What Does Your Post and Like Count Say About You?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary, the equation for post count * e^{-6} = chance that you've posted too much and should stop now is skewed because old regulars have plenty of posts from times when there were no likes. The equation for post count * e^{-6} = chance that you've posted too much and should stop now is skewed because old regulars have plenty of posts from times when there were no likes.
Drakkith
Mentor
Post count. "Like" count. What are your best explanations about what they say about you (and other PF members)? This isn't serious, it's just a silly little game. Anything goes. I'll start:

Multiply your like count by 100 and then divide it by your post count. This is the number of lovers you've had.

##\frac{\log(Post Count)} {\log(Like Count)}## rounded to the nearest whole number = Number of times you'll win the lottery in your lifetime. (Only once for me :cry:)

##Post Count * e^{-6} =## chance that you've posted too much and should stop now. (I'm at 42.96%)

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone whose post count divided by their like count equals pi wins. Period.

Likes Ibn Al Kishki, Evo, cnh1995 and 3 others
The results are skewed, old regulars have plenty of posts from times when there were no likes.

Likes nrqed, Evo and fresh_42
Borek said:
The results are skewed, old regulars have plenty of posts from times when there were no likes.

Yep.

Likes Evo and fresh_42
Drakkith said:
Multiply your like count by 100 and then divide it by your post count. This is the number of lovers you've had.
60? That equation is definitely off. :oldtongue:

Likes davenn, mister mishka, Evo and 2 others
Heh, for guys at least, I'd suspect that ##(posts \times likes)## on PF has an inverse relationship to the number of girlfriends you've had. :cry:

Likes Evo, Borek and Drakkith
strangerep said:
Heh, for guys at least, I'd suspect that ##(posts \times likes)## on PF has an inverse relationship to the number of girlfriends you've had. :cry:
PF is the only girlfriend you need. :smile:

Likes Ibn Al Kishki, fresh_42 and Drakkith
Greg Bernhardt said:
Ahem,... have you been interfering with your computer's ethernet port again?

Likes Ibn Al Kishki, Evo, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
PF is my girlfriend? I'm going to have to erase my browser history.

Again.

Likes Drakkith, Evo and ProfuselyQuarky
Probably that I must be an unhelpful harlot on here. I really dislike my like count being displayed. Not that I don't appreciate getting likes, because I do. An assumption could be that I didn't earn my likes by being helpful and working hard on here, but could be attributed to something else.

Likes Ibn Al Kishki, vela, dkotschessaa and 2 others
Fervent Freyja said:
Probably that I must be an unhelpful harlot on here. I really dislike my like count being displayed. Not that I don't appreciate getting likes, because I do. An assumption could be that I didn't earn my likes by being helpful and working hard on here, but could be attributed to something else.
... those eyes ...

Likes Ibn Al Kishki, mister mishka, ProfuselyQuarky and 2 others
Borg said:
60? That equation is definitely off. :oldtongue:

Yeah same, 60 is much lower than in reality.. :oldtongue:

Likes Evo, Borg and Drakkith
Fervent Freyja said:

The bribe money? I haven't told any..oops

Likes Fervent Freyja and Evo
Fervent Freyja said:
An assumption could be that I didn't earn my likes by being helpful and working hard on here, but could be attributed to something else.
Well, I can assure you that in my particular case it most definitely IS attributable to something else. The "likes" USED to be "thanks" which was a MUCH more meaningful thing but Greg insisted (over my vehement but useless protestations) on changing it to "like", I guess so we'd be more like Facebook.

So now we have a situation where, for example, @Drakkith , @PeterDonis , and I all have about the same number of "likes". BUT ... They have them because they are in fact very helpful and are constantly giving people (including me) useful information. I have them largely because people sometimes find my smart-ass remarks amusing. Their "likes" and mine just aren't counting the same thing at all and I knew that would happen when Greg changed "thanks" to "like".

Likes Evo, dkotschessaa, Bystander and 1 other person
... Just gave a @phinds a like, for exactly the reason he cited. :-p A kind of recursive like, if you like.

For myself, when I post a joke in the general discussion thread on lame jokes I get way more likes for one post than I do for dozens of more serious posts that each take time to research and set up. Not sure what that means. ... Don't know what I'm doing? Lame jokes are of more benefit? So is Paul (phinds) correct, the function of a like is what the crowd dictates by usage, and not what the forums admin wants it to be?

Likes Evo and Bystander
jim mcnamara said:
... Just gave a @phinds a like, for exactly the reason he cited. :-p A kind of recursive like, if you like.

