Challenge Yourself: Count and Add 1-100 Without a Calculator!

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability to count and add all the numbers from 1-100 without the use of a calculator, with reference to mathematician Gauss and his method of using the formula ((S+F)/2)*(F-S+1). The group also discusses the average value of the numbers and how it relates to the formula. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that it is possible to count and add all the numbers from 1-100 without a calculator and provides a link to a lecture explaining the process.
konartist
Can you count and add all the numbers 1-100 without using a calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
konartist said:

You got me!

As a metter of fact, I think I can :wink:
If I am not mistaken then Gauss did it centuries ago...

konartist said:

Let's hope not! ... Maybe all the *integers*, tho :)
(And yeah, you can use the old ((S+F)/2)*(F-S+1) trick to add all the integers between S and F)

DaveE

konartist said:
Well it wasn't easy, but there are 100 of them.

VietDao29 said:
As a metter of fact, I think I can :wink:
If I am not mistaken then Gauss did it centuries ago...

Yes sir, an old wive's tale is that he one day was punished in 3rd grade class and the teacher asked him to add all the numbers 1-100 thinking it would keep him busy, but he was able to reply the answer back to her in a matter of seconds.

yea u just use the formula...sum = 0.5n(n+1)

so 0.5 x 100 x 101 =50 x 101 = 5050

Yes, 1 + ... + 100 = (1 + 100) + (2 + 99) + ... (50 + 51) = (101) + (101) + ... + (101) [50 times] = 50 x 101 = 5050. I heard that this is how Gauss did it.

So what you're all saying is, find the average value (50.5) and mutiply by the number of terms.

Cybersteve said:
So what you're all saying is, find the average value (50.5) and mutiply by the number of terms.
What is 50.5 the average value of?

mattmns said:
I think he meant the average value of the first term and the last term, ie:
(1 + 100) / 2 = 50.5

mattmns said:

50.5 is the average value of all the numbers 1 to 100 inclusive.

If there were an odd number of terms in an evenly spaced sequence the average would be the middle term.
As this sequence is even the average value is the average of the two middle terms - 50 & 51.

Ahh, I must have misread something.

mattmns said:
Ahh, I must have misread something.
Not so much misread as partially read. 50.5 is not only the average of 1 and 100. It is also the average of 2 and 99, 3 and 98, etc. That is, it is the average of the set of integers from 1 to 100.

im lost...

This is easy.

Here is a lecture that shows you how to do it.
http://www.jimloy.com/algebra/gauss.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Challenge Yourself: Count and Add 1-100 Without a Calculator!

What is the purpose of the "Challenge Yourself: Count and Add 1-100 Without a Calculator!" activity?

The purpose of this activity is to improve mental math skills and challenge oneself to solve math problems without relying on a calculator. This can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

What are the benefits of practicing mental math?

Practicing mental math can improve memory, concentration, and overall brain function. It can also save time and increase confidence in solving math problems.

How can I improve my mental math skills?

One way to improve mental math skills is to practice regularly. Start with simple calculations and gradually increase the difficulty. You can also use mental math strategies such as breaking numbers into smaller parts or using estimation.

Is it important to learn how to do math without a calculator?

Yes, it is important to learn how to do math without a calculator because it can help improve problem-solving skills and mental agility. In some situations, a calculator may not be readily available, so being able to do math without one can be useful.

What are some tips for counting and adding without a calculator?

Some tips for counting and adding without a calculator include breaking numbers into smaller parts, using estimation, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to use mental math strategies such as visualizing numbers or using patterns.