Calculating the dimensions of an arc

In summary, the conversation is about finding the width of an arc bounded by a rectangle with given arc length and rectangle height. Some solutions using calculus and algebra are suggested but it is concluded that it may need to be solved iteratively.
kennethgilpin
Dear all,

I feel this should be a simple problem but I can't solve it. Could you give me a hand?

Imagine if an arc is bounded by a rectangle of dimensions width and height. The arc starts in the bottom left corner of the rectangle, and ends in the bottom right corner. The apex of the arc is the center of the top side of the rectangle. A picture of this is shown half way down this page:
http://www.mathopenref.com/chordsintersecting.html"

Assuming that the arc is less than a semi circle, if I know the length of the arc and the height of the rectangle, how can I calculate it's width?

Any help gratefully received,

kenneth

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi kennethgilpin! :smile:

So you know some calculus? In my opinion that's the easiest way to solve this.

First we will have to find the equation of the circle given the coordinates of the rectangle.
Say that the vertices of the rectangle have coordinates (0,L),(0,-L),(H,L),(H,-L).

The general equation of a circle is

[tex](x-x_0)^2+(y-y_0)^2=R^2[/tex]

with (x0,y0) the center of the circle and R the radius. We see easily that the center of the circle must lie on the y-axis, and thus x0=0.

Now, what you have to do is to find y0 and R such that (0,L) and (H,0) lie on the circle

[tex]x^2+(y-y_0)^2=R^2[/tex]

@MM: I'm afraid this won't work.
It's the arc length that is given, and the width that is asked.

I believe that the resulting equations can not be solved algebraically.
Of course it can be approximated numerically.

I like Serena said:
@MM: I'm afraid this won't work.
It's the arc length that is given, and the width that is asked.

Yes, I know. What I was attempting is to find an equation which calculated the arc length if you have the length and width given. Then I would use this equation to find an equation calculating the width... I think this ought to work, given that the equations are not too difficult...

I created the set of equations:

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
S &=& 2 R \alpha \\
W &=& 2 R \sin \alpha \\
R &=& H + R \cos \alpha
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]

where S is the arc length, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is half of the angle of the arc.

If you try to solve it for W, with given S and H, you'll quickly see that you're left with an equation that is afaik not solvable algebraically.

thank you for your replies. @likeSerena - i got similar equations to you which I could not solve.

This is for use within an iterative model so I will try to solve it iteratively.

kenneth

Related to Calculating the dimensions of an arc

1. How do you calculate the length of an arc?

To calculate the length of an arc, you can use the formula: L = r * θ, where L is the length of the arc, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

2. How do you find the radius of an arc?

The radius of an arc can be found by dividing the length of the arc by the central angle in radians. In other words, r = L / θ.

3. How do you calculate the central angle of an arc?

The central angle of an arc can be calculated by dividing the length of the arc by the radius of the circle. In other words, θ = L / r.

4. How do you convert degrees to radians for arc calculations?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = (π/180) * degrees. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a conversion chart to find the equivalent value in radians.

5. How do you solve for the arc length when given the arc's area and radius?

To solve for the arc length when given the arc's area and radius, you can use the formula: L = √(2 * r * A), where L is the length of the arc, r is the radius of the circle, and A is the area of the arc.