Centripetal acceleration of ball and rope

In summary, an athlete swings a 5 kg ball horizontally on the end of a rope with a radius of .800m and an angular speed of .500rev/second. The maximum tension the rope can withstand is 100N. To find the maximum tangential speed of the ball, net forces in the 'y' direction and the equation omega_final^2=omega_initial^2+2alpha(delta theta) must be used. By solving for the acceleration through net forces in the y direction with a free body diagram, the value of alpha can be determined. The centripetal force acts outward and the weight acts downward, with the tension in the rope being the force triangle of these two. The centripetal acceleration always acts
blader324

Homework Statement

An athlete swings a 5 kg ball horizontally on the end of a rope. the ball moves in a circle of a radius .800m at an angular speed of .500rev/second. if the maximum tension the rope can withstand before breaking is 100N, what is the maximum tangential speed the ball can have?

Homework Equations

I think you have to use net forces in the 'y' direction, as well as omega_final^2=omega_intial^2+2alpha(delta theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

i've drawn a free body diagram of the 5kg mass at the bottom of a circle (so that the centripital acceleration is going directly upwards). i know i have to solve for alpha. can i do that by solving for the acceleration through the net forces in the y direction with the free body diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
The centredal force acts outward (in the x direction if you like) the weight acts downward (in -y). The tension in the rope is just the force triangle of these two.

i thought that at the bottom of the circle, the centripetal acceleration would be going upwards?

I assumed horizontal to mean the circle was horizontal, like swinging a hammer throw around your head?

But in any case the centripedal accel always acts outwards away form the axis.

oh okay...i think that might help

Related to Centripetal acceleration of ball and rope

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a ball and rope?

The centripetal acceleration of a ball and rope is affected by the speed of the ball, the length of the rope, and the mass of the ball. A longer rope or a faster moving ball will result in a greater centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases.

5. How is centripetal acceleration related to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a fundamental concept in circular motion. It is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path and prevents it from moving in a straight line. Without centripetal acceleration, an object would continue moving in a straight line.