Calculating Sodium Atom Ground State Degeneracy

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the degeneracy of the ground state of a Sodium atom using Hartree's theory. The ground state is found to be once-degenerate, as the electron in the 3s orbital can have spin up or spin down. This is based on the Hartree-Fock approximation without exchange, which results in a wave function that is a product of single-electron wave functions. The context of the question is unclear.
hanson1011
Hi guys,
Just got a question I'm a little stuck on and would love a push in the right direction

Q) Using Hartree's theory calculate the degeneracy of the ground state of the Sodium atom.

Its a previous exam question and I'm struggling to find much descriptive information about the topic so any help is great

Many thanks

H

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this, but using the fact that the electronic configuration for the sodium atom is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1, I'd say the ground state is twice degenerate (two states can be the ground state).

(electronic configurations in chemistry are based on the hartree approximation).

Cheers for the reply Amok,

So does the ground state correspond to the highest occupied n level state?

No, the ground state is the ground electronic configuration. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1 is the ground state. I said it is twice degenrate (actually that was a mistake, it is once-degenerate), because the electron in the 3s orbital can have spin up or spin down.

Hartree suggested that the SE for a many-electron atom could be approximately solved by using a "mean-field" approximation (like a Hartree-Fock approximation without exchange). This results in a wave function that is a product of wave functions each depending on a single-electron coordinate (the positions of each electron are uncorrelated):

[tex] \psi(x_1, x_2, x_3, ... x_n)= \phi(x_1) \phi(x_2) \phi(x_3) ... \phi(x_n) [/tex]

Where the phis are spin-orbitals (single electron wavefunctions) and x is a position and spin coordinate. They are the product of a "position wavefunction" with a "spin wavefunction".

In the case of the sodium atom this would give:

[tex] \psi(x_1, x_2, x_3, ... x_{11})= \phi(x_1) \phi(x_2) \phi(x_3) ... \phi(x_{11}) [/tex]

The last orbital can be written as:

[tex] \phi(x_{11}) = \varphi(r_{11}) \alpha [/tex]

or as:

[tex] \phi(x_{11}) = \varphi(r_{11}) \beta [/tex]

Where alpha and beta are spin wavefunctions. The ground state is therefore once-degenerate.

Now knowing what you have learned, I'm not sure this is the answer they want. The question seems kinda weird to me. In which context does this question appear?

Last edited:
Thanks very much, that makes a lot more sense! Its a stand alone question with no prior sections.

Many thanks

Related to Calculating Sodium Atom Ground State Degeneracy

1. What is the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom?

The ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom is equal to 2, meaning that there are two possible energy levels for the electrons in the atom to occupy at the lowest energy state.

2. How is the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom calculated?

The ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom can be calculated using the formula 2n^2, where n is the principal quantum number representing the energy level of the electron. For sodium, n=3, so the degeneracy is 2(3)^2 = 18.

3. Why is the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom important?

The ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom is important because it helps us understand the arrangement of electrons in the atom and the stability of the atom. A higher degeneracy indicates a more stable atom.

4. How does the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom compare to other elements?

The ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom is relatively low compared to other elements. For example, carbon has a degeneracy of 4, while oxygen has a degeneracy of 6. This is due to the number of electrons in the outer energy level of the atom.

5. Can the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom change?

Yes, the ground state degeneracy of a sodium atom can change if the atom undergoes a chemical reaction or if it interacts with other atoms. In these cases, the energy levels of the electrons can shift, altering the degeneracy of the atom.