Delete system files from Android phone

In summary: There is no need to backup the system file because it can't be restored. Deleting the system file will remove all the user data and settings.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a Samsung Galaxy on7, running on Android 6.0.1.

It has a lot of pre installed apps that I consider bloatware. I want to remove them completely from the phone.

Recently, I tried removing these apps as per this video:

But soon I found that it does not delete the system files, because that is not possible without root.

I also found that I can root my phone using adb. The procedure (on a different phone, though) is here:

After rooting and installing twrp and magisk, I want to delete the system files from adb using the following command (say, to remove google photos):

Code:
adb shell rm -f /system/app/Photos/Photos.apk

Two questions on this:

1. Is this possible to be safely done on my device? Any precautions?

2. Is there any way to backup the system file before deleting it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
I want to remove them completely from the phone.
The method mentioned in the video won't remove it completely from the phone. It just hides it from the current user, he mentioned it at 1:27

Young physicist said:
The method mentioned in the video won't remove it completely from the phone. It just hides it from the current user, he mentioned it at 1:27
That's why I wrote this soon after the video:
Wrichik Basu said:
But soon I found that it does not delete the system files, because that is not possible without root.

Are the factory issued apps stored in ROM or Fash?

CWatters said:
I am not sure, but I don't think so. Usually ROMs and Flashs on mobile phones only store BIOS or bootloaders.

CWatters said:
I asked because the 2nd reply here suggests they are possibly in ROM...

https://www.quora.com/Are-apps-installed-and-stored-on-RAM-or-ROM-on-Android-phones
He mentioned EEPROM, a thing that I only heard before but not fully understand. But if my knowledge isn't outdated (my physics ones have this serious problem),then chances of rewriting it will be possible but really unlikely, since eeprom also has a write/erase time limit. That is a point from hardwares, I am not sure if softwares can bypass that.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
They are stored inthe /system directory, and after rooting, you can gain access to files in that directory.
CWatters said:
I asked because the 2nd reply here suggests they are possibly in ROM...

https://www.quora.com/Are-apps-installed-and-stored-on-RAM-or-ROM-on-Android-phones
The replies mention that apps are stored in ROM. Flash is actually the recovery part. All the OS files are always stored in ROM, which is the /system directory.

Wrichik Basu said:
They are stored inthe /system directory, and after rooting, you can gain access to files in that directory.
@Wrichik Basu the concept of storing in ROM or Flash is a hardware approach of where the factory issued apps are. /system on the other hand is a software approach. They are both correct.

Young physicist said:
@Wrichik Basu the concept of storing in ROM or Flash is a hardware approach of where the factory issued apps are. /System on the other hand is a software approach.
I am talking about factory issued apps. That's what is called "bloatware". If you have access to an Android phone, download an app called "App Inspector" from the play store. It will show you the directory for every app, even system apps. There, you can see that these are all installed in /system directory. For example, for Google photos,

Screenshot_20180828-185154.png

Both the source and data have to be cleared through adb for a complete removal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180828-185154.png
    Screenshot_20180828-185154.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,913
Wrichik Basu said:
I am talking about factory issued apps. That's what is called "bloatware". If you have access to an Android phone, download an app called "App Inspector" from the play store. It will show you the directory for every app, even system apps. There, you can see that these are all installed in /system directory. For example, for Google photos,

View attachment 229929

Both the source and data have to be cleared through adb for a complete removal.
Code:
I am aware of that. There isn't seem to be a problem for you to connect your phone to the computer and delete them via this command.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Young physicist said:
Code:
I am aware of that. There isn't seem to be a problem for you to connect your phone to the computer and delete them via this command.
That's what I wanted to know.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's what I wanted to know.
Just make sure that you type the command right and don’t accidentally delete other stuff:wink:

Young physicist said:
Just make sure that you type the command right and don’t accidentally delete other stuff:wink:
That's why I posted the second question:

Wrichik Basu said:
2. Is there any way to backup the system file before deleting it?

Wrichik Basu said:
That's why I posted the second question:
I am not sure, but backing up your entire phone(i.e, back up the normal way) should back up the system files as well.

Young physicist said:
I am not sure, but backing up your entire phone(i.e, back up the normal way) should back up the system files as well.
No, it doesn't.

There are two commands of adb that can handle files in this way: push and pull. Not sure whether they can copy system files after rooting the phone.

What are system files on an Android phone?

System files on an Android phone are essential components of the operating system that allow the device to function properly. They are responsible for managing hardware, running apps, and storing important data.

Why would someone want to delete system files from their Android phone?

There are several reasons why someone might want to delete system files from their Android phone. One common reason is to free up storage space on the device. Another reason is to remove unnecessary or unwanted apps that are pre-installed by the manufacturer.

Is it safe to delete system files from an Android phone?

No, it is not safe to delete system files from an Android phone unless you are an advanced user and know exactly what you are doing. Deleting the wrong system files can cause the device to malfunction or even become unusable. It is recommended to only delete system files if you have a thorough understanding of the Android operating system.

How can someone delete system files from their Android phone?

The process of deleting system files from an Android phone can vary depending on the device and the specific files being deleted. In general, it involves using a file manager app or connecting the device to a computer and using specialized software. It is important to research and follow specific instructions for your device to avoid any potential issues.

Can deleted system files be recovered on an Android phone?

In most cases, deleted system files cannot be recovered on an Android phone. However, it is always recommended to back up important data and files before deleting anything from the device to avoid any potential loss of data. It is also important to note that some deleted system files may be automatically restored during a system update or factory reset.