Probability to find electron in ground state

In summary, to calculate the probability that the electron is in the ground state of a hydrogen atom described by the normalized wavefunction ##\psi (r,\vartheta ,\varphi )=(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})##, the coefficient ##a_1## can be found by taking the inner product of the ground state wavefunction and the given wavefunction. This can be calculated by expanding the given wavefunction in terms of the eigenfunctions of the atom and integrating. The resulting probability is ##64/
skrat

Homework Statement

An electron in hydrogen atom can be described with normalized wavefunction ##\psi (r,\vartheta ,\varphi )=(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})##.

Calculate the probability that the electron is in ground state of hydrogen atom. How much is the energy of electron in state ##\psi ##?
Ground state is ##\psi (r,\vartheta ,\varphi )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r_B^{3/2}}exp(-\frac{r}{r_B})##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to even start with the fist part - calculating the probability...

But the second part should be relatively easy to do: ##\left \langle \psi\left | \hat{H} \right | \psi \right \rangle=\left \langle \psi\left | \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\hat{p}^2+\frac{\hat{l}^2}{2m\left \langle r \right \rangle^2}-\frac{e^2}{4\pi \varepsilon _0}\frac{1}{\hat{r}} \right | \psi \right \rangle##

But still... what is the idea behind the first question? o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##\psi## be your given normalized wavefunction and let ##\phi_1, \phi_2, \phi_3,...## be the normalized wavefunctions for the energy eigenstates of the atom. So, ##\phi_1## is the ground state, ##\phi_2## is the first excited state, etc.

The set of eigenfunctions ##\{\phi_1, \phi_2, \phi_3,...\}## form a complete, orthonormal set of functions. So, you could imagine expanding ##\psi## in terms of the eigenfunctions:

##\psi = a_1\phi_1+a_2\phi_2+a_3\phi_3...##

How is the coefficient ##a_1## related to the probability that you are asked to find, and how can you calculate the value of ##a_1##?

##\left | a_1 \right |^2## is by definition the probability that the electron will be in state ##\phi _1##.

The sum of those coefficients is therefore ##\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left | a_i \right |=1##.

Now how to calculate them... hmm

If I am not wrong ##a_n=\left \langle \psi _n \right | \psi \rangle## or is it not?

##a_1=\left \langle \psi _1 \right | \psi \rangle=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{\pi }d\vartheta sin\vartheta \int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r_B^{3/2}}exp(-\frac{r}{r_B})r^2dr##

##a_1=\frac{1}{2r_B^3}\int_{0}^{\infty}r^2exp(-\frac{5r}{4r_B})dr##

which gives me ##a_1=\frac{16}{25}##

Therefore the probability should be 0.4096.

I hope.

skrat said:
##a_1=\left \langle \psi _1 \right | \psi \rangle=\int_{0}^{2\pi }d\varphi \int_{0}^{\pi }d\vartheta sin\vartheta \int_{0}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{64\pi r_B^3})^{\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{r}{4r_B})\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r_B^{3/2}}exp(-\frac{r}{r_B})r^2dr##

##a_1=\frac{1}{2r_B^3}\int_{0}^{\infty}r^2exp(-\frac{5r}{4r_B})dr##

Looks good.

which gives me ##a_1=\frac{16}{25}##

I get a different value.

Of course you do, ##5^2## was never ##20##.

##a_1=64/125##.

Thank you TSny!

skrat said:
Of course you do, ##5^2## was never ##20##.

:smile:

Related to Probability to find electron in ground state

1. What is the probability of finding an electron in the ground state?

The probability of finding an electron in the ground state is 100%. This is because the ground state is the lowest energy state for an electron, and it is always in this state unless energy is added to the system.

2. How is the probability of finding an electron in the ground state calculated?

The probability of finding an electron in the ground state is calculated using the wave function, which describes the probability distribution of where the electron is likely to be found in a given energy state. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the electron in a particular location.

3. Does the probability of finding an electron in the ground state change with time?

No, the probability of finding an electron in the ground state does not change with time. This is because the ground state is the most stable energy state for an electron, and it will remain in this state unless energy is added to the system.

4. Can an electron be found in the ground state in any atom?

Yes, an electron can be found in the ground state in any atom. The ground state is the lowest energy state for an electron, and all atoms have this state. However, the energy level of the ground state may vary between different atoms.

5. Is the probability of finding an electron in the ground state the same for all atoms?

No, the probability of finding an electron in the ground state can vary between different atoms. This is because the energy levels of the ground state can differ depending on the atomic structure and other factors such as the presence of external fields.