Phone Frequency Range: Can Smartphones Emit Below 15Hz?

In summary: I was looking for. I was looking for a way to improve my learning abilities.In summary, you cannot produce sound below 20Hz with most speakers in a phone. There are special speakers of phones that are capable of producing such infrasounds, but they are not common.
NaukowiecGirl
Hello guys!

I have become a little curious, but what is the sound frequency range of which a phone can emit (from a speaker)? Can a smartphone, like a Samsung Galaxy, emit anything below 15Hz? My main concern is that I hope my phone can emit 7.83Hz but I am a little unsure if my phone is able to do so.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Note sure. I know they have apps that allow you to set your phone to emit a single tone, but I don't know how accurately those apps and your phone create the tone. Note that it is probably very difficult for your phone's speaker to produce very low frequencies, as the size of the speaker is much, much less than the wavelength of the sound waves at those frequencies.

Likes NaukowiecGirl
Ohhh ok. Yeah, it is quite difficult to find out. Thankyou for your reply!

NaukowiecGirl said:
Can a smartphone, like a Samsung Galaxy, emit anything below 15Hz?
IIRC 15Hz is in the range of the deepest bass notes produced by a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Reproducing such notes in a home music system requires a dedicated subwoofer. A comparatively tiny smartphone might produce a tiny output at such frequencies, but whether it would be audible is another matter.

Likes NaukowiecGirl
Understandable. So you are saying that most speakers, whether they be in phones or home audio systems, cannot produce sounds below 20Hz or so. Are there any special speakers of phones that are capable of producing such infrasounds? My real intention to asking this is that I heard about the Schumann Resonance which is 7.83Hz and I have been 'listening' to audio tracks for health purposes. Now, of course, I cannot actually hear that because it is out of the human range, but would the speaker on my phone even produce such a sound?

NaukowiecGirl said:
My real intention to asking this is that I heard about the Schumann Resonance which is 7.83Hz and I have been 'listening' to audio tracks for health purposes.

I'm sorry to tell you that you've most likely wasted your time. The Schumann Resonances are electromagnetic resonances in the atmosphere and have little-to-nothing to do with sound. They certainly don't affect your health.

NaukowiecGirl said:
Now, of course, I cannot actually hear that because it is out of the human range, but would the speaker on my phone even produce such a sound?

It should produce it, but the amplitude will be so low that, even if it did have some health effects, it won't matter.

NaukowiecGirl said:
Understandable. So you are saying that most speakers, whether they be in phones or home audio systems, cannot produce sounds below 20Hz or so. Are there any special speakers of phones that are capable of producing such infrasounds? My real intention to asking this is that I heard about the Schumann Resonance which is 7.83Hz and I have been 'listening' to audio tracks for health purposes. Now, of course, I cannot actually hear that because it is out of the human range, but would the speaker on my phone even produce such a sound?
7.83Hz - if you put a sine wave of that frequency on a loudspeaker you can see the membrane moving, but you won't hear anything. If you use a square wave, you will hear something, but that is just the overtones. Your mobile phone - using your hand, you can shake it with a 7.83Hz frequency.

You can, however use binaural beats to simulate the frequency through sound.
Also, there are electromagnetic devices available that produce low-frequency waves, which your brainwaves attune to.
In this way, you can sync up with the frequency if you like. 7,83 Hz is a high theta, low alpha brainwave, which is quite a relaxed wave in which you can easily absorb information.

Marleen Renders said:
Also, there are electromagnetic devices available that produce low-frequency waves, which your brainwaves attune to.
In this way, you can sync up with the frequency if you like. 7,83 Hz is a high theta, low alpha brainwave, which is quite a relaxed wave in which you can easily absorb information.

I don't think this is correct. To the best of my knowledge there is no clear, reputable evidence supporting the idea that low frequency waves of any type will help you learn more easily. If you have a reputable source (emphasis on reputable, see PF Terms and Rules), please send me a private message and we can discuss it. Otherwise please do not bring this topic up again.

Drakkith said:
I don't think this is correct. To the best of my knowledge there is no clear, reputable evidence supporting the idea that low frequency waves of any type will help you learn more easily. If you have a reputable source (emphasis on reputable, see PF Terms and Rules), please send me a private message and we can discuss it. Otherwise please do not bring this topic up again.

Thank you Drakkith, that's good to know :-)

Related to Phone Frequency Range: Can Smartphones Emit Below 15Hz?

1. What is the significance of the 15Hz frequency limit for smartphones?

The 15Hz frequency limit is important because it falls within the range of human hearing, which is typically between 20Hz to 20kHz. Frequencies below 15Hz are considered infrasonic and cannot be heard by humans.

2. Can smartphones really emit frequencies below 15Hz?

Yes, smartphones can emit frequencies below 15Hz. However, these frequencies are typically used for functions such as vibration alerts or haptic feedback, rather than for audio or communication purposes.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to frequencies below 15Hz from smartphones?

There is currently no scientific evidence that exposure to frequencies below 15Hz from smartphones has any negative health effects. These frequencies are considered non-ionizing, which means they do not have enough energy to cause harm to human cells.

4. Are there any regulations in place to limit the emission of frequencies below 15Hz from smartphones?

Yes, most countries have regulations in place to limit the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted by smartphones, including frequencies below 15Hz. These regulations are based on established safety standards and are regularly monitored and enforced.

5. How can I reduce my exposure to frequencies below 15Hz from my smartphone?

To reduce your exposure to frequencies below 15Hz from your smartphone, you can limit your use of vibration alerts and haptic feedback, or switch to a phone with lower emission levels. You can also keep your phone at a safe distance from your body, by using a headset or speakerphone instead of holding it to your ear.