Buying and Selling Beef Word Problem

• Thread starter darshanpatel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Word problem
In summary, the question is asking when to sell a steer in order to maximize profit, given that it weighs 300 pounds and gains 8 pounds per day, costs $1 per day to keep, and the market price is falling 2 cents per pound per day. The equation to maximize profit is (300+8x)(1.50-.02x)-x, with the correct answer being about 16 days.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

A steer weighing 300 pounds gains 8 pounds per day and costs 1.00 dollar a day to keep. You bought this steer today at market price of 1.50 dollars per pound. However, the market price is falling 2 cents per pound per day. When should you sell the steer in order to maximize your profit?

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured out the basics but don't know where to go from there.

Total cost for steer: $450 ---> 1.50 dollars x 300 pounds
You lose $9 + $1= losing $10 per day ----> market falling 2 cents per day per pound + 1 dollar a day to keep

How does the gaining of 8 pounds per day come into play? Would it mean you increasing value of 8 pounds x 1.50 dollars per day = 12 dollars a day? But then it doesn't make sense as if you are gaining more than you lose, why sell?

Please help and any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, the price of beef today is $1.50 per pound. In 10 days, the price drops to $1.30 per pound, but the steer now weighs 380 pounds.
You must write an equation which gives the profit on the sale of the steer as a function of days from the present time. There will be a point when profit is maximized, after which point the amount of profit declines due to the cost of feeding and keeping the steer while the sale price drops.

oh that makes sense, so would the equation be .02x^2+8x+300=0 or something? I need help with that too

If x is the number of days from the present time, what equation would give the future weight of the steer, if the steer gains 8 pounds per day? Likewise, you can write another formula for the price of beef, and another which determines the cost of keeping the steer before selling it. The profit from the sale of the steer will be the price for the steer at sale minus the cost of keeping the steer.

darshanpatel said:

Homework Statement

A steer weighing 300 pounds gains 8 pounds per day and costs 1.00 dollar a day to keep. You bought this steer today at market price of 1.50 dollars per pound. However, the market price is falling 2 cents per pound per day. When should you sell the steer in order to maximize your profit?
The weight of the steer, after "x" days will be 300+ 8x pounds. The market value will be 1.50- .02x dollars so you can sell it for a total of (300+ 8x)(1.50- .02x) dollars. That is the function you want to maximize.

Ohhh that makes so much sense and that is what we have been learning. Thanks for the help!

I am not getting the correct answer which is supposed to be about 16 days. I think you forgot about the cost to keep the steer is $1 a day and didn't factor that part in... How would you factor it in?I just figured it out but the correct formula would be (300+8x)(1.50-.02x)-x which gives you about 15.625 rounded= 16 days thanks for the help though

Last edited:

Related to Buying and Selling Beef Word Problem

1. What is the best way to determine the weight of beef for buying and selling purposes?

The most accurate way to determine the weight of beef is by using a scale specifically designed for weighing meat. This will provide an exact measurement and ensure fair pricing for both the buyer and seller.

2. How do I calculate the cost of beef for buying and selling purposes?

To calculate the cost of beef, you will need to know the weight of the beef and the price per pound. Multiply the weight by the price per pound to get the total cost. Keep in mind that the price per pound may vary depending on factors such as cut of meat and quality.

3. Is it better to buy beef in bulk or individual cuts?

This depends on your specific needs and preferences. Buying beef in bulk can be more cost-effective, but you will need adequate storage space and may have to portion and freeze the meat yourself. Individual cuts may be more convenient, but can be more expensive.

4. How do I ensure the quality of the beef I am buying?

When buying beef, look for marbling (fat within the muscle) as this indicates tenderness and flavor. Also, check the color and smell of the meat to ensure it is fresh. If possible, buy from a reputable source and ask about the animal's diet and living conditions.

5. What is the best way to store beef for selling purposes?

Beef should be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature below 40°F. If you will not be using it within a few days, it should be frozen. Wrap the beef tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn. Beef can be stored in the freezer for several months.