Ball bounces several times on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball falling on an inclined plane with a given height and angle of inclination. The first part of the problem is solved, and the second part is solved using a coefficient of restitution of 0.75. The value for the angle of reflection is debated, and it is concluded that for a perfectly elastic collision, the angle should be equal to theta. The problem is then solved again with a value of e=0.75 and a final distance of 18.5 m along the incline is obtained. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

A ball falls on an inclined plane of inclination theta from a
height h above the point of impact and makes a perfectly
elastic collision. Where will it hit the plane again ?
Solve the previous problem if the coefficient of restitution
is e. Use theta = 45°, e = .75 and h = 5 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve first part of the problem and got the distance along the incline to be =8hsinθ. For second part I am getting angle of reflection of ball with normal to be 53 degree but the value in my text is 37degree. but I don't think the angle should be less than theta

Physics news on Phys.org
perfectly elastic collision
coefficient of restitution is e.
e = 0.75
So is it perfectly elastic or not?

yrjosmiel said:
So is it perfectly elastic or not?
They want it solved twice. Once perfectly elastic then again with e=0.75.

that's right. In second case it is not elatic

carlyn medona said:
angle of reflection of ball with normal to be 53 degree but the value in my text is 37degree. but I don't think the angle should be less than theta
You are correct. If e < 1 then the angle to the normal of the reflection will be greater than the incident angle to the normal.
I assume you noticed that 37=90-53.

yes.

okay i finally solved it and got a value of 18.5 m along the incline, thanks for the help.

carlyn medona said:
okay i finally solved it and got a value of 18.5 m along the incline, thanks for the help.
Good. (I get 18.56.)

Thank you for your help.

Related to Ball bounces several times on an inclined plane

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the number of bounces?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the number of bounces by changing the amount of gravitational potential energy the ball has before it reaches the inclined plane. A steeper angle will result in a greater increase in potential energy, causing the ball to bounce more times before coming to a stop.

2. Why does the ball bounce multiple times on an inclined plane?

The ball bounces multiple times on an inclined plane because the inclined plane is at an angle to the ground, creating a slope for the ball to roll down. As the ball rolls down the slope, it gains kinetic energy, causing it to bounce off the inclined plane multiple times before eventually coming to a stop.

3. How does the surface of the inclined plane affect the ball's bounces?

The surface of the inclined plane can affect the ball's bounces by changing the amount of friction between the ball and the surface. A rougher surface will result in more friction, causing the ball to slow down and bounce fewer times. A smoother surface will result in less friction, allowing the ball to bounce more times.

4. Does the mass of the ball affect the number of bounces on an inclined plane?

The mass of the ball does not significantly affect the number of bounces on an inclined plane. The main factor that affects the number of bounces is the angle of the inclined plane and the surface it is on. However, a heavier ball may experience slightly more bounces due to its increased momentum.

5. What factors can cause the ball to stop bouncing on an inclined plane?

Several factors can cause the ball to stop bouncing on an inclined plane. These include the angle of the inclined plane, the surface it is on, the mass of the ball, and air resistance. As the ball loses energy through bouncing and friction, it will eventually come to a stop and will not bounce anymore.