Biology Honors Project thought

Hopper_18
TL;DR Summary
Honors Project involving anti venom thoughts/suggestions
Hello,
I am a community college student currently in cellular and molecular biology. I wanted to do an honors project for this class and I was hoping I could get some thoughts or suggestions on this idea.

My project idea is this; I want to help make anti venom through a new and creative way. I was thinking that currently anti venom process is made through the same system that it has been used for years where the snake or venomous animal is milked for its venom and then injected into a horse or other animal.

Specifically, I was focusing on the getting of the venom. Milking animals for there venom is dangerous and I feel bad for the animals. I know that one way insulin is made is by adding the gene sequence for it into a bacteria plasmid which then goes into the bacteria. You then have the bacteria making insulin constantly.

I was hoping of doing something similar with the gene sequence for a neurotoxin for example. Put in into a plasmid and grow bacteria to mass produce venom of some organism where anti venom is needed. I was wondering though, if this would actually work or would the venom just kill the bacteria on the way out of the bacteria?

Also I don’t want to accidentally hurt myself, and I feel like my school wouldn’t approve of me making a true venom assuming it does work, so if anyone has some idea for either a lot less powerful venom or perhaps another idea for something good to create from bacteria transfection, that would be super helpful.

Thank you in advance for all help and ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Bacterially produced venom may lack post translational modifications that might affect its possible antigenicity. The post-translational modifications might only occur in eukaryotes.
Alternatively, use natural venom to produce antiserum monoclonal antibodies. If you find good ones, than further milking for venom might not be necessary.

Likes Khi Choy Xichdu and berkeman
Hopper_18 said:
I was hoping of doing something similar with the gene sequence for a neurotoxin for example.
- Are you sure that a genetic modification of bacteria which supposed to produce deadly substances is within the acceptable scope for a honors project?

- snake venoms, for example are complex.

What is a good topic for a Biology Honors Project?

A good topic for a Biology Honors Project should be both interesting and feasible. Consider areas such as genetics, environmental biology, microbiology, or neurobiology. Choose a topic that allows for experimental investigation, data analysis, and contributes new insights to the field.

How do I formulate a research question for my Biology Honors Project?

To formulate a research question, start by identifying a specific problem or area of interest within biology. Read current literature to understand what has already been explored and where gaps in knowledge exist. Your question should be clear, focused, and answerable through scientific methods.

What are some methods for collecting data in a Biology Honors Project?

Data collection methods in biology vary widely depending on your topic. Common methods include experiments, field surveys, laboratory testing, and the use of existing data sets. Choose methods that will provide clear, reliable data to answer your research question.

How can I analyze the data from my Biology Honors Project?

Data analysis in a Biology Honors Project often involves statistical testing to determine the significance of your findings. Use software like SPSS, R, or Python for statistical analysis. Ensure your methods of analysis are appropriate for the type of data you collected.

What is the best way to present the findings of a Biology Honors Project?

The best way to present your findings is through a well-organized research paper or presentation that includes an introduction, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. Use graphs, tables, and figures to effectively communicate your data. Be sure to discuss the implications of your findings and how they contribute to the field of biology.