Choosing Summer REU: UT Austin vs UC Davis

• Thread starter morenogabr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Summer
In summary: Which subject do you think is more interesting? Personally (though this is from someone not living in the US), I'd much rather spend a summer in California than Texas!
morenogabr
I have been accepted to two summer research programs: I can do plasma work at the University of Texas at Austin or particle physics work at University of California Davis.

I guess it would be silly to ask for advice regarding which program I should choose because I realize that they are both great schools and I alone must make the decision. But I have to make a decision fairly quickly and I guess I am not sure how to go about doing so. Anyone have advice on what important factors I should consider?

I've heard attending a summer REU at any given school increases your favorability of getting into their graduate program? How true is this? How important is the actual subject of research? I have been told that doing UG research is not a likely indicator of career path and is more about learning the research process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which subject do you think is more interesting? Personally (though this is from someone not living in the US), I'd much rather spend a summer in California than Texas!

What's a REU?

cristo said:
Which subject do you think is more interesting? Personally (though this is from someone not living in the US), I'd much rather spend a summer in California than Texas!

I think particle would be more interesting, but probably much harder. Though I could be wrong, magnetohydrodynamics in plasma is no walk in the park. I guess I feel I am more familiar with plasma but think particle would be more of an adventure.

I don't know much about Davis CA, but Austin is a blast. Especially during the summer!

Sorry, that's true. Thanks. LB

REUs are often hit or miss. The biggest question, if you are equally interested in the either field and are only looking to do *some* sort of research, is do you know anything about either of the professors you will be working for? Do you even know who you will be working for?

When I did my REU, I knew the professor I was going to be doing the REU under, so I knew he was a good research advisor (I had collaborated with him on research previously).

Norman said:
REUs are often hit or miss. The biggest question, if you are equally interested in the either field and are only looking to do *some* sort of research, is do you know anything about either of the professors you will be working for? Do you even know who you will be working for?

When I did my REU, I knew the professor I was going to be doing the REU under, so I knew he was a good research advisor (I had collaborated with him on research previously).

At this point I know who I will work under at UT, I don't know him in any personal sense, but I do know a professor that is familiar with him and might be able to give me his opinion on how good of an advisor this person might be. I don't know who I will work with at UC, but will soon. Hadn't thought very hard about the advisor aspect yet, thanks for the tip.

Related to Choosing Summer REU: UT Austin vs UC Davis

What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a competitive and prestigious summer research program for undergraduate students. These programs are typically offered by universities and national laboratories and provide hands-on research experience in various fields of study.

What are the benefits of participating in an REU program?

Participating in an REU program can provide numerous benefits, including gaining practical research experience, networking with professionals in your field of study, enhancing your resume for future job or graduate school applications, and potentially earning a stipend or academic credit.

How do I choose between UT Austin and UC Davis for an REU program?

When deciding between REU programs at different universities, it is important to consider the specific research projects and opportunities available at each institution, as well as the location and any potential funding or support offered. You should also consider the reputation and resources of the university and its faculty in your field of study.

What are some factors to consider when choosing a summer REU program?

In addition to the specific university and research opportunities, you should also consider the program's duration and schedule, housing and living arrangements, and any additional requirements or expectations, such as presentations or publications. You may also want to consider the overall cost and any available financial support.

Can I apply to multiple REU programs?

Yes, you can apply to multiple REU programs, and it is often recommended to increase your chances of being accepted. However, make sure to carefully review each program's requirements and deadlines, as well as any potential conflicts with overlapping dates or commitments.