in the
CCC1212
Hello, I have this simple COR problem that I seem to be a bit stuck on.

Homework Statement

A 1.25 kg squash racquet swung at 37 m/s contacts a ball moving at 42 m/s in the opposite direction. Immediately after impact the racquet has a velocity of 25 m/s and the ball has a velocity of 50 m/s. What is the coefficient of restitution associated with the impact?

Homework Equations

I've been using e= (V1-V2)/(U1-U2)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use this equation I get 5, but obviously that's wrong since it shouldn't be greater than 1.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
CCC1212 said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks so much

The operative word is direction!

Likes TomHart
PeroK said:
The operative word is direction!
I sort of had a feeling this may be the case. Should I be using "U1+U2" instead of "U2-U1". Or am I way off?

CCC1212 said:
I sort of had a feeling this may be the case. Should I be using "U1+U2" instead of "U2-U1". Or am I way off?

Then depends on the direction of ##U_1## and ##U_2##. Are you using speeds or velocities?

PeroK said:
Then depends on the direction of ##U_1## and ##U_2##. Are you using speeds or velocities?

Velocities since it says 'in the opposite direction' I'm assuming.

CCC1212 said:
Velocities since it says 'in the opposite direction' I'm assuming.

So, what are the initial velocities of the racket and ball?

They are 37 m/s (racket) and 42 m/s (ball)

Ahhh I think I see what you may be getting at. Because it says the ball is moving in the opposite direction, should I be writing the equation like...

50-25/37- -42

CCC1212 said:
They are 37 m/s (racket) and 42 m/s (ball)

No, for velocities that can't be correct if they are in opposite directions.

CCC1212 said:
Ahhh I think I see what you may be getting at. Because it says the ball is moving in the opposite direction, should I be writing the equation like...

50-25/37- -42

Only if you know why!

Likes CCC1212
PeroK said:
No, for velocities that can't be correct if they are in opposite directions.
Could you explain that statement. I thought the difference between speed and velocity is that velocity considers direction?

CCC1212 said:
Could you explain that statement. I thought the difference between speed and velocity is that velocity considers direction?

When you have a problem in 1D it's up to you to decide what direction is positive and what direction is negative. In this case I might decide that the racket is moving in the positive direction, which means that the velocity of the racket is ##37m/s##.

The ball is moving in the opposite direction, so its velocity must be ##-42 m/s##.

Likes CCC1212
PeroK said:
When you have a problem in 1D it's up to you to decide what direction is positive and what direction is negative. In this case I might decide that the racket is moving in the positive direction, which means that the velocity of the racket is ##37m/s##.

The ball is moving in the opposite direction, so its velocity must be ##-42 m/s##.

Ahhh of course. Thanks so much!

Related to Coefficient of Restitution problem

1. What is the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution, also known as COR, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It represents the ratio of the final velocity to the initial velocity of an object after a collision. COR values range from 0 to 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.

2. How is the Coefficient of Restitution calculated?

The Coefficient of Restitution is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the two objects after a collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This can be mathematically expressed as COR = (v2 - v1) / (u1 - u2), where v2 and v1 are the final velocities of the two objects and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities.

3. What factors affect the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution is affected by several factors, including the materials and surface properties of the objects in collision, the angle and speed of impact, and the presence of any external forces such as friction. In general, objects with higher elasticity and smoother surfaces tend to have higher COR values.

4. Why is the Coefficient of Restitution important in physics?

The Coefficient of Restitution is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in collisions. It is a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics and is used in various fields such as sports, engineering, and vehicle safety. COR values can also be used to determine the efficiency of energy transfer in a collision.

5. How does the Coefficient of Restitution affect the outcome of a collision?

The Coefficient of Restitution directly affects the outcome of a collision by determining how much kinetic energy is conserved or lost during the collision. A higher COR value means that more kinetic energy is conserved and the objects will bounce off each other, while a lower COR value means that more energy is lost and the objects will stick together or deform. This can have significant implications in terms of the damage or force exerted during a collision.