Ball rotated on a string vector diagram

In summary, the ball swings counterclockwise in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.50 m long. Its total acceleration is -22.5i +20.2j m/s2. For that instant, (a) sketch a vector diagram showing the components of its acceler- ation, (b) determine the magnitude of its radial accel- eration, and (c) determine the speed and velocity of the ball.
Ab17

Homework Statement

is 1222.5i 1 20.2j2 m/s . For that instant, (a) sketch a vector diagram showing the components of its acceler- ation, (b) determine the magnitude of its radial accel- eration, and (c) determine the speed and velocity of the ball.
42. A ball swings counterclockwise in a vertical circle at
the end of a rope 1.50 m long. When the ball is 36.9°
past the lowest point on its way up, its total acceleration is is -22.5i +20.2j m/s2 . For that instant, (a) sketch a vector diagram showing the components of its acceler- ation, (b) determine the magnitude of its radial accel- eration, and (c) determine the speed and velocity of the ball.

Homework Equations

a= acì + atj

The Attempt at a Solution

If the total acceleration is given by -22
5ì + 20.2j m/s2 then isn't 22.5 is the radial acceleration and 20.2m/s2 is the tangential acceleration. I am confused can you please show me the vector diagram too

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ab,

Where did you find that relevant equation ?

Why don't you start drawing a picture of the situation. And work it around to a free body diagram of the ball.

The equation is in vector form

There is tension and gravity

Ab17 said:
The equation is in vector form
In the sense that it gives an x component and a y component.
Ab17 said:
There is tension and gravity
Yes. Please make the sketch.

• FBD

Attachments

• 23052016895.jpg
    23052016895.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 473
That's a start. There is a bit more information: 36.9##^\circ##, 1.5 m and ##\vec a = -22.5 \,\hat\imath + 20.2\, \hat\jmath ## m/s2. (In fact I find these values a bit strange: I would expect a negative vertical component. Brings me to the question: what are ##\hat\imath## and ## \hat\jmath## ? I don't see them in the drawing).

Now you need a relevant equation to link the forces and the acceleration. Any idea ?

Last edited:
F= ma
The tension is causing the centripetal acc

So the centripetal acc will be in direction of tension and towards the center

I and j are unit vectors

Ab17 said:
I and j are unit vectors
Yes, that's why they have a hat. But so far you didn't reveal which way they point :smile:.
Ab17 said:
So the centripetal acc will be in direction of tension and towards the center
Correct. It is a given that the ball describes a circular trajectory. Not with a constant speed (why not?).
Now it's time for another equation. And perhaps you can already draw the figure that part (a) asks for ?

[edit]
BvU said:
I find these values a bit strange: I would expect a negative vertical component
This was a bit premature. Please ignore.

Is this ok

Attachments

• 20160524_143851.jpg
    20160524_143851.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 572
Ab17 said:
A ball swings counterclockwise in a vertical circle at
the end of a rope 1.50 m long. When the ball is 36.9° past the lowest point on its way up
I'm not good at approval stamping. But I am good at asking nasty questions, so:
  • What makes you think the ##\hat \imath## and ##\hat \jmath## are radial and tangential and not simply horizontal and vertical ?
  • Where is that 36.9° angle sitting ?

Because If a is the total acceleration then its components have to be I and J

36.9 is below the x axis

Ab17 said:
Because If a is the total acceleration then its components have to be I and J
Agree. But this goes for horizontal and vertical just as well.
Ab17 said:
36.9 is below the x axis
It cleary says something else altogether.

It tells us the location of the ball isnt

Ab17 said:
When the ball is 36.9° past the lowest point on its way up
to me means the angle between the negative vertical axis (the ##\ -\bf \hat\jmath\ ## direction) is 36.9° .
So the complement of the angle you draw.

So i should break centripetal acc into components or somthn like that

Sort of. You know the ball describes a circular trajectory. There is an equation needed to link acceleration and speed. At the moment we don't have any relevant equations at all. I hope by now ee do agree that only two forces work on the ball. And we know the resultant acceleration. To link ##\vec T + m\vec g## to the given resultant acceleration we also need a relevant equation.
Set up a plan of approach and carry it out !

Break mg into components and then t-mgcos@ = mv2/r and the other component is responsible for tangential accleration so mgsin@ = ma
gsin@ = a

Good plan? Does it work and give you the desired answers ? I doubt it.

However, the ##|\vec F_{\rm centripetal} | = {mv^2\over r}\ ## is an essential equation indeed!

I see two different unknown a with the same symbol. Recipe for disaster :smile:.

And I don't see the known ##\ \vec a = -22.5 \hat\imath + 20.2 \hat\jmath\ ## in your plan ?

Fortunately you didn't start carrying out the plan yet :mad:.

For your next post I hope to see a plan + execution :rolleyes: (or at least attempt at ..)

But: we're getting under way !

ac = v2/r

Mgcos@ = Mac
gcos@ = ac
ac = 7.84m.s2

ac = v2/r
V = sqrt(ac.r)
V = 3.43 m-s1

Ab17 said:
ac = v2/r
You mean ac = v2/r
Ab17 said:
##g\cos\alpha= a_c##
##a_c = ## 7.84 m.s2
So T is not contributing and we can forget the given ##
\ \vec a = -22.5 \hat\imath + 20.2 \hat\jmath\
## ?
Furthermore it is m/s2, not m.s2
For your next post I hope to see a plan + execution :rolleyes: (or at least attempt at ..)
Perhaps try to keep them separate.

Related to Ball rotated on a string vector diagram

1. How do I interpret a ball rotated on a string vector diagram?

Interpreting a ball rotated on a string vector diagram requires understanding the different components of the diagram. The ball represents the object in motion, the string represents the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the object, and the arrows represent the direction and magnitude of the velocity and acceleration of the object. By analyzing the length and direction of the arrows, you can determine the speed, direction, and acceleration of the object.

2. What does the length of the string in a ball rotated on a string vector diagram represent?

The length of the string in a ball rotated on a string vector diagram represents the magnitude of the force acting on the object. The longer the string, the greater the force acting on the object. This force can be caused by various factors such as gravity, tension, or friction.

3. How does the velocity of the ball change in a ball rotated on a string vector diagram?

In a ball rotated on a string vector diagram, the velocity of the ball changes as the direction of the string changes. As the string pulls the ball in a circular motion, the velocity of the ball changes direction continuously. This change in velocity is represented by the arrows in the diagram.

4. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in a ball rotated on a string vector diagram?

Velocity and acceleration both represent the motion of the ball in a ball rotated on a string vector diagram. However, velocity refers to the speed and direction of the object, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly the velocity of the ball changes.

5. Can a ball rotated on a string vector diagram be used to analyze any type of motion?

No, a ball rotated on a string vector diagram is specifically designed to analyze circular motion. It may not be suitable for analyzing other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion. In these cases, a different type of vector diagram may be more appropriate.