Can Self-Learning Lead to Success in Physics?

• Thread starter vinci
  • Start date
vinci
I really have nothing much to introduce myself with, I don't think I've accomplished anything worth mentioning so far. A 19 YO high school failure and a self learned web developer(actually started with c++ but meh). I have worked as a ghost writer for some least visited blogs, and freelanced as a web developer and writer on UpWork.

What brings me to PF? Let me see. I'm a polymath. I love science and that's the simplest way to say it. I've been an exceptionally bright student till 10th Grade when I finally gave up on schools-Long story short, bad teachers, they never answered questions when I asked them in maths class. I was left neglected and curious but yes the burden is still on my shoulder. I take responsibility of my faults. Being bad at maths had me lacking behind in Physics too and so I left HSC once and for all after failing three years. Meanwhile I learned a variety of programming languages and played around with electronics, everything was going pretty fine. I loved reading some of the books by hawkings but when I got to other authors the mathematical equations started bugging me. I realized I didn't know the fundamental things about high-school physics like centrifugal and centripetal forces or the kinematics and it would only so far that I could go with only my fascination with Science. I needed foundation there. Dishearted by that, I tried getting into game development, there I was developing lame 2d tiled games with Allegro when it dawned on me how I couldn't solve so many of the problems there. The mathematics haunted me every frigging where, even studying algorithms in programming.

So here I stand, a 19 year old HSC failure, with my life wrecked, there can be no greater agony when you've dreamt of doing great things but you end up being a total loser. With most my friends already doing their undergraduate and me still an HSC failure; I decide this is not how my story will end. It is a matter of self respect, a matter of ego now. After disappointing the hands that fed me(my parents), my friends, my lover(she left me recently telling me how she can never tell her family about me because I'm a loser who is stuck in HSC for three straight years); After disappointing everybody and specially myself I've finally decided to start back from exactly where I had left. I am going to give my A levels(GCSE) accelerated this JUNE and I have tons and tons left to study. I look forward to ace them(yes, sounds too big of a dream but I am not giving up) and maybe maybe if things go alright I'll be in MIT someday.

I have no tutor available and self learning is all I've got. This got me joining forums like Physicsforums and MyMathForum. So that's pretty much all to it. A teenager mocked and beaten down by life who has decided to challenge life and turn his life upside down 180 degree. I've been looking at the GCSE course for a while and I hope it will be good learning with all you folks here.

Last edited:
Likes baldbrain, Thewindyfan and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF vinci! Your post would be easier to read if it wasn't a wall of text, try breaking your posts down into smaller, separated paragraphs. :smile:

Evo said:
Welcome to PF vinci! Your post would be easier to read if it wasn't a wall of text, try breaking your posts down into smaller, separated paragraphs. :smile:
There are four of them. Apologies, should've added line spaces too.

Likes berkeman
vinci said:
There are four of them. Apologies, should've added line spaces too.
You fixed it, great job!

Likes vinci
Wow, I hope we can help you to the best of our ability so that you can reach your goals. Stay determined!

Likes gracy