Can Single, Double, and Triple Integrals Vary in Variable Count?

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: I think you mean ##\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2}~dydx##, which gives the square of that integral, and which is usually evaluated by changing to polar coordinates.I think that's what I meant also :-pDo you understand that \int_a^b \int_c^d f(x,y,z) dxdy would be a function of z?yeah if you were to integrate a 3rd time it would be wrt z I suppose.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Can a single integral be used to solve a multi-variable equation, and can a triple integral be used to find the area under an y = f(x) curve?

What I'm getting at is whether or not single, double and triple integrals must be integrated with respect to their corresponding number of variables. My textbook shows single ##\int f(x) dx ##, double ##\int \int f(x,y) dy dx ## and triple ## \int \int \int f(x, y, z) dy dx dz ## but it never shows ##\int f(x,y)## nor ## \int \int \int f(x, y) dy dx dz ##

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't exactly a homework question, but I just want to understand the concept of integrals better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Can a single integral be used to solve a multi-variable equation
"Solve" and "equation" aren't the right words here - you don't "solve" an integral, you evaluate it. And in place of "equation", "function" would be an appropriate choice. When you evaluate an iterated integral, in the inner integrations you are integrating a multi-variable function along one axis to, eventually, get down to an expression in one variable that you can integrate.
Calpalned said:
, and can a triple integral be used to find the area under an y = f(x) curve?
I suspose you could, but it seems like a wasted effort. You can use a double integral to find the area under a curve, y = f(x). For example, these two integrals produce the same value:
$$\int_0^1 x^2 dx$$
and
$$\int_0^1 \int_{y = 0}^{x^2}~1~dy~dx$$

You could turn this into a triple integral to get a volume that is numerically equal to the area of the preceding integrals.
Calpalned said:
What I'm getting at is whether or not single, double and triple integrals must be integrated with respect to their corresponding number of variables. My textbook shows single ##\int f(x) dx ##, double ##\int \int f(x,y) dy dx ## and triple ## \int \int \int f(x, y, z) dy dx dz ## but it never shows ##\int f(x,y)## nor ## \int \int \int f(x, y) dy dx dz ##

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't exactly a homework question, but I just want to understand the concept of integrals better.

Likes jbstemp and Calpalned
Mark44 said:
" in place of "equation", "function" would be an appropriate choice

Is this the difference between a function and an equation:
equation ## 10 = 5 + x ## and ## 22 = x^2 + xy + z ##
function ##f(x) = 5+ x ## and ## f(x, y, z) = x^2 + xy + z ##

Calpalned said:
Is this the difference between a function and an equation:
equation ## 10 = 5 + x ## and ## 22 = x^2 + xy + z ##
function ##f(x) = 5+ x ## and ## f(x, y, z) = x^2 + xy + z ##
More or less, as far a functions are concerned. In your first function example f maps a number x in its domain to a number 5 + x in its range. f(x) represents the "output" value for an input x value.

In your second function example, f maps an ordered triple (x, y, z) in R3 to the real number x2 + xy + z.

I think technically you could evaluate those types of integrals, but you won't really get any thing with meaningful results.

The single integral ##\int^{\infty}_{0}e^{-x^{2}}dx## can't be evaluated by finding an antiderivative but can still be worked out by introducing a second integral ##\int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}e^{-x^{2}}\,dy\,dx## I guess it still isn't quite the same thing as working out the single integral because you get a different answer. I'm just trying to think of an integral analogy with something I saw in concrete mathematics for doing finite sums.

fourier jr said:
The single integral ##\int^{\infty}_{0}e^{-x^{2}}dx## can't be evaluated by finding an antiderivative but can still be worked out by introducing a second integral ##\int^{\infty}_{0}\int^{x}_{0}e^{-x^{2}}\,dy\,dx## I guess it still isn't quite the same thing as working out the single integral because you get a different answer. I'm just trying to think of an integral analogy with something I saw in concrete mathematics for doing finite sums.

I think you mean ##\int_0^\infty\int_0^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2}~dydx##, which gives the square of that integral, and which is usually evaluated by changing to polar coordinates.

I think that's what I meant also :-p

Do you understand that [itex]\int_a^b \int_c^d f(x,y,z) dxdy[/itex] would be a function of z?

yeah if you were to integrate a 3rd time it would be wrt z I suppose.

Related to Can Single, Double, and Triple Integrals Vary in Variable Count?

1. What is the purpose of integrals?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the total value or area under a curve. They are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to solve problems that involve continuous quantities.

2. How do you solve integrals?

To solve an integral, you must first determine the function or curve that you want to find the area under. This is known as the integrand. Then, you must find the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points of the curve. Finally, you can use various techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve the integral and find the area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specified limits of integration, meaning that it calculates the area under a curve between two points. This results in a single numerical value. An indefinite integral, on the other hand, does not have specified limits and results in a function that can be evaluated at different points.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, determining the work done by a force, finding the volume of irregularly-shaped objects, and predicting population growth in economics.

5. Can you use integrals to solve differential equations?

Yes, integrals are closely related to differential equations. In fact, many differential equations can be solved by using integrals. This is known as the method of integration, and it is a powerful tool in solving complex problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.