Can Non-Physicists Ask Math Questions on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter econmajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rules
In summary, non-physicists often turn to the popular online forum Physics Forums to ask math-related questions. While the forum is primarily focused on physics, many non-physicists feel comfortable seeking help with math problems from the knowledgeable community. This trend has sparked debates among forum members about whether or not these types of questions should be allowed on a physics forum. Some argue that it detracts from the forum's main purpose, while others see it as an opportunity to broaden the forum's scope and help non-physicists improve their math skills. Overall, the presence of non-physicists asking math questions on Physics Forums highlights the importance of creating inclusive and welcoming spaces for all levels of learners in the online community.
econmajor
Hi Physics Forum users.

I am new here and I want to use the Mathematics part of this forum. But I am not a physicist but an economist. My questions will NOT Economics related but pure mathematical and statistical. Is it OK for me to be here then and ask questions?

I am active in Math.StackExchange as well but I find this kind of forum better and I haven't found something similar to PF for mathematics.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Everyone is welcome to ask questions. In some forums, when creating a thread you can specify the level of answer you expect (high school, undergraduate, graduate).

Likes physics loverq and atyy
Your question looks fine. I'm not sure the Differential Equations forum is the best spot for it, but I'm not sure where would be the best place to move it.

econmajor said:
Actually this is more of a simulation question but since PF doesn't have Simulation category I ask here.
I need to simulate a path from a proces given by this Stochastic DE:
$$ dX_t = -a(X_t-1)dt+b\sqrt{X_t}dB_t $$ where ##B_t## is wiener process/brownian motion and a and b are just some constants. In order to design a simulation scheme to this process I need to find it's distribution. Please help me find the distribution. I don't know whether this is advanced or Intermediate?

I moved it to Stochastic, because it's more a matter of distributions than solving the differential equation. We can move it back, if there will be no answers, say in a week or so. Please contact me in this case.

Likes berkeman
Hello Again econmajor - it appears some of our mentors have a case of the Fridays!o0)