[Probability] Derangement / gambling problem

In summary: There is a more accurate way to express the error of the approximation, if you want to be able to say something more precise.
goraemon

Homework Statement

Alice proposes to Bob the following game. Bob pays one dollar to play. Fifty balls marked 1, 2, . . . , 50 are placed in a big jar, stirred around, and then drawn out one by one by Zori, who is wearing a blindfold. The result is a random permutation (let's call it s) of the integers 1, 2, . . . , 50. Bob wins with a payout of two dollars and fifty cents if the permutation s is a derangement, i.e., s(i) =/= i for all i = 1, 2, . . . , n. Is this a fair game for Bob? If not, how should the payoff be adjusted to make it fair?

Homework Equations

Derangement formula: ∑(k=from 0 to n) [(-1)^k * C(n,k) * (n-k)!]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this far:
Probability that any given random permutation is a derangement:
(num of all derangements) / (num of all permutations) = ∑(k=from 0 to n) [(-1)^k * C(n,k) * (n-k)!] / 50! ≈ 1/e

Then, computing the expected win/loss, given that he gains $2.50 (for a net profit of $2.50 - $1 - $1.50) if he wins, and is out $1.00 if he loses:
1.5(1/e) - 1(1-1/e) ≈ -0.08. (so on average, he'll lose roughly 8 cents per play)

Solving for the adjusted payment amount so that he'll break even in the long run...
(p-1)(1/e) - 1(1-1/e = 0
Solving for p, we get: p ≈ e

First, is the above correct? Right now I settled for an approximate answer (e) as the derangement equation seemed too messy to compute an exact answer. Is there a simpler way to get an exact answer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
goraemon said:

Homework Statement

Alice proposes to Bob the following game. Bob pays one dollar to play. Fifty balls marked 1, 2, . . . , 50 are placed in a big jar, stirred around, and then drawn out one by one by Zori, who is wearing a blindfold. The result is a random permutation (let's call it s) of the integers 1, 2, . . . , 50. Bob wins with a payout of two dollars and fifty cents if the permutation s is a derangement, i.e., s(i) =/= i for all i = 1, 2, . . . , n. Is this a fair game for Bob? If not, how should the payoff be adjusted to make it fair?

Homework Equations

Derangement formula: ∑(k=from 0 to n) [(-1)^k * C(n,k) * (n-k)!]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this far:
Probability that any given random permutation is a derangement:
(num of all derangements) / (num of all permutations) = ∑(k=from 0 to n) [(-1)^k * C(n,k) * (n-k)!] / 50! ≈ 1/e

Then, computing the expected win/loss, given that he gains $2.50 (for a net profit of $2.50 - $1 - $1.50) if he wins, and is out $1.00 if he loses:
1.5(1/e) - 1(1-1/e) ≈ -0.08. (so on average, he'll lose roughly 8 cents per play)

Solving for the adjusted payment amount so that he'll break even in the long run...
First, is the above correct? Right now I settled for an approximate answer (e) as the derangement equation seemed too messy to compute an exact answer. Is there a simpler way to get an exact answer? Thanks.

As Feller (Introduction to Probability Theory, Vol. I) points out, the probability that in a permutation of ##n## numbers exactly ##k## of the numbers match (that is, we have ##s(i) = i## for ##k## of the numbers from ##1## to ##n##) is
[tex] P(k \; \text{matches}) = \frac{1}{k!} \left( \frac{1}{0!} - \frac{1}{1!} + \frac{1}{2!} - \cdots \pm \frac{1}{(n-k)!} \right). [/tex]
In particular, for ##k = 0## and ##n = 50## we get your probability of a derangement (0 matches) as
[tex] P(\text{derangement}) = 1 - 1 + \frac{1}{2!} - \frac{1}{3!} + \cdots + \frac{1}{50!} [/tex]
This, of course, is the first 51 terms in the series expansion of ##e^{-1} = 1/e##, and because you have an alternating series, the error made in stopping the computation of ##1/e## at ##1/50!## is smaller than ##1/51! \approx 0.6446959640\, 10^{-66}##. So, your error in replacing the answer by ##1/e## is not too bad. Admittedly, this is an approximation, but the error would only show up at the 66th or 67th decimal place, if that is what you were worrying about.

Last edited:
Likes goraemon

Related to [Probability] Derangement / gambling problem

1. What is a derangement in probability?

A derangement in probability refers to a scenario where the outcome of an event is not what was expected or predicted based on probability calculations. It is essentially a deviation from the expected outcome.

2. How is derangement related to gambling?

Derangement in gambling refers to a situation where a player's bets do not yield the expected results based on the odds of the game. This can result in financial loss and can be a sign of a gambling problem.

3. What are the signs of a gambling problem?

Signs of a gambling problem include an inability to control gambling behavior, continued gambling despite negative consequences, and a preoccupation with gambling activities. Other signs may include borrowing money to gamble, lying about gambling habits, and neglecting personal or professional responsibilities.

4. Can derangement be a symptom of a larger gambling addiction?

Yes, derangement in gambling can be a symptom of a larger gambling addiction. When a person becomes addicted to gambling, they may engage in riskier and more impulsive behavior, leading to more frequent and severe derangements in their gambling outcomes.

5. What can be done to address a gambling problem?

If a person is struggling with a gambling problem, seeking professional help through therapy or support groups can be beneficial. It is also important to set limits on gambling activities, avoid triggers that may lead to gambling behavior, and find healthy coping mechanisms to replace the urge to gamble.