Why Information Grows: book review

In summary, Cesar Hidalgo's book "Why Information Grows" discusses the main concept of how information underlies organization in the universe and economic dynamics. It considers life from an informational point of view and focuses on biological implications. The book also introduces the concept of dissipative structures, which are ephemeral formations that contain embedded information in the spatial ordering of atoms and can generate increasing complexity. Hidalgo also discusses the difference between information and knowledge/knowhow, where knowledge represents the ability to take appropriate actions in response to information. He also introduces the concepts of person-byte and firm-byte, which are the upper limits of knowledge/knowhow that an individual or firm can embody. The book also touches on the idea of "solids
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recently read Cesar Hidalgo’s 2015 book: “Why Information Grows”, which I heard about recently on Sean Carroll’s podcast (I like it).
It’s mostly an economics book that derives its main ideas from how information underlies organization in the universe, as well as in economic dynamics.
I like how it considers life from an informational point of view and will mostly discuss biological implications. Interested in feedback on this.

Main Three Part Origin Concept:
In a Goldilocks region of energy flux (not too much, not too little), dissipative structures can form, that in effect bring structural information into existence at the cost of the energy flow. See See Prigogine: who wrote a book, literally named Order Out of Chaos.

An arrangement of matter such as this, contains (has embedded) information in the spatial ordering of its atoms. Dissipative structures, like whirlpools in a draining bathtub, are ephemeral and will go away if the energy flow is shut down. If dissipative structures are made of “solids” (work used symbolically), they are preserved from the rapid entropic degradation that would occur if the flow were turned off.
I interpret "solids", in kind of symbolic conceptual way, as a more stable form of information storage that makes the dissipative structures are more resistant to the degrading effects of entropy. This concept seems to come from Schrödinger's book What is Life? (an influence on Hidalgo) where he compares stable molecular properties with solids. The solid like molecules being more stable and less ephemeral.
Further modification of these more stable dissipative structures allow elaboration of increasingly complex structures.
Eventually these structures become complex enough to be able to compute (to generate different outputs depending on their input conditions). Computation then can generate increasing complexity leading to positive feedback loops producing increasing complexity.

This, at the molecular level, seems to be what is going on in living matter.

Other interesting concepts in the book are:

Information vs. knowledge/knowhow:
Information, as structural arrangements of atoms, can be read off as an encoded message, but it does not intriniscally without any ability to do anything with the message. This would be like a DNA molecule.

Knowledge/Knowhow: represent the ability to take appropriate actions in response to an input (like the information described above). This would be like a cell making using the information (unpacking the information) encoded in DNA to produce (generate) particular molecular/cellular structures.
Knowledge: explicit knowledge of how to do something, such as a written procedure of how to make some product.
Knowhow: tacit information (not easily articulated; learned by doing not by reading, like bicycle riding). In biology, this is equivalent to selection choosing among genetic variants, as successful, that are reproducibly effective in their particular environment. These variants that embody infromation of how to successfully accomplish a task, in a particular environment, that were selected from the evolving group.
The resulting knowhow would be embedded into the structural complexity of the selected entity (which may be generated by the a combination of information stored in DNA and the knowhow of the cell/organism to read off that information).

Person-byte and a Firm-byte concepts:
These are the upper limits of the amount of knowledge/knowhow a person or firm can embody (know about how to do a particular job or make a product). Requiring greater levels of knowhow can than is available in an indvidual person or firm, thereby selects for greater capacity by building networks.
These can be compared to:
  • individual organisms, vs. herds or colonies (ants, bees) or species
  • or individual prokaryotic cells vs. eukaryotic cells (an archaeal-derived host cell housing a population of bacteria derived endosymbionts)

His book discusses how these concepts work together to generate economic dynamics.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Dissipative structures, like whirlpools in a draining bathtub, are ephemeral and will go away if the energy flow is shut down. If dissipative structures are made of “solids” (work used symbolically), they are preserved from the rapid entropic degradation that would occur if the flow were turned off.

Is there a qualitative difference here, or only quantitative one? Seems to me like this is just a matter of time scale - dissipative structures made from "solids" will degrade too, it will just take longer. Somehow I am not convinced there is a need for a separate treatment of both cases, they are probably described by the same model.

Likes BillTre
Borek said:
Is there a qualitative difference here, or only quantitative one? Seems to me like this is just a matter of time scale - dissipative structures made from "solids" will degrade too, it will just take longer. Somehow I am not convinced there is a need for a separate treatment of both cases, they are probably described by the same model.

I agree. this is one of the things in this book that bugged me.
I take the "Solids Term" as meaning longer term storage. Nothing will be perfect. Everything will eventually decay. The trick of living things is to reproduce faster than things degrade to noon-function, thereby propagating (approximate) copies through the generations.
I personally would use a different word.

However, having products that don't fall apart too fast seems important to me.
Such a transition (between falling apart too fast or not) would depend on other conditions lke those driving production.

Hidalgo talks of DNA and proteins as solids, but it can't be in the normal physical sense.
For one I don't think single molecules can have those properties.
For another proteins are kind of squishy and DNA is floppy. Not your typical solid properties.

Hidalgo likes Schrödinger's Meaning of Life book where he tries to figure out how genetics is working molecularly before DNA was understood.
In the book, Schrödinger hypothesizes a crystal like molecule, but one which is aperiodic (so it could hold information) as the genetic material.
To many, this is reminiscent of DNA, one molecule that is a linear repeat of any of four different units. A single DNA strand is actually held in a crystal-like (highly repeated) bound state with the opposite strand of the DNA duplex molecule, even though their sequence is aperiodic.

Likes AlexCaledin
Well, since Feynman had to invoke nature's knowledge in the Lectures, why not assume building knowledge to be the fundamental process.

Last edited:

1. What is the main premise of "Why Information Grows"?

The main premise of "Why Information Grows" is that information is the key to understanding economic growth and development. The book argues that information is not just knowledge or data, but rather the ability to process and use that knowledge to create new ideas and technologies.

2. Who is the author of "Why Information Grows"?

The author of "Why Information Grows" is Cesar Hidalgo, a Chilean physicist and professor at MIT. He has also worked as a researcher at Harvard University and is the founder of the Collective Learning group at the MIT Media Lab.

3. What makes "Why Information Grows" a unique book on economics?

"Why Information Grows" stands out from other books on economics because it takes a scientific and data-driven approach to understanding the growth of economies. The author uses concepts from physics and information theory to explain economic growth, making it a refreshing and unique perspective.

4. Is "Why Information Grows" only for experts in economics or science?

No, "Why Information Grows" is written in a way that is accessible to a general audience. The author uses relatable examples and avoids jargon, making it easy for anyone to understand the concepts presented in the book.

5. What are some key takeaways from "Why Information Grows"?

Some key takeaways from "Why Information Grows" include the importance of information in economic growth, the role of networks and connections in creating and sharing information, and the potential for developing countries to catch up to developed nations by improving their information processing abilities.