Stark effect: find ground state

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of first-order perturbation theory to find the perturbed ground state wavefunction of a hydrogen atom in an externally applied electric field. The equation for correcting the wave function is given, and the individual's attempt at solving the problem is shared. The final result is an unperturbed ground state wavefunction with a correction added, which is not normalized.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I have a problem related to first-order perturbation theory, and I'm not sure I'm tackling the problem correctly. Here is the problem:

Consider a hydrogen atom in an externally applied electric field ##\vec{F}##. Use first-order perturbation theory to find the perturbed ground state wavefunction. (Take ##\vec{F}=F\hat{z}## and, just to make things easier, include only the ##n = 2## states.)

Homework Equations

(I use Griffiths as a source)

Correction of wave function: ##\psi_n^1 = \sum_{m\neq n} \frac{\langle \psi_m^0 | H' | \psi_n^0 \rangle}{E_n^0 - E_m^0}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the perturbation due to ##\vec{F}## is ##H'=eFz##. My main difficulty is to interpret the equation given in Griffiths for a wave function in spherical coordinates. Here is my attempt:

##\psi_{100}^1= \sum_{nlm\neq 100}^{\infty} \frac{|nlm \rangle \langle nlm | H' | 100 \rangle}{E_1^0 - E_n^0}##

Is that the correct way to deal with this equation? Then I calculated ##\langle nlm | H' | 100 \rangle## (generally), and using ##z=r \cos \theta##, ##Y_0^0 \cos \theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} Y_1^0## and the orthogonality of spherical harmonics I get:

##\langle nlm | H' | 100 \rangle = \frac{eF}{\sqrt{3}} \delta_{l1} \delta_{m0} \frac{2}{\sqrt{a^3}} \int dr\ r^3 R_{nl}^* e^{-r/a}##

which means that ##\langle nlm | H' | 100 \rangle=0## for ##l\neq 1##, ##m\neq 0##. Then the exercise asks to consider only ##n=2## states, so the only ##nlm## triplet for which the correction is not ##0## is ##|210\rangle##. So now I can integrate the radial function and get:

##\langle 210 | H' 100 \rangle = \frac{128 \sqrt{2}}{243} eFa##

which takes me to a correction:

##\psi_0^1=\frac{|210\rangle \langle 210 | H' | 100 \rangle}{E_1^0 - E_2^0}##
##= - \frac{256 eF}{729 \sqrt{3}} \frac{1}{Ry} \frac{r}{\sqrt{a^3}} e^{-r/2a}##

(The ##-## comes from the energy difference: ##E_1^0 - E_2^0 = -Ry + Ry/4 = -3Ry/4##)

Finally I can add the correction to the unperturbated ground state wave function and get:

##|100\rangle_\text{perturbated} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^3}} e^{-r/a} + \psi_0^1##

Does that make sense? The result is kind of ugly, but from what I read on the internet and in Griffiths it would be surprising if that wasn't the case. I've also only very recently started to use the Dirac notation, hopefully I didn't get confused along the way.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not check your numbers but the method looks right. Note that the perturbed wavefunction you found is not normalized. It's not pretty but that's PT for you.

Related to Stark effect: find ground state

1. What is the Stark effect?

The Stark effect is a phenomenon in physics where the energy levels of an atom or molecule are shifted in the presence of an external electric field.

2. How does the Stark effect work?

The Stark effect occurs because the electric field interacts with the charged particles within the atom or molecule, causing a change in the energy levels. This change is known as the Stark shift.

3. What is the ground state in the Stark effect?

The ground state in the Stark effect refers to the lowest energy level of an atom or molecule in the absence of an external electric field. It is the starting point from which the energy levels are shifted in the presence of an electric field.

4. How is the ground state found in the Stark effect?

The ground state can be found by calculating the energy levels of the atom or molecule in the absence of an electric field. This can be done using quantum mechanics equations and experimental data.

5. What are the applications of the Stark effect?

The Stark effect has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, quantum computing, and atomic clocks. It is also used in studying the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.