Centripetal Force and Work: Understanding the Relationship

In summary, the ball swings around a circle at a constant speed. The centripetal force does work as the ball swings around the circle. This work is equivalent to 40 Newtons.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

A 5kg ball is swung in a circle of radius .5 meters at a constant speed of 2 meters per second, how much work does the centripetal force do as the ball does once in a circle?If the ball were pushed the same distance as the circumference of the circle with a force equivalent to the centripetal force but in a straight line on a friction-less surface, what is the work this force would do? Explain why the answers are different. (Hint: They are, review the definition of work)

Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked through all of the slides and notes that the professor posted, as well as my own notes, but I couldn't find anything relating to this style of problem. There were many equations talking about Omega and all sorts of different ways to solve similar problems, but I could not figure out how to translate it. Could anybody give me a hand with this problem? Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry about the way the problem is worded. I just typed it in, word for word as my professor has it on our homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer the straight line case first. You should be able to do that and it will help with the circular case.

You should also review the definition of work. Its not just "force times distance", there is a bit more to it and that's important for this problem.

Likes EthanVandals
CWatters said:
You should also review the definition of work. Its not just "force times distance", there is a bit more to it and that's important for this problem.
Ah, I see. I found the equation for Centripetal Force (mv^2)/r, and I found that the Centripetal Force (and therefore the force that would be pushing the ball in a straight line in) is equivalent to about 40 Newtons. Applying that to the frictionless surface, using the same formula would give me the same answer. The work done by both would be 40pi Joules. Looking at the definition of work, it appears that Displacement would need to occur for there to be ANY work done at all. Therefore, since the ball on the string returned to its starting point, it could be said that no work was done at all. Is this correct? Thanks!

It's not because it returns to the starting position. The work would still be zero if it only moved say quarter of a revolution. There is another reason.

CWatters said:
It's not because it returns to the starting position. The work would still be zero if it only moved say quarter of a revolution. There is another reason.
Oh, is it because the force itself isn't causing the displacement? Since the force is the tension pulling towards the center, but the movement is in another direction? Other than that, I can't really think of what it could be...My apologies, I'm not very good at physics.

EthanVandals said:
is it because the force itself isn't causing the displacement?
Yes. Vectorially, ##W=\int \vec F.\vec{ds}##, where the . denotes dot product. So it is only the displacement in the direction of the force that matters. (Or, equivalently, use the whole displacement but only the component of the force in that direction.)

Likes CWatters
EthanVandals said:
Since the force is the tension pulling towards the center, but the movement is in another direction?

Specifically the force and displacement are orthogonal (at right angles to each other). So the component of force in the direction of the displacement is zero.

Likes EthanVandals
CWatters said:
Specifically the force and displacement are orthogonal (at right angles to each other). So the component of force in the direction of the displacement is zero.
Awesome, I was hoping that was what it was. Thank you so much for the help!

Related to Centripetal Force and Work: Understanding the Relationship

1. How does a ball spin on a string?

The ball spins on the string due to the conservation of angular momentum. When the string is pulled, the ball's angular momentum increases, causing it to spin. As long as the string remains taut, the ball will continue to spin.

2. What factors affect the speed of the ball's spin?

The speed of the ball's spin is affected by the length and tension of the string, as well as the force applied to the string. A longer string or a higher tension will result in a faster spin, while a shorter string or a lower tension will result in a slower spin.

3. Why does the ball sometimes spin faster and slower on the string?

The speed of the ball's spin can vary due to external factors such as air resistance and friction. If the ball encounters more air resistance, it will slow down, and if it encounters less air resistance, it will speed up. Additionally, if the string is not perfectly taut, the ball's spin may fluctuate.

4. Can the direction of the ball's spin be changed?

Yes, the direction of the ball's spin can be changed by changing the direction of the force applied to the string. For example, if the string is pulled to the left, the ball will spin counterclockwise, but if the string is pulled to the right, the ball will spin clockwise.

5. How does gravity affect the ball spinning on the string?

Gravity has a minimal effect on the ball spinning on the string. As long as the string remains taut, the ball will continue to spin at a constant speed regardless of the force of gravity. However, if the string becomes slack, the ball may fall due to the force of gravity.