Checking My Gearbox RPM Calculations for Conveyors

In summary, the calculations show that a gearbox ratio of 12:1 is needed for a conveyor that travels 30 ft in 4.5 minutes and a conveyor that travels 28 ft in 20 seconds. The gearbox ratio needs to be reduced by a factor of 9.35 for the slower conveyor.
SevenToFive
I am not really buying my calculations of a gearboxes rpm for some conveyor applications. First conveyor has to travel 30 feet in 4.5 minutes with 2" rollers. If I divide 30' by 4.5minutes I get 6.667feet/minute and with a 2" diameter the gearbox should be about a 12:1 ratio.
The other is a conveyor to travel 28 feet in 20 seconds with 2" diameter rollers. IF I did this correctly I divided 28ft by 20 seconds to get 1.4ft/sec, which would give me 160rpm.

Thanks for checking my work.

Engineering news on Phys.org
30 ft in 4.5 min = 6.667 ft per min = 80” per min.
A 2” diam roller has 6.283” circumference. So roller will be at 12.733 RPM.
How you get a 12:1 gearbox ratio I do not know. It depends on the motor RPM.
A 1500 RPM motor will need a reduction of 1500 / 12.733 = 117.8 : 1 ratio.

28 feet in 20 sec = 84 ft per min = 1008” per min.
2" diameter roller has 6.283” circumference. So roller will be at 160.5 RPM.
A 1500 RPM motor will need a reduction of 1500 / 160.5 = 9.35 : 1 ratio.

Likes SevenToFive
SevenToFive said:
I am not really buying my calculations of a gearboxes rpm for some conveyor applications. First conveyor has to travel 30 feet in 4.5 minutes with 2" rollers. If I divide 30' by 4.5minutes I get 6.667feet/minute and with a 2" diameter the gearbox should be about a 12:1 ratio.
The other is a conveyor to travel 28 feet in 20 seconds with 2" diameter rollers. IF I did this correctly I divided 28ft by 20 seconds to get 1.4ft/sec, which would give me 160rpm.

Thanks for checking my work.
How is power transferred to the 2" rollers?

For instance, are they connected to a main drive shaft equipped with pulleys via heavy "rubber bands"?
Conveyor Lineshaft drive.jpg

If so, is there a chain or belted reduction between line shaft and gearbox?

Baluncore said:
30 ft in 4.5 min = 6.667 ft per min = 80” per min.
A 2” diam roller has 6.283” circumference. So roller will be at 12.733 RPM.
How you get a 12:1 gearbox ratio I do not know. It depends on the motor RPM.
A 1500 RPM motor will need a reduction of 1500 / 12.733 = 117.8 : 1 ratio.

28 feet in 20 sec = 84 ft per min = 1008” per min.
2" diameter roller has 6.283” circumference. So roller will be at 160.5 RPM.
A 1500 RPM motor will need a reduction of 1500 / 160.5 = 9.35 : 1 ratio.
I was using 1750 rpm for a motor speed. Thanks again for the help.

Related to Checking My Gearbox RPM Calculations for Conveyors

1. How do I calculate the RPM for a conveyor gearbox?

To calculate the RPM for a conveyor gearbox, you will need to know the gear ratio of the gearbox, the motor speed, and the diameter of the driven pulley. Use the formula RPM = (Motor Speed / Gear Ratio) x (Driven Pulley Diameter / Driven Pulley Speed) to calculate the RPM.

2. What is the gear ratio and how do I find it for my conveyor gearbox?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the driving gear to the number of teeth on the driven gear in a gearbox. You can find the gear ratio by counting the number of teeth on the gears or by consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the gearbox.

3. How do I determine the motor speed for my conveyor gearbox?

The motor speed for a conveyor gearbox can be found by consulting the motor's specifications or by measuring the speed with a tachometer. If the motor is powered by a variable frequency drive (VFD), the speed can be adjusted to achieve the desired RPM for the conveyor.

4. What is the importance of checking my gearbox RPM calculations for conveyors?

Checking the RPM calculations for conveyors is important because it ensures that the conveyor is running at the correct speed to transport materials efficiently. It also helps to prevent excessive wear and tear on the gearbox and other components of the conveyor system.

5. Can I use the same formula for calculating RPM for all types of conveyors?

The formula for calculating RPM may vary slightly depending on the type of conveyor and the design of the gearbox. It is best to consult the manufacturer's specifications or guidelines for the specific type of conveyor you are working with to determine the correct formula for calculating RPM.