Bright light from white light connected 240ac through 1k

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of unsatisfactory brightness of 4 White LEDs connected to 240ac main through a 1K resistor in series. Possible solutions include using more LEDs, wiring them in parallel, lowering the resistance, or using a diode rectifier and capacitor to make the current DC. However, it is noted that working with 240V is dangerous and should only be done by licensed professionals. Concerns are also raised about the safety of the experiment.
pmostafa
I have connected 4 White LEDs with 240ac main through 1K resistor in series. The brightness of the output is not satisfactory. What can i resolve this issue?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
In what way is the brightness "unsatisfactory"?
How bright do you need?

Have you tried using more LEDs?
Have you tried wiring them in parallel?

Or lowering the resistance?

Diodes are often rated for their DC current. Often this is because the junction overheats if over driven. So if the LEDs are pulsed you might be able to go a little over their DC rating since temperatures are based on continuous current draw.

If that's not enough, use a diode rectifier and a capacitor to make your current DC. I doubt the power needs to be too clean, so nothing fancy.

pmostafa said:
I have connected 4 White LEDs with 240ac main through 1K resistor in series.
What is the white LED you are using?
240VAC with 1k in series will give a forward current of 240mA, then the reverse voltage will destroy the diodes.
The 1k resistor will need to be rated at 60 watt.

Baluncore picked up on the fact something seem very wrong in your description.

What you describe should have already gone up in smoke.

Can you assure us somehow that you experiment is not about to hurt you or some tiny fingers in your household ?

Since he got some light out of the diodes, I assumed he used appropriate parts.

Working with 240V is dangerous. Don't do it unless you are a licensed professional.

If the parts were chosen properly, the circuit should work. If they weren't, out comes the magic smoke. (At 240V this could be dangerous in so many ways.)

jim hardy said:
Can you assure us somehow that you experiment is not about to hurt you or some tiny fingers in your household ?

Agreed. Pmostafa, I'm locking this thread for the time being. If you wish, please send me a message and we can discuss reopening it.

Likes berkeman

Related to Bright light from white light connected 240ac through 1k

1. What is the purpose of connecting 240ac through 1k in relation to bright white light?

The purpose of connecting 240ac through 1k is to regulate the amount of voltage and current flowing through the circuit in order to produce a bright white light. The 1k resistor acts as a load to reduce the voltage and control the amount of current passing through the circuit, resulting in a brighter light.

2. What is the difference between bright light and white light?

Bright light refers to the intensity or luminosity of light, while white light refers to the color temperature of the light. Bright light can come in various colors, but white light has a color temperature of around 5000K to 6500K, which is similar to natural daylight.

3. How does the type of bulb used affect the brightness of the light?

The type of bulb used can greatly affect the brightness of the light. Different bulbs have different wattages, which determines the amount of power they consume. A higher wattage bulb will produce a brighter light compared to a lower wattage bulb. Additionally, the type of bulb also affects the color temperature of the light, which can also impact the perceived brightness.

4. Is connecting 240ac through 1k safe?

Connecting 240ac through 1k can be safe if done correctly. It is important to use the appropriate resistor for the specific circuit and to ensure that all connections are secure. It is also important to follow safety precautions and handle electricity with caution to prevent any accidents.

5. Can the brightness of the light be adjusted by changing the voltage or resistance?

Yes, the brightness of the light can be adjusted by changing the voltage or resistance in the circuit. Increasing the voltage will provide more power to the light, resulting in a brighter light. Similarly, changing the resistance, either by using a different resistor or adjusting the current, can also impact the brightness of the light.