Calculating Force exerted on a skydiver when Parachute opens?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force exerted on a skydiver when the parachute is deployed. The factors needed for this calculation include the deceleration caused by the parachute, the skydiver's initial velocity, and the skydiver's mass. The conversation also touches on finding the impulse of this force, which can be calculated by finding the change in momentum or the amount of time the force is applied. However, the process of finding these values may be more complicated due to other factors such as air resistance.
Hazarrd
Calculating Force exerted on a skydiver when Parachute opens??

Ok. So i want to calculate the force in Newtons that is exerted on a skydiver when the parachute is deployed. I have the deceleration that the parachute causes, the velocity that the skydiver is going right as the parachute is deploying and the mass of the skydiver. How would I go about finding this?

My followup question is: How would I find the impulse of this force? Is it just the force multiplied by the amount of time the skydiver experiences it for? Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use energies and momentum.

First, the change in the skydiver's momentum is:

[tex]Ft = \Delta P = m\Delta v = m(v_2 - v_1)[/tex]

Second, the change in the skydiver's energies is:

[tex]W_F = \Delta E_k + \Delta E_p[/tex]

[tex]F\Delta h = \frac{1}{2}m(v_2^2 - v_1^2) + mg\Delta h[/tex]

Now what you need to do is relate Δh to t (the time it takes the parachute to completely open) and solve the equations for F. I've assumed that the force exerted on the skydiver is constant throughout the parachute openning.

Well, after reading your question again it seems you don't have to go through all that. If you already have the deceleration caused by the parachute, and the skydiver's mass... just multiply them to get the net force on the skydiver, and substract gravity to find the force exerted by the parachute. :smile:

Hey, that's what I was thinking also. But I;m wondering if I should multiply the decleration by the mass of the parachute or the mass of the body? Since the parachute is the acting force would it be the parachute mass? Thanks!

Also, any idea how to find Impulse? :redface:

You should use the skydiver's mass, because you are working with the deceleration of the skydiver (it doesn't matter what object causes the force).

Impluse equals change in momentum, so:
J = ΔP
FΔt = mΔv
So you need to either find the change in velocity of the skydiver, or the amount of time the parachute exerts the force on the skydiver. I honestly can't see how you can find either of them, at least with the information that the problem provides. Are you not given any more data to work with? :redface:

Hazzard,

The answer depends on what you mean by "I have the deceleration that the parachute causes". Do you mean:

Do you really mean:

1) "I have the the deceleration that the parachute causes"

Or do you mean:

2) I have the the deceleration of the diver?

If it's #2, just use that deceleration and the mass of the diver in Newton's 2nd law and add the force of gravity (mg).

But if it's #1, it's not so easy, because the parachute isn't the only thing causing the diver to decelerate. There's air resistance to consider as well.

Waht is the deceleration of the diver?

Last edited:
I mounted an accelerometer on my helmet while jumping. I have the deceleration value that the head incurs because of the parachute opening. Thanks.

Related to Calculating Force exerted on a skydiver when Parachute opens?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force exerted on a skydiver when a parachute opens?

The formula for calculating the force exerted on a skydiver when a parachute opens is F = m * g + (1/2) * ρ * v2 * A * Cd, where F is the force, m is the mass of the skydiver, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity, A is the cross-sectional area of the parachute, and Cd is the coefficient of drag.

2. How does the mass of the skydiver affect the force exerted on them when the parachute opens?

The mass of the skydiver directly affects the force exerted on them when the parachute opens. As the mass increases, the force also increases, according to the formula F = m * g. This means that a heavier skydiver will experience a greater force when their parachute opens compared to a lighter skydiver.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of drag in calculating the force exerted on a skydiver when the parachute opens?

The coefficient of drag is a measure of the air resistance or drag force acting on an object moving through the air. In the formula F = m * g + (1/2) * ρ * v2 * A * Cd, the coefficient of drag (Cd) represents the shape and size of the parachute, and how it affects the force experienced by the skydiver when it opens. A higher coefficient of drag means the parachute will experience greater air resistance and the skydiver will experience a higher force.

4. How does air density affect the force exerted on a skydiver when the parachute opens?

Air density plays a significant role in determining the force exerted on a skydiver when the parachute opens. As the density of air increases, the force experienced by the skydiver also increases, according to the formula F = m * g + (1/2) * ρ * v2 * A * Cd. This is because denser air creates more resistance, resulting in a higher force on the parachute and the skydiver.

5. Is there a maximum force a skydiver can experience when their parachute opens?

Yes, there is a maximum force that a skydiver can experience when their parachute opens. This is known as the maximum load limit and it is determined by the design and materials of the parachute. Parachutes are designed to withstand a certain amount of force and if the force exceeds this limit, it can result in damage to the parachute or injury to the skydiver. It is important for skydivers to always follow proper procedures and use well-maintained equipment to ensure their safety.