Can Being Odorless Lead to a Longer Life?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm
In summary, bacteria on your skin are beneficial and can actually improve your health. However, excessive cleanliness and the use of antibacterial substances can be harmful. Washing your hands is important in order to remove harmful bacteria, but overdoing it can also be detrimental. A study has shown that surgeons who do not shower before entering the operating room may actually have less harmful bacteria on their skin. However, the use of antibacterial substances is necessary in sterile environments such as hospitals. Cultivating bacteria is a common experiment in microbiology classes and can be done at home using a gelatin and bouillon solution. The purpose of washing hands is to remove harmful bacteria and other substances picked up during the day, while the bacteria living in our pores are part of our
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I know the smell is produced by bacteria, but will an odour less person live longer than a smelly one? the bacteria must rob some of the life force from a body?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacteria on your skin are good for you.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm

Includes the advice that surgeons shouldn't shower before entering an operating theatre because it leaves clouds of bad bacteria around their body

wolram said:
I know the smell is produced by bacteria, but will an odour less person live longer than a smelly one? the bacteria must rob some of the life force from a body?

Another key question concerning life, universe and everything? Although bacteria may drain the bowl of life force (or mana), I doubt that non-stinky persons are free of bacteria.

wolram said:

Yes. Married men live longer than unmarried men.

Actually, it depends. To a certain extent, cleanliness means less illness. Taken to the extreme, as in all the antibacterial stuff people buy for their houses nowadays, it becomes a little unhealthy, as in mgb_phy's post. (although I'm not sure about the surgeon, since presumably, he scrubs in a fairly sterile environment right before entering the operating room - there shouldn't be a lot of bacteria to replace what he's scrubbed off).

BobG said:
(although I'm not sure about the surgeon, since presumably, he scrubs in a fairly sterile environment right before entering the operating room - there shouldn't be a lot of bacteria to replace what he's scrubbed off).
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands. After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores. Surgeons use anti-bacterial substances to sterilize their hands during washing.

I don't recommend using anti-bacterial substances in everyday live, as the bacteria living on your skin in normal circumstances are non-pathogenic and can actually be beneficial.

Monique said:
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands.

I thought normal people don't do this kind of stuff but now could you tell us the proper way of cultivating bacteria?

Monique said:
After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores.

So what is the benefit of washing hands?

Monique said:
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands. After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores. Surgeons use anti-bacterial substances to sterilize their hands during washing.

I don't recommend using anti-bacterial substances in everyday live, as the bacteria living on your skin in normal circumstances are non-pathogenic and can actually be beneficial.

I did a test when i went to hospital, there were 2 nurses with a little stand in the lobby.
If i remember correctly, they gave me some jelly substance to rub on my hands, then they used a light to show the Bactria up, then they told me to go wash my hands which i did, (very thoroughly), they repeated the test and my hands were still lit up all over, so i had a lecture in hand washing, i walked away thinking that test was a load of cobblers, i work in the food industry, and we are shown how to wash our hands, there are even spot checks in the high care areas.

misgfool said:
I thought normal people don't do this kind of stuff but now could you tell us the proper way of cultivating bacteria?
I think this one of the first experiments you do when you take a microbiology class. You could try it at home by mixing gelatin with a bouillon cube, heat it to sterilize the solution, let it cool and make thumb imprints. Here is a recipe: http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00472.htm The bacteria will like to grow at 37oC, but you can also leave it at room temperature (in which case it will take two days for colonies to appear).

So what is the benefit of washing hands?
To wash off harmful bacteria that you picked up during the day (and other nasty stuff), the bacteria living in your pores are part of your natural flora.

wolram said:
I did a test when i went to hospital, there were 2 nurses with a little stand in the lobby.
If i remember correctly, they gave me some jelly substance to rub on my hands, then they used a light to show the Bactria up, then they told me to go wash my hands which i did, (very thoroughly), they repeated the test and my hands were still lit up all over, so i had a lecture in hand washing, i walked away thinking that test was a load of cobblers, i work in the food industry, and we are shown how to wash our hands, there are even spot checks in the high care areas.
I don't think it was the bacteria that lighting up, but rather the jelly that you rubbed on your hands (I've never heard of such a test).

Monique said:
I don't think it was the bacteria that lighting up, but rather the jelly that you rubbed on your hands (I've never heard of such a test).

In my experience, black lights can cause both a compound in urine (possibly the urea molecule) and compounds in soaps to light up. Some bateria may light up (be phosphorescent)... but I agree that the jelly might be the cause... it may be even harder to remove than ordinary bacteria. (Reminds me of back in the days when our dentist gave us red pellets to chew to show us how poorly we brushed our teeth!)

A long time ago, when I added a pet to my lease, the landlord can to inspect the carpet (pre-pet) with a black light. There was a big spot in from of my washer (where I'd spilled some detergent) that lit up like a rocket even though I'd tried to clean it our well, and there were some spots in the spare bedroom (where the prior tenants had kept a puppy... glad I picked that as the spare room, not my main room!) He never inspected it post-pet (although cha-cha's always been good :!) )... since there was a flood due to a clog, and he was going to have to replace most of the carpet anyways.

Monique said:

You most likely are right, it was a long time ago.

Related to Can Being Odorless Lead to a Longer Life?

1. Why do my feet and arm pits smell?

Smelly feet and arm pits are caused by bacteria that live on the skin. These bacteria break down sweat and produce unpleasant odors.

2. How can I prevent my feet and arm pits from smelling?

To prevent smelly feet and arm pits, it is important to practice good hygiene. This includes washing your feet and armpits regularly with soap and water, wearing clean socks and clothing, and using an antiperspirant or deodorant.

3. Are there any medical conditions that can cause smelly feet and arm pits?

Yes, certain medical conditions such as hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) or bromhidrosis (excessive body odor) can contribute to smelly feet and arm pits. If you are concerned, it is best to consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

4. Can certain foods or drinks make my feet and arm pits smell worse?

Yes, some foods and drinks such as garlic, onions, and alcohol can make your sweat smell stronger. This is because the compounds from these foods and drinks are released through your sweat glands.

5. Is it normal to have smelly feet and arm pits?

Yes, it is normal to have some degree of odor in these areas. However, if the odor is particularly strong or persistent, it may be a sign of underlying issues and it is best to consult a doctor.