Can stylus be used on any smartphone?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smartphone
In summary: I was wondering if a phone like my simple Samsung Galaxy On7, Android 6.0.1, could support a stylus. I couldn't find any information on the internet to help me decide. Then one of my relatives was asking me too, and I couldn't give her a definitive answer. Can any phone support a stylus, or are there special requirements for using a stylus on a phone? There are a couple of stylii on the market that should work on almost any phone, but it's always best to check with the app, phone, or stylus vendor to see what they say.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a simple Samsung Galaxy On7, Android 6.0.1. I was checking on the net if my phone can support a stylus, but didn't find any material. One of my relatives was asking me too (she has a Lenovo phone, which doesn't come with a stylus), but I couldn't give a satisfactory answer.

Can any phone support a stylus? Or are there special screen requirements which forbids ordinary phones from letting the user use a stylus?

N.B.: From the word "ordinary", I mean those smartphones (of any make) that do not come with a stylus.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know what On7 means. But here is a case and stylus for a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone.

There are a couple of phone/pad stylii on the market. The passive ones with a conductive rubber tip should work on all capacitive screens ie all phone screens and nearly all tablet screens. There were some old ereaders that used resistive technology in the early day because it was cheaper than capacitive screens.

The Apple pencil is an example that uses a combination of touch and bluetooth. It works on ipad pros but not on iphone 6 as an example so you'd need to check if your phone/tablet device supports it or not. Apple pencil doesn't work with android as far as I know.

Bamboo also has a line of stylii that use a similar scheme as the Apple pencil but don't have the full capabilities of the pencil namely its pressure sensitivity. These stylii are more responsive than the passive ones with the conductive rubber tip but fall short compared to the pencil. Again you need to check if the particular stylus supports your device.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=wacom+bamboo+stylus+pen

Some ipad apps like Paper-by-53 supported the 53 pencil but its app specific.

Its always best to check with the app, phone or stylus vendor to see what they say. The stylus vendor would most likely be the best one to check because they want to sell you a stylus.

Likes Wrichik Basu
anorlunda said:
I don't know what On7 means. But here is a case and stylus for a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone.
Here's is a link to the On7 specs.

It's a much less costly phone than S7.

Related to Can stylus be used on any smartphone?

1. Can any stylus be used on any smartphone?

No, not all styluses are compatible with all smartphones. Some styluses are specifically designed for certain models or brands of smartphones, while others may be more universal. It is important to check the compatibility before purchasing a stylus for your smartphone.

2. Do all smartphones have stylus support?

No, not all smartphones have stylus support. Some smartphones, particularly older models, do not have the necessary hardware or software to support the use of a stylus. It is important to check the specifications of your smartphone to see if it has stylus support.

3. Can a stylus damage my smartphone's screen?

In general, using a stylus should not damage your smartphone's screen if it is used properly. However, if the stylus has a sharp or hard tip, it may cause scratches or damage to the screen over time. It is recommended to use a stylus with a soft and rounded tip to prevent any potential damage.

4. Are there different types of styluses for different smartphone screens?

Yes, there are different types of styluses for different smartphone screens. Some styluses are specifically designed for capacitive touchscreens, while others are designed for resistive touchscreens. It is important to check the type of touchscreen your smartphone has before purchasing a stylus.

5. Can I use a stylus to replace my finger for all functions on my smartphone?

No, a stylus cannot replace your finger for all functions on your smartphone. While a stylus can be used for tasks like drawing and writing, it may not be as effective for tasks that require gestures or swiping. Additionally, some apps may not have stylus support, so it is important to check before using a stylus for a specific function.