High-Power LEDs -- Maximum 'Lumen-Density'?

In summary, LEDs are becoming more popular for high-power lamps, as they are more efficient and last longer.
Solid-Statist
TL;DR Summary
On a LED semiconductor wafer, what is the maximum density of 'light production' per area?
Does the semiconductor substrate matter in maximizing density?
Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are replacing traditional lighting technology -- such as halogen -- in high-power lamps, as LEDs are much more efficient (Lumens/W) and longer-lasting.

A commercial example of high-power LED flood lights: High Power 3000W LED Flood Light - Lsleds

1654623262149.png
NOTE: The above Chinese unit has an array has 72 lamps, so each lamp's LED semiconductor(s) consume about 42W, which translates to as much as 8000 lumens from a single lamp.

QUESTIONS:

What is the maximum density of high-power LED arrays that can be printed on a semiconductor wafer, with the metrics of Lumens-output or Watts-consumed per area? (This is independent of packaging the semiconductors into a subassembly and considerations of cooling during operation.)

Is maximum density of high-power LED arrays a function of semiconductor type? (Si, SiC, GaAs, Sapphire, etc)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe this is an ill-considered question. Heat will always be the issue and no one will design an LED die which will melt in milliseconds.

hutchphd said:
I believe this is an ill-considered question. Heat will always be the issue and no one will design an LED die which will melt in milliseconds.
No doubt that would be true with conventional LED packaging.

This was just a theoretical question. Perhaps if it's rephrased...

Assuming that you have a tank of liquid nitrogen (or cooling equiv) to keep the LED die temp at/below its maximum limit ... what is the maximum density of high-power LED arrays that can be printed on a semiconductor wafer, with the metrics of Lumens-output or Watts-consumed per area?

Solid-Statist said:
what is the maximum density of high-power LED arrays that can be printed on a semiconductor wafer, with the metrics of Lumens-output or Watts-consumed per area?
It may be easiest just to find out what a typical high power LED die's dimensions are, since the scribe lines to break the wafer into die will be small compared to the die dimensions. Will that give you what you need? Do you know the typical die dimensions for some high power LED die that you are looking at?

I'll page @nsaspook since this question is right in the middle of his wheelhouse.

Also, I did a Google search on high power led fabrication wafer and got some pretty good hits. Here are a couple of them in case they help:

https://www.planetanalog.com/led-single-die-solutions-for-high-power-products/

https://www.universitywafer.com/silicon-based-gan-led-wafer.html

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, dlgoff, Solid-Statist and 1 other person
berkeman said:
It may be easiest just to find out what a typical high power LED die's dimensions are, since the scribe lines to break the wafer into die will be small compared to the die dimensions. Will that give you what you need? Do you know the typical die dimensions for some high power LED die that you are looking at?
Yes, that methodology would work great to determine the state-of-the-art 'maximum lumen density' of LED technology. I don't (yet) know much about existing "typical die dimensions for some high power LED die", but know what to ask. Perhaps if I re-rephrase the questions:

In high-power LED subassemblies that you may be familiar with, what is the semiconductor-die dimension and its lumen/wattage-rating? What semiconductor substrate is used?

Also, nice googling skills. Great article on 'single-die solutions', learned a lot ... thanks so much!

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Solid-Statist said:
I don't (yet) know much about existing "typical die dimensions for some high power LED die", but know what to ask.

I think you can get a reasonable estimate of the die size from this figure from the first link that I posted to the Plessey power LED information:

1654629225275.png

...and the datasheet info for their 7070 series LED that the article talks about. It looks like the base is 7mmX7mm, so if you assume that the drawing above is to scale, that will let you estimate the dimensions of that die. Datasheet info found here:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/leds/1696969

Likes Solid-Statist
berkeman said:
It looks like the base is 7mmX7mm, so if you assume that the drawing above is to scale, that will let you estimate the dimensions of that die.

Let’s give this a shot…
1654621667297.png

In the drawing, the high-power LED die is about 1/5th the length of the 7x7mm package, so the die length would be 1.4mm and its area about 2mm^2.

The Plessey datasheet notes a power level of up to 15W for the device, so that would mean the maximum thermal load on the die could reach 7.5 W/mm^2, or over 4800 W/sqin. Does that sound right?

hutchphd said:
Here's some low-power small ones :
https://www.i-micronews.com/wafer-level-micro-led-matrix-delivers-high-brightness-at-2540dpi/
The Plessey mentioned by @berkeman is likely a multi-junction die (probably 3 in series} so slightly different in design. The devil is in the detail.

From a relative standpoint, how much do "low-power" LEDs differ from high-power LEDs in their maximum lumen- or power-density?

The Plessey paper on LED Single-Die Solutions notes that this configuration has an advantage over "multi-junction die" in that there is no dimming or shadowing in the light output at the gaps between dies (see below).

1654622801780.png

1. What is the maximum lumen-density of high-power LEDs?

The maximum lumen-density of high-power LEDs varies depending on the specific LED and its design. However, on average, high-power LEDs can produce up to 150-200 lumens per watt.

2. How does the lumen-density of high-power LEDs compare to traditional light sources?

High-power LEDs have a significantly higher lumen-density than traditional light sources such as incandescent bulbs and fluorescent tubes. This is due to their more efficient use of energy and advanced design.

3. Can high-power LEDs be used for lighting in large spaces?

Yes, high-power LEDs can be used for lighting in large spaces. They are commonly used in commercial and industrial settings, as well as in outdoor lighting applications.

4. Are there any safety concerns with high-power LEDs?

High-power LEDs are generally considered safe for use. However, it is important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines to prevent any potential hazards. Additionally, some high-power LEDs may emit blue light, which can have potential health effects if exposed to for extended periods of time.

5. How do I choose the right high-power LED for my needs?

When choosing a high-power LED, it is important to consider factors such as lumen output, color temperature, and beam angle. It is also important to ensure that the LED is compatible with the intended application and has a reliable source of power.