Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality Proof | MathWorld Demonstration and Solution

In summary, the conversation is about the Cauchy-Schwarz's inequality proof and how to reach the final step. The attempt at a solution includes using the properties of Hermitian inner product and realizing that f and g are not real valued functions, leading to the conclusion that \langle f, \bar f\rangle= |f|^2 and \langle g, \bar g\rangle= |g|^2. The conversation ends with a question about how to prove these properties for any inner product.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm trying to follow the demonstration of the Cauchy-Schwarz's inequality proof given in http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SchwarzsInequality.html.
I am stuck at the last step, namely that [itex]\langle \bar g , f \rangle \langle f , \bar g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow |\langle f , g \rangle |^2 \leq \langle f , f \rangle \langle g , g \rangle[/itex].

Homework Equations

I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\langle \bar g , f \rangle \langle f , \bar g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow \langle \bar f , g \rangle \langle \bar f , g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle[/itex]. I'm stuck here.
I know that [itex]||f||=\sqrt {\langle f , f \rangle}[/itex] but I don't even know if I can use this fact. Any tip is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've made some progress I think.
Mathworld didn't specify it explicitely but I think that f and g are real functions.
So that I reach [itex]\langle \bar g , f \rangle \langle f , \bar g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow \langle \bar f , g \rangle \langle \bar f , g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow \langle f , g \rangle ^2 \leq \langle f , f \rangle \langle g , g \rangle[/itex]. So I "almost" reach the proof. I have a missing absolute value though. Any idea why?

Ok I got it wrong, f and g aren't real valued function because lambda (which is complex) is defined by some inner products involving f and g and their complex conjugate only.
If someone could tell me how to understand the last step I'd be grateful.

fluidistic said:
I've made some progress I think.
Mathworld didn't specify it explicitely but I think that f and g are real functions.
So that I reach [itex]\langle \bar g , f \rangle \langle f , \bar g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow \langle \bar f , g \rangle \langle \bar f , g \rangle \leq \langle \bar f , f \rangle \langle \bar g , g \rangle \Rightarrow \langle f , g \rangle ^2[/itex]
This is incorrect. [itex]\langle f, g\rangle^2[/itex] is a complex number. You want [itex]\left|\langle f, g\rangle\right|^2[/itex].

[itex] \leq \langle f , f \rangle \langle g , g \rangle[/itex]. So I "almost" reach the proof. I have a missing absolute value though. Any idea why?
Again, those are wrong. You want [itex]\langle f, \bar f\rangle= |f|^2[/itex] and [itex]\langle g, \bar g\rangle= |g|^2[/itex].

Thanks HallsofIvy!
HallsofIvy said:
This is incorrect. [itex]\langle f, g\rangle^2[/itex] is a complex number. You want [itex]\left|\langle f, g\rangle\right|^2[/itex].
Yeah you are right, I realized this in my previous post.

You want [itex]\langle f, \bar f\rangle= |f|^2[/itex] and [itex]\langle g, \bar g\rangle= |g|^2[/itex].
Ok... How do I prove these, for any inner product? I'm looking at the properties of Hermitian inner product given there: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HermitianInnerProduct.html but I've no clue how to relate it with the [itex]|.|^2[/itex] (same as norm squared?)

Related to Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality Proof | MathWorld Demonstration and Solution

1. What is Cauchy Schwarz's proof?

Cauchy Schwarz's proof, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical proof that states that for any two vectors in an inner product space, the dot product of the two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This proof is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Hermann Amandus Schwarz.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy Schwarz's proof?

Cauchy Schwarz's proof is significant because it provides a mathematical basis for understanding the relationship between the lengths and angles of vectors in an inner product space. It also has many applications in various fields, including geometry, statistics, and physics.

3. How is Cauchy Schwarz's proof used in real-world problems?

Cauchy Schwarz's proof is used in real-world problems to determine the maximum or minimum value of a particular quantity, subject to certain constraints. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the best solution among a set of possible solutions.

4. What are the key steps in Cauchy Schwarz's proof?

The key steps in Cauchy Schwarz's proof involve using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to show that the dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This is achieved by using algebraic manipulation and the properties of inner products, such as linearity and positivity.

5. Are there any limitations to Cauchy Schwarz's proof?

While Cauchy Schwarz's proof is a powerful tool in mathematics, it does have some limitations. It only applies to inner product spaces, which means it cannot be used for vector spaces that do not have an inner product defined. Additionally, it is only applicable for finite-dimensional spaces, so it cannot be extended to infinite-dimensional spaces.