Modeling an equation for parachute landing

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to prove why it is impossible for James Bond to open a parachute 2 seconds before impact and land safely. They have tried searching for information on the upward force of a parachute and the drag coefficient, but have not been able to find a specific value for a parachute. They have also questioned if the variable "b" in the Stoke's drag equation is the same as the drag coefficient. Another person in the conversation mentions that it takes 3-5 seconds for a regular parachute to open and suggests using the approximate height of a chair to calculate landing speed. The original person asks for help in calculating the velocity of someone falling at 50m/s after releasing their parachute at t = 0.
chengbin
I'm trying to prove why it is impossible for James Bond to open the parachute 2 seconds before impact and still land relatively unharmed. My argument is that there is no way a parachute can slow Bond from 190km/h to about 40-50km/h in 2 seconds.

I tried searching the web for information on the amount of upward force a parachute brings, but no luck.

The web gives me equations on descent velocity and stuff, but that calculates the terminal velocity when you have a parachute, so that's not useful.

The closest I've found is stoke's drag, where if I solve this conditional differential equation for v of the equation mdv/dt = mg - Bv, and when t = 0, v = 50m/s (terminal velocity of a human), but I can't find a B value for a parachute.

Can anyone fill in some missing pieces or suggest a better way to prove this? I'm in grade 11 physics, so my physics knowledge is very limited. I can learn new physics concept if they're not too complicated, so please dumb it down a little bit in your explanations. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
So for stokes drag calculation, would the drag coefficient be the "b" variable?

You know the terminal velocity for a human.

I was told landing with a parachute was like jumping of a chair. With the approximate height of a chair you can calculate Landing speed, which would be close to terminal velocity with a parachute.

I know for a fact it takes 3 to 5 seconds for a regular parachute to open, because when i I made my first jump, they made me count to 5 before looking up to check if it opened ok. So J.B.'s is surely better.

You should be able to calculate anything you need with this data.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
You know the terminal velocity for a human.

I was told landing with a parachute was like jumping of a chair. With the approximate height of a chair you can calculate Landing speed, which would be close to terminal velocity with a parachute.

I know for a fact it takes 3 to 5 seconds for a regular parachute to open, because when i I made my first jump, they made me count to 5 before looking up to check if it opened ok. So J.B.'s is surely better.

You should be able to calculate anything you need with this data.

Could you please explain how?

Drag is not taught in grade 11 physics, so I'm not too familiar with its calculation.

I want to calculate if someone is falling at 50m/s, and he releases his parachute at t = 0, what is his velocity after 2 seconds.

I'm guessing the drag coefficient has to be involved somehow. Right now I'm confused between the drag coefficient, Cd, and the b value from stoke's drag (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)). Are they the same? Since you said I have all the information to calculate, how do I do that?

all the way - Dr Lots-o'watts..airborne..
we were jumping with static line and it took that long for the chute to deploy from the Dbag and break the static line tie at the bridal loop at the apex of the chute. no way can any chute be deployed in two seconds...

The chute was open, and they were airborne with the chute open for 2 seconds before impact.

I hope someone can answer my question of stoke's drag and if the variable b is the same as drag coefficient. If not, what is b, and how can I find a value of b for a parachute?

Related to Modeling an equation for parachute landing

1. How is the equation for parachute landing modeled?

The equation for parachute landing is typically modeled using a combination of mathematical and physical principles. This may include factors such as air resistance, gravitational force, and the parachute's surface area and weight.

2. What variables are commonly included in the equation for parachute landing?

The variables commonly included in the equation for parachute landing may include the parachute's surface area, its weight, the air density, the velocity of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other variables may also be considered depending on the specific scenario.

3. How accurate is the equation for parachute landing?

The accuracy of the equation for parachute landing may vary depending on the specific scenario and the accuracy of the data used for the variables. In general, the equation can provide a good estimate of the landing time and distance, but may not account for all variables that can affect the actual landing.

4. What is the importance of modeling an equation for parachute landing?

Modeling an equation for parachute landing is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of a parachute during landing. This can help in designing and testing parachutes for different scenarios, as well as ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the parachute in real-life situations.

5. Are there different equations for different types of parachutes?

Yes, there may be different equations for different types of parachutes, as the design and characteristics of the parachute can affect its landing behavior. For example, a round parachute may have a different equation than a ram-air parachute, as they have different surface areas and air resistance. Additionally, the equation may also vary for different sizes and weights of parachutes.