For myself, when I post a joke in the general discussion thread on lame jokes I get way more likes for one post than I do for dozens of more serious posts that each take time to research and set up. Not sure what that means. ... Don't know what I'm doing? Lame jokes are of more benefit?
So is Paul (phinds) correct, the function of a like is what the crowd dictates by usage, and not what the forums admin wants it to be?
But I think it IS what @Greg Bernhardt wants it to be ... a Facebook-like "like". We had this conversation back when he changed it from "thanks".

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Well, I can assure you that in my particular case it most definitely IS attributable to something else. The "likes" USED to be "thanks" which was a MUCH more meaningful thing but Greg insisted (over my vehement but useless protestations) on changing it to "like", I guess so we'd be more like Facebook.

So now we have a situation where, for example, @Drakkith , @PeterDonis , and I all have about the same number of "likes". BUT ... They have them because they are in fact very helpful and are constantly giving people (including me) useful information. I have them largely because people sometimes find my smart-ass remarks amusing. Their "likes" and mine just aren't counting the same thing at all and I knew that would happen when Greg changed "thanks" to "like".
I just liked your post out of spite. Take that!

Likes Evo
dkotschessaa said:
I just liked your post out of spite. Take that!
Yeah, that happens all the time :-p

You probably would not have done that if it had been a "thanks" button

Likes Evo and dkotschessaa
phinds said:
Yeah, that happens all the time :-p

You probably would not have done that if it had been a "thanks" button
I like likes. (Did it again! )

I don't have Facebook anymore, but I do think the idea of "likes" as well as +1s (on Google+) were a good idea.

I think the idea is that you want to acknowledge a post and it's content whether something further needs to be added or not.

It's a nod, an approving grunt, an "I get ya."

Get me?

Likes Evo
dkotschessaa said:
I
It's a nod, an approving grunt, an "I get ya."

Get me?
Yes, I get you, but my point is that this ISN'T Facebook, it's a serious science forum and I believe "thanks" means "thank you for the help" which is what I would like to see when appropriate vs "like" which means exactly what you said it means, nothing more.

Likes Evo and nrqed
phinds said:
Yes, I get you, but my point is that this ISN'T Facebook, it's a serious science forum and I believe "thanks" means "thank you for the help" which is what I would like to see when appropriate vs "like" which means exactly what you said it means, nothing more.
My take on the controversy was that a "thanks" ought to be explicitly expressed in a post addressing the person you're thanking. Seems like the least you could do if they spend some time and effort on your question. A "thanks" button trivializes this.

Also, when it used to be a "thanks" button, it was clear a large percentage of people were misusing it as a "like" button, having been primed by FaceBook to do so, a situation that further eroded its function as an expression of gratitude.

The problem from the start, it seemed to me, was that Greg had gotten the very idea of some kind of button from the FaceBook "like" button, and, that being the case, was having a hard time hijacking it for other purposes. You may claim this isn't FaceBook, but when you import a FaceBook device, you psychologically put people in a FaceBook kind of frame.

Likes Evo
zoobyshoe said:
My take on the controversy was that a "thanks" ought to be explicitly expressed in a post addressing the person you're thanking. Seems like the least you could do if they spend some time and effort on your question. A "thanks" button trivializes this.
I agree this was one of the best arguments Greg put forward for the change and I agree w/ your point of view.

Also, when it used to be a "thanks" button, it was clear a large percentage of people were misusing it as a "like" button, having been primed by FaceBook to do so, a situation that further eroded its function as an expression of gratitude.
I'm less confident about this but it certainly has the ring of truth / likelihood.

The problem from the start, it seemed to me, was that Greg had gotten the very idea of some kind of button from the FaceBook "like" button, and, that being the case, was having a hard time hijacking it for other purposes. You may claim this isn't FaceBook, but when you import a FaceBook device, you psychologically put people in a FaceBook kind of frame.
Yeah, but I'm curmudgeonly and don't WANT PF to be Facebook, thus my resistance to the change.

Likes Evo
zoobyshoe said:
phinds said:
I'm less confident about this but it certainly has the ring of truth / likelihood.
It's certainly a personal perception on my part, but what I perceived is that random people were "thanking" people without having ever posed any questions. The "thanks," therefore, seemed actually to mean, "Given that someone else, and not me, posed this question, I never-the-less "like" your answer."
phinds said:
Yeah, but I'm curmudgeonly and don't WANT PF to be Facebook, thus my resistance to the change.
Prior to any button a really large percentage of people were quoting posts they liked and commenting by means of emoticon alone. A whole separate post like that, as opposed to a mere "like" notice, causes untold trillions of electrical charges to be tied up in electronic chips each and every time someone does that, charges which might serve a much more useful purpose in some other capacity. There's only so much electrical charge in the universe and only a micro-minute fraction of that is available for our use here on earth. Let us deploy our limited supply conservatively.

