Calculate Skydiver Deceleration Force

• I
  • Thread starter Vikinglord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deceleration
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force exerted on a skydiver as they decelerate from their terminal velocity of 120 mph to 30 mph in one second. The resulting deceleration is 132 ft/sec^2, which is approximately 4 g's. There is also mention of equipment manufacturers trying to reduce the initial deceleration and jerk during the deceleration process.
Vikinglord
I'm wondering how to calculate the force exerted on a skydiver as they decelerate from their terminal velocity of approximately 120 mph to approximately 30 mph in the course of one second, as I have seen and felt while skydiving. Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
120 mph is 176 ft/sec and 30 mph is 44 ft/sec. So the deceleration is 132 ft/sec^2. This is about 4 g's.

Note that that assumes contact deceleration, which I would think equipment manufacturers try to achieve.

Instead of constant deceleration, there's some effort to also reduce the jerk, so that the initial deceleration is not as great as the maximum deceleration.

Related to Calculate Skydiver Deceleration Force

What is the formula for calculating skydiver deceleration force?

The formula for calculating skydiver deceleration force is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass is the weight of the skydiver and the acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

What factors affect the deceleration force experienced by a skydiver?

The factors that affect the deceleration force experienced by a skydiver include their weight, the drag force from their parachute, and the air resistance. The height from which they jump and their body position can also play a role.

How do you convert a skydiver's velocity to acceleration?

To convert a skydiver's velocity to acceleration, you can use the formula acceleration = change in velocity / time. This will give you the average acceleration experienced by the skydiver over a certain period of time.

What is the typical range of deceleration forces experienced by a skydiver?

The typical range of deceleration forces experienced by a skydiver is between 3-5 Gs (gravitational force). This means that the skydiver will feel 3-5 times their body weight pushing against them during deceleration.

How can calculating deceleration force help in ensuring a safe skydiving experience?

Calculating deceleration force can help in ensuring a safe skydiving experience by providing information about the forces that the body will experience during freefall and parachute deployment. This can help in determining the appropriate equipment and training needed for a safe skydive.