Calculating the length of an arc inside a circle

In summary: The diagram was created using a drawing program, so it's not easy to reproduce. You could try finding a similar program or drawing method online. Alternatively, you could try to come up with an equation that can solve for the angle based on the information in the diagram.
Aja
A sad and strange image, I know, but better than none at all. What you see is a stake I'm trying to model using CAD software. With the dimension given (5 inches--in case it's not clear, the distance from the top of the equilateral triangle that encloses this shape to the midpoint of the red arc) I'm willing to bet that I can calculate the length of that arc or other dimensions that will help me model this accurately.

Any ideas?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4116

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Aja said:
A sad and strange image, I know, but better than none at all. What you see is a stake I'm trying to model using CAD software. With the dimension given (5 inches--in case it's not clear, the distance from the top of the equilateral triangle that encloses this shape to the midpoint of the red arc) I'm willing to bet that I can calculate the length of that arc or other dimensions that will help me model this accurately.

Any ideas?
Hi Aja, and welcome to MHB!

It looks as though the shape you are trying to model is a region inside an equilateral triangle, where the boundary of the region consists of arcs of circles. There is a small circle, of radius $r_2$ say, inside each corner of the triangle, and arcs of these circles are connected by arcs of larger circles of radius $r_1$, as in the diagram below.

In order to determine the configuration, you need to know the ratio between those two radii. Alternatively, you could specify the angle of the $r_1$-arcs. In the diagram, I have made this angle $60^\circ$, which makes the calculations a whole lot easier.

In practice, it is probably easiest to start by deciding an arbitrary value for $r_2$. You can then use the ratio $r_1/r_2$ (or alternatively the angle of the $r_1$-arcs) to complete the construction. Then finally you can scale the whole diagram so that the vertical distance from the apex of the triangle to the midpoint of the $r_1$-arc at the base of the diagram becomes $5$ inches.

Attachments

• stake.png
    stake.png
    7 KB · Views: 68
Thanks! I think you've led me to a solution that won't require any calculations or further measurements. How'd you create that nifty diagram?

Just for kicks, how would I go about solving this if I knew the ratio?

One other thing: would you say it's reasonable to assume that the arc angle is 60$^\circ$? That makes intuitive sense to me both given this object's shape and my fuzzy recollection of high school geometry, but I can't articulate why. Give me a nudge?

Related to Calculating the length of an arc inside a circle

What is the formula for calculating the length of an arc inside a circle?

The formula for calculating the length of an arc inside a circle is L = rθ, where L is the length of the arc, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians.

How do I convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, use the formula θ (in radians) = θ (in degrees) x π / 180. For example, if the central angle is 60 degrees, then the central angle in radians would be 60 x π / 180 = 1.047 radians.

What is the central angle?

The central angle is the angle formed by two radii of a circle, with the vertex of the angle at the center of the circle. It is measured in radians or degrees.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the length of an arc in a semi-circle or quarter-circle?

Yes, the formula L = rθ can be used to calculate the length of an arc in any portion of a circle, as long as the central angle is known.

What unit is used for the length of an arc inside a circle?

The length of an arc inside a circle is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. However, it can also be expressed in radians or degrees if needed.