Likes Evo
zoobyshoe said:
It's certainly a personal perception on my part, but what I perceived is that random people were "thanking" people without having ever posed any questions. The "thanks," therefore, seemed actually to mean, "Given that someone else, and not me, posed this question, I never-the-less "like" your answer."
At leas some of those were probably intended as "thanks for posting such a helpful answer" but I get your point.

Prior to any button a really large percentage of people were quoting posts they liked and commenting by means of emoticon alone. A whole separate post like that, as opposed to a mere "like" notice, causes untold trillions of electrical charges to be tied up in electronic chips each and every time someone does that, charges which might serve a much more useful purpose in some other capacity. There's only so much electrical charge in the universe and only a micro-minute fraction of that is available for our use here on earth. Let us deploy our limited supply conservatively.
:smile:

Likes Evo
phinds said:
I believe "thanks" means "thank you for the help"
could be "Thanks or the Joke"!

Likes Evo
zoobyshoe said:

I may be an exception but I very often click on "like" for that very reason: I am not the one asking a question and I may not even have participated in the thread but I see someone having taken the time to craft a clear and detailed answer to some question and I want to reward the poster for doing that.

Likes Evo and BillTre
nrqed said:
I may be an exception but I very often click on "like" for that very reason: I am not the one asking a question and I may not even have participated in the thread but I see someone having taken the time to craft a clear and detailed answer to some question and I want to reward the poster for doing that.
Not sure why you think you'd be exceptional. That's the purpose of the "like" button: to express approval.

Likes Evo
I just liked everyone.

Now I need a big juicy Hardees Cheeseburger, it's going to be -3F tonight, and it snowed,and I don't feel well, and my pain doctor is insane and she's killing me (for the record).

Last edited:
Likes SammyS, Fervent Freyja and BillTre
OMG, so I went to feed the dogs, and the dog food bag split open and now I have 15 pounds of dog food on the floor and I can't bend over (thank you psycho pain dr). The dogs just looked at me like, "well, this is different". :oldcry: Oh, and it's on the carpet.

Evo said:
OMG, so I went to feed the dogs, and the dog food bag split open and now I have 15 pounds of dog food on the floor and I can't bend over (thank you psycho pain dr). The dogs just looked at me like, "well, this is different". :oldcry:
Evo, I'm really sorry to hear about your pain but your comment about the dogs really cracked me up.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Evo, I'm really sorry to hear about your pain but your comment about the dogs really cracked me up.
They're not touching it, they've come into the bedroom, they think it's a trick.

Likes Bystander
phinds said:
I have them largely because people sometimes find my smart-ass remarks amusing. Their "likes" and mine just aren't counting the same thing at all and I knew that would happen when Greg changed "thanks" to "like".

A "funny/I get your joke" button, in addition to a "thanks" and "like" button would be great options to have on here. Humor is important. But, I don't think the majority of your likes are because of others being amused, even meanies can be helpful. It's always nice and helpful to meet others that are passionate about science, you do have that going for you... I don't like facebook either, but I guess that experience is dependent upon a persons friends list. Some people may have awesome friends with similar interests, facebook would be appealing to me in that case.

I use the like button for many reasons, even as a 'thanks' or to let a poster see that I recognized they replied to me. Zoobyshoe noted that people could actually respond in those cases, but some people may not want to take the thread away from the OP or cause a topic change. Unless I'm upset with someone then I will at least click like to show that I got the message.

fresh_42 said:
... those eyes ...

... serve as a useful deterrent against possible annoying males. Women with makeup are found to be more http://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/news-and-events/latest-research/wearingmakeupinfluenceshowmenandwomenperceiveyoursocialstatusindifferentways.php. I like to aggravate folks too much... :biggrin:

Likes Evo

Related to What Does Your Post and Like Count Say About You?

1. What is the significance of my post and like count?

The post and like count on social media can indicate the level of engagement and popularity of your content. It can also reflect your online presence and activity.

2. Can my post and like count affect my online reputation?

Yes, your post and like count can influence how others perceive you on social media. A high post and like count can make you appear more popular and influential, while a low count may suggest a lack of engagement or interest.

3. Is there a correlation between my post and like count and my self-esteem?

Studies have shown that there is a correlation between social media use and self-esteem. A high post and like count can boost self-esteem, while a low count may lead to feelings of inadequacy or FOMO (fear of missing out).

4. How can I improve my post and like count?

Engaging with other users, posting high-quality content, and using relevant hashtags can help increase your post and like count. Consistency and authenticity are also key factors in building a strong online presence.

5. Can my post and like count be manipulated?

Yes, there are ways to artificially increase your post and like count, such as buying likes or using bots. However, this can be seen as dishonest and can harm your online reputation. It's best to focus on creating genuine and engaging content to naturally increase your post and like count.