Help with ODE initial conditions

In summary, the given ODE has a general solution of $y(x)=c_1e^{-6x}+c_2e^{2x}$, with the initial conditions y(0)=1, y(1)=2 resulting in the specific solution $y(x)=\frac{e^6\left(e^2-1\right)}{e^8+3}e^{-6x}+\frac{e^6+3}{e^8+3}e^{2x}$. A mistake was made in solving for the parameters, but it has been corrected.
ognik
The ODE is $y'' + 4y' - 12y = 0$, I get $y = C_1e^{-6x} + C_2e^{2} $

The initial conditions are y(0) = 1, y(1)=2 - which gives me $C_1 = 1-C_2$ and $C_2 = \frac{2e^{6}-1}{e^{8}-1} $

This just looks more messy than book exercises normally are, and when I laboriously substitute back into the eqtn it doesn't resolve - so I think I have something wrong in my sltn, but just can't see it, could someone see what is wrong with my sltn please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2+4r-12=(r+6)(r-2)=0\)

Hence, the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=c_1e^{-6x}+c_2e^{2x}\)

And we may compute:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=-6c_1e^{-6x}+2c_2e^{2x}\)

Thus, the initial conditions result in the linear system:

\(\displaystyle c_1+c_2=1\)

\(\displaystyle -3c_1e^{-6}+c_2e^{2}=1\)

Solving this system, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{e^6\left(e^2-1\right)}{e^8+3},\,c_2=\frac{e^6+3}{e^8+3}\)

And thus the particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\frac{e^6\left(e^2-1\right)}{e^8+3}e^{-6x}+\frac{e^6+3}{e^8+3}e^{2x}\)

It appears you made a mistake solving for the parameters. :)

got it, thanks

Related to Help with ODE initial conditions

What is an ODE initial condition?

An ODE initial condition is a specific value or set of values that are used to determine the solution of an ordinary differential equation (ODE). It is the starting point for solving an ODE and is usually given in the form of an initial value problem.

How do I choose appropriate initial conditions for solving an ODE?

Choosing appropriate initial conditions for an ODE requires understanding the physical or mathematical context of the problem. In most cases, the initial conditions are given as known values or can be derived from the problem statement. It is important to ensure that the initial conditions are consistent with the problem and do not result in a solution that violates any physical or mathematical constraints.

What happens if the initial conditions are not specified for an ODE?

If the initial conditions are not specified for an ODE, the solution will have an arbitrary constant or constants, making it a general solution. This means that the solution will not be unique and will require additional information, such as boundary conditions, to determine the specific solution.

Can I change the initial conditions after solving an ODE?

Yes, it is possible to change the initial conditions after solving an ODE. However, this may result in a different solution or no solution at all, depending on the complexity of the ODE and the new initial conditions. It is important to carefully consider the implications of changing the initial conditions and ensure that they are consistent with the problem.

Are there any software tools available to help with solving ODE initial conditions?

Yes, there are many software tools available that can help with solving ODE initial conditions. These include mathematical software packages, such as MATLAB or Mathematica, as well as online ODE solvers. It is important to choose a tool that is appropriate for the complexity of the ODE and provides accurate and reliable solutions.