Need Help Calculating what Motor and Gearbox I need (building myself a Trommel)

• Thread starter Paul Glavey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: It's always best to have a little extra power than not enough, so a 1.5 HP motor should work just fine. The important thing is to make sure the motor has enough torque to handle the weight of the soil in the drum and the friction from the belts. In summary, the conversation is about building a Trommel for veg gardening. The person is trying to figure out what type of motor and gearbox they need to make the drum spin at 20-25rpm. They have calculated that a 1/2 HP motor should be sufficient, but a 1.5 HP motor would be better to ensure enough torque. They also discuss the weight of the soil and the height it falls, and determine that 300 watts or
Paul Glavey
Hello

I recently got into veg gardening. I have a lot of good soil but it needs to be sieved to remove rocks and other crap from it. I decided to build myself a Trommel based on this article http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/...
But I decided to make a more robust version of it, everything else stayed the same.

I need to calculate what One Phase Motor I need to purchase and if any gearbox (peed reducer) I need. Below is the measurements of the trommel that I think are important for this calculation.

The Drum Weight is 52KG (up to 70KG with Soil inside, that’s about 2 x 12 Liter buckets full)
The length of the drum is 50” (127cm)
The outside diameter is 30” (76cm)
Inside diameter is 28 ½” (72.5cm) the difference of the inside and outside diameter is mainly due to the channels that the casters and belt run on.
The channel for the belt is 20mm wide.
I would need the drum to spin at about 20 to 25rpm.

Going by this information can someone tell me how to calculate what type of motor I would need, what HP and what would be the best way to reduce the rpm?

Thanks,
P

Engineering news on Phys.org
Paul Glavey said:
I would need the drum to spin at about 20 to 25rpm.
On a 50 Hz supply, a low cost induction motor runs at just below 1500 RPM. 1500/20 = 75 reduction ratio.
At 60 Hz it will be just below 1800 RPM. 1800/25 needs a 72 ratio.

Drum diameter is 30” so motor pulley would need to be about 30”/73 = 0.4” which is impossibly small. So you will need another stage of reduction. If the motor pulley used was 3” diameter the extra reduction stage would need to be about 3”/0.4” = 7.3 which could be done with a gearbox or an intermediate shaft and an extra belt.

The compost is being continuously lifted up as the drum rotates, then falls back. The mass of compost rolling in the trommel and the hight it falls from will determine the HP required.

Hello Baluncore

I was thinking if I used a 1500rpm motor and with a 2" pulley (A) connected to it and a belt from that going to a 8" pulley (B) on an axial with another 2" pulley (C) and the second 2" pulley connected via a belt to the drum (D) which is 30", then I would end up with 25rpm. But what HP motor should I start with, if the weight of the soil in the drum is 18kg and the height it falls is 28.5"?

Thanks for the help,
P

Last edited:
Paul Glavey said:
But what HP motor should I start with, if the weight of the soil in the drum is 18kg and the height it falls is 28.5"?
It does not fall from the top. It falls from half height or less as the drum rotates. That is 20 kg of soil being lifted 0.4 metre, 25 times per minute.
PE = m·g·h = 20 * 9.8 * 0.4 = 78.4 joule per tumble. There will be about 6 tumbles per rev.
78.4 joule * 6 tumbles * 25 RPM / 60 sec = 200 watt. Belt friction will be something like 100 watt. Total power = 300 watt.
300 watt = 0.4 HP
So I expect a 1/2 HP motor will be just sufficient.

Baluncore said:
It does not fall from the top. It falls from half height or less as the drum rotates. That is 20 kg of soil being lifted 0.4 metre, 25 times per minute.
PE = m·g·h = 20 * 9.8 * 0.4 = 78.4 joule per tumble. There will be about 6 tumbles per rev.
78.4 joule * 6 tumbles * 25 RPM / 60 sec = 200 watt. Belt friction will be something like 100 watt. Total power = 300 watt.
300 watt = 0.4 HP
So I expect a 1/2 HP motor will be just sufficient.

Wasn't able to figure out what your math was there for a few seconds but I understand it now. I was trying to calculate the needed HP differently using Power = (Force x Distance) /Time which was giving me 112.32 HP. Then I divided that by 60 because 1500/25 is 60. That was telling me I needed a 1.8 HP motor to start with.

Thanks for putting me straight. One final query, there would be no harm using a 1.5 HP Motor like this one http://www.clarkedistributors.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=95_98&product_id=710 or should I stick to a 1/2HP one?

P

That 1 HP motor should do the job.

Related to Need Help Calculating what Motor and Gearbox I need (building myself a Trommel)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a motor and gearbox for a trommel?

When selecting a motor and gearbox for a trommel, there are several important factors to consider. These include the size and weight of the trommel, the desired rotational speed, the torque required to rotate the drum, and the power source available. Additionally, you will need to consider the efficiency and durability of the motor and gearbox, as well as any budget constraints.

2. How do I determine the rotational speed needed for my trommel?

The rotational speed of a trommel is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM). To determine the required RPM for your trommel, you will need to consider the size and weight of the drum, as well as the material being processed. For example, a smaller trommel processing lighter materials may require a lower RPM, while a larger trommel processing heavier materials may need a higher RPM for optimal performance.

3. What type of motor and gearbox is best for a trommel?

The type of motor and gearbox that is best for a trommel will depend on the specific needs and requirements of your project. However, generally speaking, a gear motor or a worm gear motor is often recommended for trommels due to their ability to provide high torque and low speed, which is ideal for rotating the drum of a trommel.

4. How do I calculate the torque needed for my trommel?

To calculate the torque required for your trommel, you will need to know the weight of the drum, the desired rotational speed, and the radius of the drum. Once you have this information, you can use the formula T = (I x N) / (5252 x R), where T is torque (in foot-pounds), I is the moment of inertia (in pound-feet squared), N is the rotational speed (in RPM), and R is the radius of the drum (in feet).

5. Can I use a pre-built motor and gearbox for my trommel, or do I need to custom build one?

It is possible to use a pre-built motor and gearbox for your trommel, but it is important to ensure that it is suitable for your specific needs and requirements. It may be necessary to custom build a motor and gearbox if you have unique specifications or if you are unable to find a suitable pre-built option. Consulting with a professional or doing thorough research can help you determine the best option for your project.