Concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos

• I
  • Thread starter wingythingy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the common feature seen in old bubble chamber photos, specifically the large arc of concentrated bubbles along the bottom and right side of the chamber. The speaker is trying to understand if this is a structural artifact or an actual signal. They mention the possibility of a lead plate being used to slow down particles and increase the chance of interaction. However, they also acknowledge that bubble chambers are no longer in use and the photographs may have deliberate distortions for measurement purposes.
wingythingy
TL;DR Summary
What's with the big prominent circles and/or arcs in photos from bubble chambers? Not the particle tracks, but the arcs that look like they're probably the chamber structure, except for the asymmetrical amount of bubbles around them.
Hello! I've been looking at old bubble chamber photos recently, and a lot of them have a common feature that I can't quite figure out. For instance:

particle jets and arc.jpg

(Via this page, where the caption reads in part: "This has been produced by a muon neutrino (entering from the left) interacting with a neutron at the border of the large circle.")

I understand how bubble chambers work (particles are injected, they interact with other particles in the chamber resulting in decays to still other particles, the magnetic field interacts with particles to create curved tracks depending on momentum and charge, only charged particles leave tracks), so I get what's going on with the particle jet that emanates from left to right, and all the spirals etc. What I don't understand is what the large arc of concentrated bubbles is, along the bottom and the right. Or why it's spiky at the bottom.

Given that it's part of a larger circle, I'm inclined to assume that it's a trick of perspective, and you're seeing part of the physical structure of the chamber opposite the camera. (This was the conclusion drawn in the only other thing I could find on the web about it, on Stack Exchange here.) But given that the high concentration of bubbles is only on the right side of the circle, in the direction of the particle jet, it makes me suspect that there is some kind of actual signal going on there, rather than solely a structural artifact. Maybe it's several subsequent generations' worth of decays making their way to the structure, and interacting en masse with whatever's there? I keep getting stuck on why there are particle tracks on the 'outside' of the circle if it's part of the structure, but if it's just a matter of perspective then I can understand that. Maybe it's an outline of the piston? But again, why would there be a concentration of bubbles in an area that matches the outline of the thing, if it's just a perspective trick?

This photo has the same thing happening, but you can more clearly see a solid(ish) line that borders the big bubbly arc (via CERN, albeit with an unhelpful caption):
particle jets and arc3.jpeg

Which, again, makes me think physical structure. (But for the fact that it gets narrower in the center of the frame, which is too confusing in this context to think about.) But what is it? I know that in this cloud chamber photo of the discovery of the positron:
cloud_chamber.jpg

the horizontal line is a lead plate used to slow particles down. Could this be something similar? I've mostly dismissed the idea since it seems like something that should have been mentioned in at least one caption or document I've read, but who am I to say what's silly and what's not!

Physics news on Phys.org
A lead plate makes sense if you want to detect neutrinos. It has a higher interaction chance than the active medium in the bubble chamber and it is more likely to lead to a well-defined starting position of a particle shower. Its own radioactivity could show up in the pictures, too.

A lead plate also can be used to convert photons which are not detected into e+e- pairs which can be.

Two points seem not to be clear, though:
1. Bubble chambers are part of history - the last one of its kind was built around 1980. They are just too slow - BEBC took 6 million events over its lifetime. ATLAS and CMS do this in a few milliseconds.
2. These photographs can have deliberate distortion to get the best possible measurement in some regions and a wide field of view in others. What you see is not what you get. Some might be more art than anything else.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb, vanhees71 and berkeman

1. What are concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos?

Concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos are curved tracks left by charged particles as they pass through a superheated liquid or gas. These tracks are created when the particles ionize the surrounding medium, causing bubbles to form along their path.

2. How are concentrated arcs created in bubble chamber photos?

Concentrated arcs are created when charged particles, such as protons or electrons, pass through a superheated liquid or gas. As they move through the medium, they ionize the surrounding atoms, causing bubbles to form along their path.

3. What information can be obtained from concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos?

The shape and curvature of the concentrated arcs can provide information about the charge, mass, and momentum of the particles that created them. By analyzing the patterns of these arcs, scientists can identify and study different types of particles.

4. How are bubble chamber photos used in scientific research?

Bubble chambers are used to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. By analyzing the tracks left by particles in the chamber, scientists can gather information about their characteristics and interactions, helping to further our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. What are some applications of studying concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos?

Studying concentrated arcs in bubble chamber photos has many practical applications, such as in medical imaging and radiation therapy. It also helps scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators, which can lead to advancements in technology and energy production.