Stop Race Car in 1000 m with Parachute: Solve for Retarding Force

In summary, the parachute on a race car of weight 8820 N opens at the end of quater mile run when the car is traveling at 35 m/s^2. The total retarding force required to stop the car at a distance of 1000 m is 551.25 N.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
The parachute on a race car of weight 8820 N opens at the end of quater mile run when the car is traveling at 35m/s^2
a.What total retarding force must be supplied by the parachute to stop the car to a distance of 1000 m

$\displaystyle d = v_0\cdot t + \frac{1}{2}\cdot a \cdot t^2 $
$\displaystyle v = v_0 + a\cdot t $ok I think you use these 2 equations
but not sure how to do the steps

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We are asked to find the magnitude of a force, and Newton's 2nd LAw states essentially:

\(\displaystyle F=ma\)

We are given the mass, the displacement, the initial and final velocities and so I would look at the following kinematic equation:

\(\displaystyle a=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2x}\)

Can you put these two equations together to find the required retarding force?

karush said:
what is x ?

1000?

Yes, $x$ is the displacement, which is given as 1000 m. Since this is physics, I would recommend always using units with your numbers, and ensure your units work out correctly. :)

MarkFL said:
Yes, $x$ is the displacement, which is given as 1000 m. Since this is physics, I would recommend always using units with your numbers, and ensure your units work out correctly. :)

this?

$\displaystyle a=\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2x}
\implies\frac{0^2-(35 m/s^2)^2}{2(1000 m)}$

then?

$F=8820a$

Last edited:
karush said:

this?

then?

$F=8820a$

You've got the right idea, but your units are off...I would write:

\(\displaystyle |F|=m|a|=m\left|\frac{v_f^2-v_i^2}{2x}\right|\)

Okay, now given that $v_f^2<v_i^2$, we can write:

\(\displaystyle |F|=\frac{m\left(v_i^2-v_f^2\right)}{2x}\)

Now, we are given the weight of the car, but we need the mass:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{w}{g}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle |F|=\frac{w\left(v_i^2-v_f^2\right)}{2gx}\)

Now, plug in the given data along with the units...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
Now, we are given the weight of the car, but we need the mass:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{w}{g}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle |F|=\frac{8820\left(v_i^2-v_f^2\right)}{2gx}\)

Now, plug in the given data along with the units...what do you get?

$\displaystyle |F|=\Biggr|\frac{w\left(v_i^2-v_f^2\right)}{2gx}\Biggr|$
$\displaystyle |F|=\Biggr|\frac{8820((35 m/s^2)^2-0^2)}{2(9.8 m/s^2)(1000m)}\Biggr|$kinda?
kinda?

karush said:
$\displaystyle |F|=\Biggr|\frac{w\left(v_i^2-v_f^2\right)}{2gx}\Biggr|$
$\displaystyle |F|=\Biggr|\frac{8820((35 m/s^2)^2-0^2)}{2(9.8 m/s^2)(1000m)}\Biggr|$kinda?
kinda?

Your units are off, or missing...what you want is:

\(\displaystyle |F|=\frac{\left(8820\text{ N}\right)\left(\left(35\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2-\left(0\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2\right)}{2\left(9.8\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}\right)\left(1000\text{ m}\right)}\)

Do you see how all the units divide out leaving nothing by Newtons, which is dimensionally correct, since the LHS is the magnitude of a force? So what we're left with is:

\(\displaystyle |F|=\frac{8820\cdot35^2}{2\cdot9.8\cdot1000}\,\text{N}=\,?\)

$\displaystyle
|F|=\Biggr|\frac{\left(8820\text{ N}\right)\left(\left(35\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2-\left(0\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\right)^2\right)}
{2\left(9.8\dfrac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2}\right)\left(1000\text{ m}\right)}\Biggr|
=\color{red}{551.25 \, \textsf{N}}$

the W|A touch!

Related to Stop Race Car in 1000 m with Parachute: Solve for Retarding Force

What is the purpose of using a parachute to stop a race car in 1000 m?

The purpose of using a parachute is to create a retarding force that will slow down the race car and help it come to a stop within the desired distance of 1000 m. This is a common method used in drag racing to safely slow down high-speed vehicles.

How do you calculate the retarding force needed to stop a race car in 1000 m?

The retarding force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/2d, where m is the mass of the race car, v is the initial velocity, and d is the stopping distance (1000 m in this case). This formula helps determine the amount of force needed to decelerate the car and bring it to a stop within the given distance.

What factors can affect the retarding force on a race car using a parachute?

The retarding force can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the parachute, the velocity and mass of the race car, and the air resistance (drag) acting on the parachute and the car. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also influence the retarding force.

Can the retarding force be too strong when using a parachute to stop a race car?

Yes, the retarding force can be too strong if it exceeds the maximum braking force that the car is designed to handle. This can cause the car to skid or flip, leading to potential accidents. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the retarding force to ensure safe and controlled deceleration of the race car.

Are there any alternative methods to stop a race car besides using a parachute?

Yes, there are other methods such as using brakes, air brakes, or aerodynamic drag devices that can be used to slow down a race car. However, using a parachute is a popular and effective method, especially in drag racing, as it provides a large amount of retarding force and can quickly bring the car to a stop within a short distance.