Can This ODE Solution f'(x)=f(2-x) Be Correctly Solved?

• B
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Short
In summary, the problem involves finding f given the equation f'(x) = f(2-x). The work done involves making a substitution x -> 2-x and solving for the general solution f(x) = c1e^x + c2e^-x. However, there are three problems with the work: 1) inconsistent use of the substitution, 2) incorrect general solution, and 3) lack of initial conditions to solve for the constants c1 and c2.
Silviu
Hello! I have this problem f'(x)=f(2-x) and I need to find f. This is what I did
x -> 2-x
f'(2-x)=f(2-2+x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f'(2-x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f(x) => ##f(x)=c_1e^x+c_2e^{-1}##.

So, ##c_1e^x-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^{2-x}+c_2e^{x-2}## => ##-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^2e^{-x}## => ##-c_2=c_1e^2##. And, similarly, ##c_1=c_2e^{-2}##. So ##-c_2=c_2e^2e^{-2}## => ##c_2=c_1=0## => f(x)=0.

Is this correct? There is another solution? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I have this problem f'(x)=f(2-x) and I need to find f. This is what I did
x -> 2-x
f'(2-x)=f(2-2+x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f'(2-x)=f(x) => f''(x)=f(x) => ##f(x)=c_1e^x+c_2e^{-1}##.
I see three problems.
1) You replaced x by 2 -x, but you aren't consistent with this change. If you make a substitution, use a variable with a different name.
2) From f''(x) = f(x) (which does not follow from the original diff. equation), the general solution should be ##f(x)=c_1e^x+c_2e^{-x}##, which is different from what you have.
3) In your work below, you solve for the coefficients c1 and c2. Since there are no initial conditions given, there's no way to solve for these constants.
Silviu said:
So, ##c_1e^x-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^{2-x}+c_2e^{x-2}## => ##-c_2e^{-x}=c_1e^2e^{-x}## => ##-c_2=c_1e^2##. And, similarly, ##c_1=c_2e^{-2}##. So ##-c_2=c_2e^2e^{-2}## => ##c_2=c_1=0## => f(x)=0.

Is this correct? There is another solution? Thank you!

Related to Can This ODE Solution f'(x)=f(2-x) Be Correctly Solved?

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model systems that change over time, such as motion, growth, or decay.

2. What is a solved ODE problem?

A solved ODE problem is when the equation has been solved for the function. This means that the function has been found in terms of the independent variable, and the equation is no longer in its differential form.

3. How do you check if an ODE problem has been solved correctly?

To check if an ODE problem has been solved correctly, you can substitute the function and its derivatives back into the original equation. If the equation is satisfied, then the solution is correct.

4. What are some common methods for solving ODE problems?

Some common methods for solving ODE problems include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods such as power series and Laplace transforms can also be used for more complex ODEs.

5. Can an ODE problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an ODE problem can have multiple solutions. This is known as the general solution, as it includes all possible solutions to the equation. However, a specific solution can be found by applying initial or boundary conditions to the general solution.